Slower to the fun

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:28 AM.
new york state
100 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Not interested in spending the $ for FTTF. Also not a big fan of long lines. We usually get to port about 11 and wait with the herd. Anyone have experience showing up in the afternoon after the crowds? We will be on the Breeze out of Miami this summer.
Tucson, AZ
2,015 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by Ilovesailaway
Not interested in spending the $ for FTTF. Also not a big fan of long lines. We usually get to port about 11 and wait with the herd. Anyone have experience showing up in the afternoon after the crowds? We will be on the Breeze out of Miami this summer.
Last 2 cruises I have been on regular check in was fast than VIP check in. Try getting to port about 1/2hr earlier and you will not have much in the form of lines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise line # of Cruises

Carnival 73
RCL 1
NCL 1
Regent 1
brooklyn
787 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I'm platinum and before they introduced Fttf it was hit or miss if our room was ready ( yea I always went thru the doors even before I was plat)
So we always elected to board late
Typically we find a local place eat a bit and start the libations
We probably saved money as the drinks were much cheaper
We walk right on and right to the room
Now it's ready early so we go early
Hope that helps
Northest PA
651 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Platinum and FTTF are great at ports with tenders because of the priority tendering.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Imagination - Jan. 2001, Explorer of the Seas - Jan 2002, Conquest - Jan 2003 Glory - Nov 2003
Legend - Jan 2005, Liberty - Nov 2005, Sensation - Aug 2006, Imagination - Jan 2009
Pride - Oct 2013, Jan 2014, Oct 2014, Oct 2015, Feb 2016, Apr 2017
St. Louis, Missouri
239 Posts
Joined May 2009
Last February we cruised out of Miami on the Breeze. The earlier hotel shuttles to the port were already booked, so we couldn't leave until 1:00. We got to the ship about 1:30 and there were no lines. We were pleasantly surprised. We are leaving next Sunday and are kind of hoping that we end up with the later shuttle. The hotel allowed us to have late check out and we just hung around the pool.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Cruises: Victory-July 2009, Glory-Jan. 2012 B2B and Jan 2016, Breeze-Feb. 2013, Liberty-Feb. 2013, Conquest-Jan. 2014 & Jan. 2015
Norwegian - Dawn-Jan. 2012
Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas - May 2011
Windjammer Barefoot Cruises - 6 cruises from June 1996 until July 2007
15,246 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Glad youre saving the $50 that most people cant wait to spend so they can board 5-10 min earlier.
Chicago area
1,971 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by riclop
Glad youre saving the $50 that most people cant wait to spend so they can board 5-10 min earlier.
Most people? Not many get FTTF and the only benefit is not to board early. I always go to the port early and get on the ship early, but it is nice to get to the room and drop your stuff off. And there are some other benefits. Sorry you are so hard up that you can't afford $50.
Iowa
1,041 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by cccer
Sorry you are so hard up that you can't afford $50.
Now now, children. Let's play nice. Or it will be time out for you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

