Verizon Wireless/cell phone use

floralscent

I am a Verizon Wireless customer, live in the US and will be cruising to Alaska soon. I am wondering if I will be able to receive cell phone reception in Alaska on my iphone or be able to use my data plan at all to check email, etc. I don't plan on being a huge user while traveling but thought it might be nice if I felt the need.

If Verizon has service in Alaska, does anyone know if use is covered under my normal data plan and cell service?

Thanks!

I am a Verizon user also. I have used my cell phone in Alaska many times with my normal plan. You will get good service in towns like Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Seward, Anchorage, and Fairbanks. You will not get service outside of these towns. If you sail out of Vancouver be sure to turn off you phone, or you will get major data charges. Also if you enter Canada out of Skagway you will also receive large charges. Hope this helps.

Yes, I was sitting in Skagway eating an ice cream cone when my mother called from Atlanta area and just wanted to know if I was having fun as she hadn't heard from me in a few days! I was so surprised, but the call was as clear as it could be! I had called from Anchorage and Denali and it was clear then. Got no extra charges, but as said, do turn your phone off in Canada and on the ship as there are high extra fees.

Have fun!

Right now Verizon serves Alaska through agreements with a local cell company. They are installing their own equipment and should have it switched on in the next few months. But either way, your Verizon phone will work fine in all the ports and major towns in Alaska.

I am a Verizon user also. I have used my cell phone in Alaska many times with my normal plan. You will get good service in towns like Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Seward, Anchorage, and Fairbanks. You will not get service outside of these towns. If you sail out of Vancouver be sure to turn off you phone, or you will get major data charges. Also if you enter Canada out of Skagway you will also receive large charges. Hope this helps.

Do we actually have to turn the phone off...? Or can we just put it on Airplane mode...?

Thanks for the info...! :)

I have Verizon, but through Straight Talk. I've been told that I can not use my phone in Alaska because it's a pre-paid plan. Has something to do with they can't roam. Is this right?

I have Verizon with a pre-paid plan. There are roaming charges, but they are minimal.

I have Verizon with a pre-paid plan. There are roaming charges, but they are minimal.

Does it work in Alaska? I've been told that Verizon pre-paid won't roam. So, I've been wondering what I'm going to do when I go to Alaska.

Does it work in Alaska? I've been told that Verizon pre-paid won't roam. So, I've been wondering what I'm going to do when I go to Alaska.

It's worked for me the last two years.

Be sure to update your phone before you leave. *228

It's worked for me the last two years.

Be sure to update your phone before you leave. *228

That would be great!. I thought I might have to get a temporary phone from AT&T for Alaska. This may sound stupid, but how do you update your phone? I have only had this phone for two months,

That would be great!. I thought I might have to get a temporary phone from AT&T for Alaska. This may sound stupid, but how do you update your phone? I have only had this phone for two months,

When you phone is on, press *228 and wait, it will automatically update.

I have Verizon, but through Straight Talk. I've been told that I can not use my phone in Alaska because it's a pre-paid plan. Has something to do with they can't roam. Is this right?

Some of the prepaid plans that are sold by OTHER companies other than Verizon will not work in Alaska. Those companies contract with companies like Verizon and their contracts are LIMITED to what the agreement is between companies.

Straight Talk doesn't work in parts of the lower 48 even. From MM 89 in Arizona to the California border, Verizon shares service and towers with AT & T. And Straight Talk has NO agreement to use that service when the calls are bouncing off the AT & T towers. So essentially, in the middle of the Arizona desert where exits are 20 miles or more apart and there are few services, you are left without cell service unless the call just happens to hit a VERIZON tower. I think it is a dangerous situation (and I live in the area). I thought I would save some money with Straight Talk. Doesn't work out here, so back to Verizon I went. Had a heck of a time getting my money back from Walmart because they kept insisting I was in Tonopah which does have Straight Talk service. My address is a Tonopah zip (MM94) but I am 38 miles WEST of Tonopah. It was a major hassle.

Verizon pre paid DIRECT from Verizon is ALL Verizon and you are entitled to all the benefits of Verizon whether prepaid or monthly bill. And Verizon service works VERY well in most of Alaska.

Edited by greatam

Some of the prepaid plans that are sold by OTHER companies other than Verizon will not work in Alaska. Those companies contract with companies like Verizon and their contracts are LIMITED to what the agreement is between companies.

Straight Talk doesn't work in parts of the lower 48 even. From MM 89 in Arizona to the California border, Verizon shares service and towers with AT & T. And Straight Talk has NO agreement to use that service when the calls are bouncing off the AT & T towers. So essentially, in the middle of the Arizona desert where exits are 20 miles or more apart and there are few services, you are left without cell service unless the call just happens to hit a VERIZON tower. I think it is a dangerous situation (and I live in the area). I thought I would save some money with Straight Talk. Doesn't work out here, so back to Verizon I went. Had a heck of a time getting my money back from Walmart because they kept insisting I was in Tonopah which does have Straight Talk service. My address is a Tonopah zip (MM94) but I am 38 miles WEST of Tonopah. It was a major hassle.

