Carnival Sunshine: the good, the bad and the ugly.

EZ4

I have not been keeping track, so can anyone tell me what the plans are for their next new - not overhauled - ship are? Aside from likely having a low passenger space ratio, any specifics?

It's certainly less expensive to make a "new" ship from an old one, "Greener" I suppose too, though you can only do so much.

I wonder why some lines can make major changes, and yet acknowledge that it's still the same ship. RCI's Enchantment of the Seas comes to mind (was, and still is, the Enchantment):

i-BGjb74w-L.jpg

Was Carnival the first to try and pass off a (major) dry docked cruise ship as "new"?

i-5Vd573Z-L.jpg

Tom

Cool pic of that ship being sliced-n-diced. But RCI does make note that the ships are "new" on their site, even tho they don't change the name. I am indifferent in the thought of misleading marketing b/c I do my research before spending my money. But it's still the same....marketing an older, modified ship as new. :-)

Cool pic of that ship being sliced-n-diced. But RCI does make note that the ships are "new" on their site, even tho they don't change the name. I am indifferent in the thought of misleading marketing b/c I do my research before spending my money. But it's still the same....marketing an older, modified ship as new. :-)

Thanks!

Tom

We are thinking about a Cruise on the Carnival Sunshine in May 2014, I heard it was re-done somewhat. any good things about the ship. I guess I can check to compare it to the Glory, Dream or Magic. We have been on them. thanks:D

You won't recognize it. It's a great ship. I'm doing a photo review here:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1845665

Hardly misleading. Carnival has been running for several months information, videos, etc on the transformation.

Hardly misleading. Carnival has been running for several months information, videos, etc on the transformation.

Renaming an (old) ship and labeling it as NEW on their website...

You say that's "Hardly misleading" ! :eek:

For the record, are you aware of any other cruise line which has renamed a ship (not talking about a ship transferred to another line)?

Thanks,

Tom

Never heard of Stena (guess I live under one of those bridges).

Do you happen to have before/after names of those RCCL or NCL which have gone through "the change"? Just for my own edification...

Tom

Costa Romantica

Costa Eugenio C

Costa Enrico C

Costa Amerikanis

Cunard Vistafjord

Cunard Saxonia

RCCL Nordic Empress

NCL Seaward

NCL Dreamward

Princess - Tahitian Princess

Viking River Cruises - Viking Burgandy

The always popular Holiday Kreuzfahrten Lili Marleen

there are more.

Most of the people complaining have never been on Carnival Sunshine. :eek:

Im beginning to think people just like to complain. It doesnt matter what, they just want to find something to be negative about.

I went over to the Quatum boards which have a special area and the worst thread is the one called why are you dissapointed in the Quantum. The main complaint I see are things like, "it took too long from the time they announced the name to when they started to reveal the ship". How can the thread be two pages long when not one person is dissapointed in the ship itself, just the way its being revealed? The ship isn't even built yet and the people are complaining because they don't know things.

I like the Carnival boards better. I think there are less negative Debby Downers over here. At least there are more newbies over here excited to cruise.

Costa Romantica

Costa Eugenio C

Costa Enrico C

Costa Amerikanis

Cunard Vistafjord

Cunard Saxonia

RCCL Nordic Empress

NCL Seaward

NCL Dreamward

Princess - Tahitian Princess

Viking River Cruises - Viking Burgandy

The always popular Holiday Kreuzfahrten Lili Marleen

there are more.

Before/after ... I can't really make this out from your list. (Not trying to be picky... REALLY!) Did the Seaward become the Dreamward?

I was not thinking along the lines of river cruises, though Cheryl tells me we're doing that down the road! :)

Tom

Before/after ... I can't really make this out from your list. (Not trying to be picky... REALLY!) Did the Seaward become the Dreamward?

I was not thinking along the lines of river cruises, though Cheryl tells me we're doing that down the road! :)

Tom

http://www.cruise-ships.com/cruiseships/renamed/sort/crew/

Seaward - > Norwegian Sea

Dreamward -> Norwegian Nightmare, um Dream

what happened to all the NCL ships that once were doing Hawaii?

I have not been keeping track, so can anyone tell me what the plans are for their next new - not overhauled - ship are? Aside from likely having a low passenger space ratio, any specifics?

It's certainly less expensive to make a "new" ship from an old one, "Greener" I suppose too, though you can only do so much.

I wonder why some lines can make major changes, and yet acknowledge that it's still the same ship. RCI's Enchantment of the Seas comes to mind (was, and still is, the Enchantment):

i-BGjb74w-L.jpg

Was Carnival the first to try and pass off a (major) dry docked cruise ship as "new"?

i-5Vd573Z-L.jpg

Tom

Ok...so now I am curious! What class of ship is the Sunshine?? :confused:

I ask - because between this Destiny to Sunshine "transformation" and the 2.0 upgrades that have been done on some ships - and not others - I am finding it more and more difficult to figure out which ships have which things.

Used to be that if you booked a particular class you kinda knew what was there...fish and chips on the Conquest Class, for instance.

But that is no longer the case - even with in a class! :o

Ok...so now I am curious! What class of ship is the Sunshine?? :confused:

I ask - because between this Destiny to Sunshine "transformation" and the 2.0 upgrades that have been done on some ships - and not others - I am finding it more and more difficult to figure out which ships have which things.

Used to be that if you booked a particular class you kinda knew what was there...fish and chips on the Conquest Class, for instance.

But that is no longer the case - even with in a class! :o

Destiny was a class of 1 as is Sunshine with the Sunshine Class.

Those who claim to have cruised on all Carnival ships now have one more to go. :)

http://www.cruise-ships.com/cruiseships/renamed/sort/crew/

Seaward - > Norwegian Sea

Dreamward -> Norwegian Nightmare, um Dream

what happened to all the NCL ships that once were doing Hawaii?

Thanks for the link. Interesting site - though you'd think under a section about renamed ships that they'd have both names cited!

I do recall the NCL Pride of Hawaii rename (to the Jade), now that you mention it. Of course the ship was named with the intent of it sailing around the Hawaiian islands. When that did not work out well for NCL, they moved it to Europe. Guess it made sense to rename it in that case!

Tom

Pretty cool pictures of the ship

Not crazy about the Atrium art stuff though. Usually Carnival goes over the top for their atriums.

Never saw a library bar before. Great idea but people love to talk and drink. Wonder how well the concept works.

It doesn't, the bar is mis-named. It should be the games bar, while there is a bookcase and comfy chairs there are also games and game/card tables along with the inescapable piped music. The bar maid is a very good one tho, lovely girl.

Archived