Looking for specific itinerary

shadows mum

Not being very good at Geography I have not found for certain a European river cruise itinerary which will stop at or near to one of the WWII concentration camps

I feel I should visit one if I get the chance but need assistance for this journey

Thank You

Hi -

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!!

We have not visited a concentration camp (yet) but there is lots of WWII history along the Danube.

When we did Budapest to Prague there was an option of visiting a camp when we were in Prague. Unfortunately, the excursion was cancelled due to lack of interest so we were out of luck. Thinking about booking a private guide when we go back next year.

You will most likely have to extend on one end or the other and book a private guide - unless you find an itinerary that offers this as an optional in Prague. Prague is not on the Danube - but a number of companies offer Budapest to Prague - going overland from either Nuremberg or Passau. If you are interested in WWII history, Nuremberg is well worth a visit.

If there are other options that I am not aware of, hopefully someone will chime in here and help out.

Fran

Edited by franski

Avalon has a Jewish History specific cruise:

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/Product.aspx?trip=5WBN&content=price

The Blue Danube Discovery 2015: 13 days from Budapest to Prague

"Departure July 29, 2015 is offered as an exclusive Jewish Heritage Cruise, including special lectures and features at no additional cost. Explore sites important to Jewish history, like the world’s second-largest synagogue in Budapest, the WWII Terezin ghetto, Prague’s Jewish Museum & Cemetery, Regensburg’s Document Museum and synagogue ruins beneath Neupfarrplatz, and more. (NOTE: Kosher foods not available.)"

hope this helps. I think most of the cruise companies offer something similar.

guest lecturer who survived concentration camp will be aboard.

Edited by cbb

Avalon has a Jewish History specific cruise:

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/Product.aspx?trip=5WBN&content=price

The Blue Danube Discovery 2015: 13 days from Budapest to Prague

"Departure July 29, 2015 is offered as an exclusive Jewish Heritage Cruise, including special lectures and features at no additional cost. Explore sites important to Jewish history, like the world’s second-largest synagogue in Budapest, the WWII Terezin ghetto, Prague’s Jewish Museum & Cemetery, Regensburg’s Document Museum and synagogue ruins beneath Neupfarrplatz, and more. (NOTE: Kosher foods not available.)"

hope this helps. I think most of the cruise companies offer something similar.

guest lecturer who survived concentration camp will be aboard.

That is interesting to know Thank you I have time to consider this as it is not until next year Thanks again

I have time to consider this as it is not until next year

It seems like this would be your first river cruise, so a word of warning - river cruises are much more limited in capacity than ocean cruises and DO sell out a year (or more) in advance. Not always, but you might not get the itinerary you want or the cabin you want on that itinerary, so start checking for availability when you identify itineraries of interest.

(we booked our first river cruise - December 2014 Christmas Market - in August 2013:p And they only had ~5 cabins left in the category we wanted, but fortunately our parents were able to book cabins in the same category - glad we didn't wait any longer)

A lot of the concentration camps were in Poland. For example, Auschwitz is in South central Poland.

http://history1900s.about.com/od/holocaust/ss/Camps-Map.htm

Buchenwald is in central Germany, not close to the Rhine, probably the closed river is the Elbe.

Bergen-Belsen is near Hanover in Northern Germany.

Dachau is located just North of Munich, Germany. It is not hard to get there from Munich.

We have been to Auschwitz, which was the number one death camp. Some of the exhibits will send shivers up your spine.

Dachau was not a death camp in that prisoners were not sent there for extermination. It is smaller than the other camps.