02/2017 Carnival Glory,
09/2016 Carnival Vista, 12/2016 Carnival Conquest
04/2015 Carnival Valor, 12/2015 Carnival Dream
03/2014 Carnival Breeze, 06/2014 Carnival Miracle, 12/2014 Carnival Breeze
01/2013 Carnival Glory, 11/2013 Carnival Conquest
01/2012 Carnival Liberty, 11/2012 Carnival Liberty
01/2011 Carnival Triumph
01/2010 Carnival Miracle
03/2006 Carnival Conquest
03/2004 Carnival Conquest
04/2002 Carnival Victory
Kansas
2,307 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Wow. What's an extra $50 if you are already booked on a cruise? Its not always about the early boarding. It has nothing to so with boarding 5-10 minutes earlier than others. Sheesh.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2016: November 27 - Carnival Vista - Western Caribbean - celebrating life cruise
2016: September 18 - Carnival Breeze Western Caribbean - 2nd annual birthday cruise
2015: September 21 - Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean - Mom & Daughter cruise with my girls, sister & niece (also my B-Day cruise!)
2015: July 18 - Carnival Breeze Eastern Caribbean - cruisin with the in-laws!
2015: March 15 - Carnival Dream Western Caribbean - Spring Break!
2014: July 19 - Carnival Liberty - Exotic Eastern Caribbean ~ the "been here, done that" cruise for just hubby & I
2014: March 16 - Carnival Freedom - Daughter's wedding cruise! Taking the whole family...all 13 of us!
2013: July 27 - Carnival Freedom Southern Caribbean- 10 year Anniversary/Hubby's 50th Birthday celebration cruise!
2013: July 21 - Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean- first B2B!
2011: July 9 - Carnival Dream Western Caribbean-- sail away party on the wrap around balcony baby!
2011: Februry 7 - Elation Western Caribbean -Beat the winter blues cruise!
2009: July 4 - Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean-- 40th birthday celebration!
2008: August 4 - RCCL Sovereign of The Seas Bahamas -- Me and my hunny
2008:
February 23 - RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western Caribbean --PiChi trip
2006: October 16 - Ecstasy Western Caribbean--The Bowling Stones! (chick trip)
2006: May 29 - RCCL Majesty of the Sea Bahama's--Brinin' the kids!
2005: July 3 - Carnival Miracle Western Caribbean--Just the two of us!
3,352 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
You can't convince them that they are being ripped off! FTTW = Faster to your wallet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruises

02/2017 Grand Princess - Hawaii
11/2016 Royal Princess - Caribbean
10/2016 Caribbean Princess - New England
5/2016 Carnival Legend - Alaska
4/2016 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2/2016 Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
1/2016 Ruby Princess - Hawaii
12/2015 Island Princess - Panama Canal
9/2015 Carnival Miracle - Mexico
5/2015 Golden Princess - Alaska
4/2015 Crown Princess - California Coastal
1/2015 Star Princess - Hawaii
10/2014 Star Princess--Mexico
8/2014 Carnival Imagination--Mexico
5/2014 Star Princess (Alaska)
2/2014 Sapphire Princess--Mexico
11/2013 Grand Princess--Hawaii
8/2013 Carnival Miracle--Alaska
1/2013 Inspiration--Mexico
1/2013 Inspiration (b2b)--Mexico
10/2012 Island Princess (Panama Canal)
10/2010 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
10/2010 Carnival Spirit-b2b--Mexico
1/2010 Carnival Splendor--Mexico
1/2009 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
11/2007 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
1/2004 Diamond Princess--Mexico
11/2003 Carnival Pride--Mexico
12/2002 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1/2001 Carnival Elation--Mexico
5/2000 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1986 - RCCL Song of America--Caribbean
1984 - RCCL Song of Norway-
-Caribbean
3,352 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by cccer
Most people? Not many get FTTF and the only benefit is not to board early. I always go to the port early and get on the ship early, but it is nice to get to the room and drop your stuff off. And there are some other benefits. Sorry you are so hard up that you can't afford $50.

How do you know this? Maybe some people are just smarter at boarding than you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruises

02/2017 Grand Princess - Hawaii
11/2016 Royal Princess - Caribbean
10/2016 Caribbean Princess - New England
5/2016 Carnival Legend - Alaska
4/2016 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2/2016 Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
1/2016 Ruby Princess - Hawaii
12/2015 Island Princess - Panama Canal
9/2015 Carnival Miracle - Mexico
5/2015 Golden Princess - Alaska
4/2015 Crown Princess - California Coastal
1/2015 Star Princess - Hawaii
10/2014 Star Princess--Mexico
8/2014 Carnival Imagination--Mexico
5/2014 Star Princess (Alaska)
2/2014 Sapphire Princess--Mexico
11/2013 Grand Princess--Hawaii
8/2013 Carnival Miracle--Alaska
1/2013 Inspiration--Mexico
1/2013 Inspiration (b2b)--Mexico
10/2012 Island Princess (Panama Canal)
10/2010 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
10/2010 Carnival Spirit-b2b--Mexico
1/2010 Carnival Splendor--Mexico
1/2009 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
11/2007 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
1/2004 Diamond Princess--Mexico
11/2003 Carnival Pride--Mexico
12/2002 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1/2001 Carnival Elation--Mexico
5/2000 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1986 - RCCL Song of America--Caribbean
1984 - RCCL Song of Norway-
-Caribbean
iowa
750 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I am elite and with all the plat and the FTTF on the cruises sometimes the regular line gets on earlier. My last 2 cruises 1 out of New Orleans, and 1 out of Miami The non plat members of our family got on first. The lounge is very crowded at times and I have waited 1 hour to get checked in.

