Carnival Sunshine: the good, the bad and the ugly.

EZ4

We are interested in hearing any and all opinions of the Carnival Sunshine. Please post it here, for those of us that are interested in hearing about EVERYTHING that is going on with that ship. :)

It's gonna take a while for people to get back to you here because there haven't been enough cruises yet for people to chime in on the good, bad, and ugly.

I know one thing that is good.....I'm booked on the Sunshine ;) :p :D

We are on the June 28 sailing, with another family. We have six active teenagers between us, who will want to swim, play mini-gold, use the sports deck. etc. I am really hoping ALL of these things are up and operational by that time. As for the problems in the rooms, I am scared to death of flooding problems, non-working toilets, no A/C. Those are things that are truly deal breakers for me and my husband. Trying to be optimistic, but need to know what the "truth" is. If the ship is not ready, I would rather reschedule and take another Carnival Cruise, on a different ship. Our TA is looking into that right now, just in case.

'Fingers crossed that all will be well :confused:

I was reading SS's thread and saw that only some decks, the cabins get refrigerators added to their cabin.. why just some decks. He was on deck 8, not one of the decks.

Anyone know why? I thought that was curious. Not a big deal, but Im curious.

I was reading SS's thread and saw that only some decks, the cabins get refrigerators added to their cabin.. why just some decks. He was on deck 8, not one of the decks.

Saw that and was curios as well. Was wondering if it was only the cabins they added that had them. Love to hear from some cruisers.

According to goccl.com, the cabins with refrigerators are all suites and cabins on decks 3,5,10,11,12 and some on deck 9. So it looks like the only cabins that got refrigerators were the newly added ones. Plus it looks like even the existing cabins on deck 10 got them as well. Maybe because they were spa cabins they got a bigger remodel and everything was gutted? It looks like in the regular cabins they just used the existing cabinetry.

I have a friend on board right now who is pretty well known here at CC.. many of you have read his cruise reviews from CCL, NCL, RCL.. This is some of what he has to say about the 'lack of doneness' of the SunDestiny..

Not long after sailaway:

• Greetings from the Sunshine. The ship is beautiful and very tastefully done. Things seem to be up and running. Waterworks is up and running fine. The slides are huge and very fast. We both loved them. The Serenity area is massive and very nice. Tons of seating with a lot of private spots. The pool and waterfall is really nice. It stands out for sure.

Other then that, you can tell some stuff is not quite done. Basically, some painting here and there, etc. It is nothing big, but you can see it. There must still be some cabin issues because the line at Guest Services is pretty long. I ordered a ton of stuff from Bon Voyage and received one item.... Not a big deal. I am interested to see how some of design elements of the ship work with the crowds. It is a very different layout now. All in all, they did a really nice job with it.

Just yesterday:

I'm fairly certain he will regurgitate much of this info when he gets back from his cruise. He didn't have the energy or time to review his Asia cruise last month..maybe he'll find some time for the SunDestiny.

we re booked on june 16 a deck 3 cabin.. i didnt do my homework to realize it is a newely added cabin .. now i am worried more than ever about flooded cabins and air condition/water issues .. if anyone hears about anything good or bad on deck3 pls post or point me to it .

i will be more concerned about cabins than the swimming pool. thx

We are on the June 7th sailing deck 11 spa balcony. I to was hesitant to be optimistic based on the cc biased slant. After reading Sarge's eyes on / camera on reviews I am very confident that the Destshine will be just fine...

We are on the June 7th sailing deck 11 spa balcony. I to was hesitant to be optimistic based on the cc biased slant. After reading Sarge's eyes on / camera on reviews I am very confident that the Destshine will be just fine...

i have been reading his thread and the photos are amazing, but he didnt and greatly doubt he will comment about any cabin issues

You have to admit it dose look better than anything that Carnival has put out. Hope to try it out soon

I hear Breeze is pretty amazing.. and I loved Magic.

I am not sure I am going to agree it looks better .. but I will certainly find out myself and be on her eventually.