Verizon pre paid DIRECT from Verizon is ALL Verizon and you are entitled to all the benefits of Verizon whether prepaid or monthly bill. And Verizon service works VERY well in most of Alaska.

I'm really getting confused with this information. So, your saying I can not use my Straight Talk Verizon phone in Alaska. Not even if I dial 228. I don't want to wait until I visit Alaska then find out I can't use my phone. Can I use AT&T through Straight Talk? maybe I can get a temporary phone.

I'm really getting confused with this information. So, your saying I can not use my Straight Talk Verizon phone in Alaska. Not even if I dial 228. I don't want to wait until I visit Alaska then find out I can't use my phone. Can I use AT&T through Straight Talk? maybe I can get a temporary phone.

Verizon for a lot of years has actually been "roaming" onto Alaska local company networks even though it never showed up as roaming (due to underlying agreements between companies). They are just now putting in their own VERIZON ONLY equipment.

So if Straight Talk via Verizon is still running through other companies networks, you may not be able to use your phone because Straight Talk DOES NOT have an agreement with the local companies. They have an agreement with VERIZON which may not include those local companies.

Confusing, yes. Best I can explain it. You may or may NOT have service with your Straight Talk phone. I would just walk into a Verizon store, buy the CHEAPEST phone you can find (or get a REAL VERIZON phone from Ebay-I have a couple I would give you), pay for one month of prepaid service and be done with it if you want to GUARANTEE service when you arrive in Alaska. Otherwise, go to a Fred Myers or Walmart when you get to Alaska and get a local phone.

Verizon for a lot of years has actually been "roaming" onto Alaska local company networks even though it never showed up as roaming (due to underlying agreements between companies). They are just now putting in their own VERIZON ONLY equip

Confusing, yes. Best I can explain it. You may or may NOT have service with your Straight Talk phone. I would just walk into a Verizon store, buy the CHEAPEST phone you can find (or get a REAL VERIZON phone from Ebay-I have a couple I would give you), pay for one month of prepaid service and be done with it if you want to GUARANTEE service when you arrive in Alaska. Otherwise, go to a Fred Myers or Walmart when you get to Alaska and get a local phone.

Sounds like I better make other arrangements. I don't want to be without a phone while I'm there. I will be there in June, so I doubt Verizon will have their equipment in by then. Thanks for the replies!

• 2 months later...

People often rave about TracFone in Alaska. Just another suggestion. It uses multiple carriers for their coverage.

I have traveled extensively on ships and on the ground. Just got back from Cancun too.

I have found on my Iphone, turn the phone to airplane mode (which turns off the data and roaming, downloads, etc.). When you come to an area which has a wi-fi signal (and I am not talking about the ship's which gouges you), go to wi-fi and choose the network that is offering free wi-fi. Bingo, you will have internet connection and be able to use your internet, can facetime, skype, hangouts video calls and it will be free.

Usually when a ship comes into port, you will be able to access the port's free wi-fi from the ship deck, as the ship as a courtesy usually turns off their satellite control (but I have found Holland likes to hold onto their internet system that charges you all the time). In that case, I trek down to closer to port area and pick up a free signal from a coffee shop, port, etc.

I have learned to use Skype and Face Time to call people and that is very inexpensive and useful (not to mention you get to see that person on your screen).

I usually do not limit myself for texting to be closer too. It can get pricey, 50 cents out and 5 cents in (Verizon), but is a small price to pay for peace of mind I believe. Do not send pics as that will be more expensive, and make sure your message is under 130 characters. By the way, if you use Apple's IM, it is free (through wi-fi connection).

Hope this helps.

For outgoing calls from anywhere. I spent hours on the phone with verizon techs. Not in Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan. I'm sitting in Skagway as I type this.

Did you ever find out why you had no service? We are leaving in 3 weeks and my husband and I have the 5S. I will be very upset if we have no service as we need to stay in touch with the rest of our family.

The amount of bad information about cell phones continues to amaze me.

1 - If you are not sure of your carriers or plan coverage, check their website. The major carriers with regular plans are just fine. Alaska is still part of the U.S. Some of the prepaid... check their website.

2 - Data Roaming - you can turn off DataRoaming right now on your phone. You never need that in the states, so turn it off. That will eliminate any high charges or surprises.

3 - Canada is intl. You may or may not (probably not) have coverage there. So, phone calls and texts while in Canada or at sea will incure extra charges, on a per call or per text basis.

4 - Airplane mode means your phone is no longer a phone. No calls. No texts. Your choice.

The amount of bad information about cell phones continues to amaze me.

1 - If you are not sure of your carriers or plan coverage, check their website. The major carriers with regular plans are just fine. Alaska is still part of the U.S. Some of the prepaid... check their website.

2 - Data Roaming - you can turn off DataRoaming right now on your phone. You never need that in the states, so turn it off. That will eliminate any high charges or surprises.

3 - Canada is intl. You may or may not (probably not) have coverage there. So, phone calls and texts while in Canada or at sea will incure extra charges, on a per call or per text basis.

4 - Airplane mode means your phone is no longer a phone. No calls. No texts. Your choice.

Well stated. Especially, the first point. Your carrier is THE information you need. With that information, you can decide if the forum info here applies, or not.