debkjw
5,382 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by elliair
You can't convince them that they are being ripped off! FTTW = Faster to your wallet.
How is it being ripped off if you are getting exactly what is advertised? Try coming up with a new, accurate word to express your anger over this program. I have used it, got my money's worth, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Barbados
26,596 Posts
Joined May 2007
Glad you're saving the $50 that most people cant wait to spend
- so they can board 5-10 min earlier.
Yeaahh but they're Special People, not like the rest of us.

They mustn't be kept waiting!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

St. Louis
178 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
No.
Like you, i usually get to port around 11, go through check in, drop soda off in my room and meet room steward, grab a bite to eat and the room is typically ready by then.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2014 - Carnival Glory - Exotic Eastern Caribbean
2014 - Carnival Elation - Progreso and Cozumel
2016 - Carnival Glory - Journey Cruise

Upcoming Cruise:

April. 2017 - Carnival Miracle - Mexican Riviera
December 2017 -Carnival Fascination -Southern Caribbean Part Deux
November 2018 - Norwegian Star - Panama Canal Transit

Florida
564 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I sailed the breeze last summer. got to the port about 11.30 and only had about a 25 minute wait. not a problem.

Originally posted by JMAE
Platinum and FTTF are great at ports with tenders because of the priority tendering.
The tendering is the only reason I can think of that makes it worthwhile.

I did need to speak to guest services a couple of times. I went while I was waiting for my wife to get ready for dinner. I had the time spare and only had a few people in front of me. there was also a queue at the fttf / vip counter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-----------------------------
1978 SS uganda - 14 day med
2007 NCL Majesty - Bermuda
2009 NCL Spirit - 15 day repo
2011 RCL Enchantment (aka disembowelment) of the sea.
2013 june - Carnival Breeze.. 8 days
2015 june - Carnival breeze.. 8 days
2015 Nov. NCL star 7 days.
2016 Jan NCL Star 7 days
Indiana
322 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
I've never been on carnival. Our first cruise is in May. I've cruised DCL, NCCL, and RCCL in the past. As I'm sure you can see from my signature

I use CC a lot prior to a cruise; mostly visiting the Roll Call or the specific Cruise line boards. Given that fact I have never really participated in a carnival thread. My only interaction with Carnival forums,of any kind, are on John Heald's FB page. Love him. And the people I've interacted with there.

I have been visiting the carnival forums now for a couple of
Months getting prepared for our first CCL vaca!
My time spent on these boards has made me a little apprehensive . Why?? Well there seems to be more angry cruisers on these boards than I'm used to seeing on the other boards. . Well they seem angry based on snide, mean, rude, or whatever term you want to give to the type of comments I see on some of these threads. Not saying this one in particular is that bad.... Just got me to thinking about it and so I posted here!

Having said that.... I've read a few threads lately about FTTF and have noticed the anger it causes in some people.

I bought the FTTF (for our cruise in May) for one reason... I felt it was a small amount to pay for the convenience of being able to drop my carry ons in the room when we board. That's it. I'm not looking to trample or shove anyone out of their place in line. I do not think I'm elite or special (although my mom does )

I am not a rude or presumptuous person. And I try to be very open minded and fair. I'm sad that I now feel as though I better hide my card from view of others, or risk the wrath of the experienced carnival cruiser with an axe to grind over the FTTF program.