Over all the Breeze is nice,however I think when the revamped Destiny hits the states your going read more reviews of people feeling crowded, like the Breeze. From the pictures she resembles the Breeze except the Serenity on lido.

The Sunshine theater is less than half the size of the Destiny. To make more room for bars and cabins. The Destiny years ago had the good shows that could fill her theater and I have seen that, but with the cutbacks now this very very small theater that is on the Sunshine is this what Carnival is saying about their shows that they are that bad no one wants to come see anymore

The Sunshine theater is less than half the size of the Destiny. To make more room for bars and cabins. The Destiny years ago had the good shows that could fill her theater and I have seen that, but with the cutbacks now this very very small theater that is on the Sunshine is this what Carnival is saying about their shows that they are that bad no one wants to come see anymore

Do you know how much it cost to produce one of the new playlist production shows compared to one of the older shows?

...or it could be the Suntiny. I wouldn't mind having a cruise on it. :D

Do you know how much it cost to produce one of the new playlist production shows compared to one of the older shows?

Probably about the same as other cruise lines. Are you trying to justify a cutback?

Over all the Breeze is nice,however I think when the revamped Destiny hits the states your going read more reviews of people feeling crowded, like the Breeze. From the pictures she resembles the Breeze except the Serenity on lido.

Interesting, never felt crowded on the Breeze. thought the flow was good. Avoided the center Lido buffet area.

Pat

We are just back from the Sunshine and can say I never felt any more crowded. Flow through the ship is good and the Lido buffet's layout was well done in my opinion. The theater is fine and is large enough. I did not go after to the Liquid Lounge and could not tell you anything about that. The Serenity Decks are fantastic and busy on our last sea day there were not to many seats available but you could get one in a short period of time. We had only minor problems with lighting in our cabin but it was repaired within an hour. The crew is great and really made the trip. My only complaint was "Cucina del CRAPitano"....... For a ship with an Italian Captain the food was not very good at all. Let me just say Spaghetti Warehouse is a Five Star restaurant compared this place. Food is bland and we did not eat it. I hope they get this corrected. Ji Ji Asian and is Fahrenheit 555 are FANTASTIC.

I have a friend on board right now who is pretty well known here at CC.. many of you have read his cruise reviews from CCL, NCL, RCL.. This is some of what he has to say about the 'lack of doneness' of the SunDestiny..

Not long after sailaway:

• Greetings from the Sunshine. The ship is beautiful and very tastefully done. Things seem to be up and running. Waterworks is up and running fine. The slides are huge and very fast. We both loved them. The Serenity area is massive and very nice. Tons of seating with a lot of private spots. The pool and waterfall is really nice. It stands out for sure.

Other then that, you can tell some stuff is not quite done. Basically, some painting here and there, etc. It is nothing big, but you can see it. There must still be some cabin issues because the line at Guest Services is pretty long. I ordered a ton of stuff from Bon Voyage and received one item.... Not a big deal. I am interested to see how some of design elements of the ship work with the crowds. It is a very different layout now. All in all, they did a really nice job with it.

Just yesterday:

• So we checked in at the Guest Services about our bill and realized we had a bunch of credit. $50 each for the pool, etc and another $70 each for some tax mess up or something. $240 total so I will take it.

• Other then that, the more I go around the more stuff I notice that is not ready. None of it is a huge deal, but it is quite a bit of little things. Elevators are not working, flooring is not complete, the putt putt is roped off, the pool (obviously). Again, not huge, but it needed another week or so in the shop.

• I honestly cant say that I am too wild about the set up. It is just weird to have things on two floors and there seems to be dead ends here and there that disrupt the flow.

I'm fairly certain he will regurgitate much of this info when he gets back from his cruise. He didn't have the energy or time to review his Asia cruise last month..maybe he'll find some time for the SunDestiny.

What would cost money at the pool for you to have a $50 credit? I'm confused.

Oh, got it. Thanks!!! I was worried there were hidden costs I didnt know about.:p

Careful! Don't give them any ideas!

Hmmm... pool charge... towel charge... lounger charge... :eek:

Archived