I truly hope this doesn't come across as rude or mean spirited.... Because that's not my intention. I'm just saddened to be running into flame type comments so often on these boards.
Oh and all you cruisers who offer constructive replies and encouragement to others... You are the reason I keep reading!! Fortunately, at the end of the day, I see a lot of nice people here!
So..... On May 2nd if you are boarding the Sunshine in Port Canaveral and see a somewhat tall blonde (I know great description) being accosted because of her FTTF status.... I'm looking to YOU, kind Carnival cruisers, to come to my rescue!! Lol.
You all have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing!
Christine

Upcoming cruises-
RCCL Oasis of the Seas March 5, 2017
MSC Seaside Jan 6, 2018
NCL Bliss Dec 1, 2018

Past Cruises
NCL Escape Dec 10, 2016
CCL Triumph May 14, 2016
CCL Liberty March 1, 2015
CCL Sunshine 2014
DCL Fantasy 2013
DCL Dream 2012
DCL Fantasy 2012
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 2011
DCL Dream 2011
DCL Wonder 2010
DCL Wonder 2009
DCL Magic 2009
NCL Dream- 2005

My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to Mexico on 05/14/2016 aboard the Carnival Triumph! Visit Carnival.com to see all Mexico cruises.
RI
1,645 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
We cruised out of Miami last APRIL, friends of ours purchased the FTTF we really didn't want to spend the extra money....yeah we timed how long it took from when they boarded till we till we did... It was 5 minutes....I get how its nice your cabin is already ready(which to us no big, I love exploring the ship and getting my first Funship Special) or they have their own line at the desk, and for excursions, but the way I look at it, we get to the port early enough and also we did without it before and we were fine, why get it now.. But to each is own.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

t=1188905&highlight[/url]= My Dream Review!! April 2010
Past cruises,
RCl Enchantment of the Seas 1998
Disney Wonder 2008
Carnival Dream 2010
Carnival Freedom 2011
Carnival Miracle 2012 and Master Mixologist Winner!! WOOHOO!Have you had your "Woohoo Wonder" today?
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1639925 my Miracle Review...Finally!
Carnival Breeze 2013 (fabulous cruise)
Carnival Breeze 2014
Carnival Sunshine 2015(loved it)
Breezing with my Babe on the Breeze 2016 for our 20th Anniversary!
Up next..Christmas in the Carribean!! Magic 12/17
England
304 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Originally posted by indychristine
I've never been on carnival. Our first cruise is in May. I've cruised DCL, NCCL, and RCCL in the past. As I'm sure you can see from my signature

I use CC a lot prior to a cruise; mostly visiting the Roll Call or the specific Cruise line boards. Given that fact I have never really participated in a carnival thread. My only interaction with Carnival forums,of any kind, are on John Heald's FB page. Love him. And the people I've interacted with there.

I have been visiting the carnival forums now for a couple of
Months getting prepared for our first CCL vaca!
My time spent on these boards has made me a little apprehensive . Why?? Well there seems to be more angry cruisers on these boards than I'm used to seeing on the other boards. . Well they seem angry based on snide, mean, rude, or whatever term you want to give to the type of comments I see on some of these threads. Not saying this one in particular is that bad.... Just got me to thinking about it and so I posted here!

Having said that.... I've read a few threads lately about FTTF and have noticed the anger it causes in some people.

I bought the FTTF (for our cruise in May) for one reason... I felt it was a small amount to pay for the convenience of being able to drop my carry ons in the room when we board. That's it. I'm not looking to trample or shove anyone out of their place in line. I do not think I'm elite or special (although my mom does )

I am not a rude or presumptuous person. And I try to be very open minded and fair. I'm sad that I now feel as though I better hide my card from view of others, or risk the wrath of the experienced carnival cruiser with an axe to grind over the FTTF program.

I truly hope this doesn't come across as rude or mean spirited.... Because that's not my intention. I'm just saddened to be running into flame type comments so often on these boards.
Oh and all you cruisers who offer constructive replies and encouragement to others... You are the reason I keep reading!! Fortunately, at the end of the day, I see a lot of nice people here!
So..... On May 2nd if you are boarding the Sunshine in Port Canaveral and see a somewhat tall blonde (I know great description) being accosted because of her FTTF status.... I'm looking to YOU, kind Carnival cruisers, to come to my rescue!! Lol.
You all have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Couldnt agree with you more.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Splendour of the Seas Oct 2005 W.Med
Oceana Aug 2007 Norwegian Fjords
Splendour of the Seas E Med Oct 2008
Jewel of the Seas N. Europe Aug 2009
Carnival Paradise Caribbean April 2014
Arcadia Northen Europe June 2015