Tips and Advice for "mature" honeymooners on Explorer....

First time cruise for who will be then my DH and second time for me (took DD17 on the Oasis in May which got me hooked on cruising - I love the "unpack once"). We are doing the 9 night southern Caribbean on Nov 15th. Any recommendations (especially romantic ;) would be much appreciated. "To be" DH is nervous about sea sickness - we are in cabin 6344 which I was told should be pretty stable? Any must do's on board? Do you know if RCL does anything special for honeymooners?

Make sure you bring Bonine, or some other meds, just in case!

Other than that...do what you want, when you want! It's your honeymoon! And, I'd get a guidebook on your ports, so you'll know ALL there is to do in each place. Many things can easily be done on your own, without group excursions!

"To be" DH is nervous about sea sickness - we are in cabin 6344 which I was told should be pretty stable? Any must do's on board? Do you know if RCL does anything special for honeymooners?

Bring Ginger Candy from Trader Joes my DW uses it every time (i am the lucky one that never gets sea sick)

When you booked your cruise, did you tell them that you are celebrating your honeymoon. This question is asked when you book or when you do your on line check in. If you used a travel agent check to make sure they did note this on your reservation. Best wishes on your upcomming wedding. Enjoy your cruise.

Other than that...do what you want, when you want! It's your honeymoon! And, I'd get a guidebook on your ports, so you'll know ALL there is to do in each place. Many things can easily be done on your own, without group excursions!

We've been in Aruba before on a two week visit so been there done that, nothing we really want to do again so I think we'll hit the north beaches and do some great snorkeling. We're diving in Bonaire (reason we chose this itinerary) and are joining our roll call on a tour in Curacoa - can't wait! You are right though, I'm a huge planner so investigate everything - don't want to miss anything!

When you booked your cruise, did you tell them that you are celebrating your honeymoon. This question is asked when you book or when you do your on line check in. If you used a travel agent check to make sure they did note this on your reservation. Best wishes on your upcomming wedding. Enjoy your cruise.

I booked directly through the website and did note that - was just wondering if RCL actually did anything or if it was just a box to check with no action. Thanks for the kind words.

Bring Ginger Candy from Trader Joes my DW uses it every time (i am the lucky one that never gets sea sick)

I'm from Canada and we don't have Trader Joes but will be in Florida a few days early so this works without the need for any medication? That would be great.

Absolutely! I was also hoping that there would be a mystery dinner as it's a nine night cruise but nothing is showing up :( Would it be overkill to do Portofino's twice?

Of course not! There is plenty on the menu at Portofino's so that you can have a totally different experience each time!

I think it would best if your husband started Bonine about 1 hour before the cruise starts. I would truly hate for him to be sick on his honeymoon. For me, Bonine has no side effects, so it works great and I'm fine for the whole cruise - the only exception was some incredibly rough seas we encountered in the Bay of Biscaye on a Med cruise - I had to use a Trans Derm Scop there and get to middle of the ship for most of the day. I recall trying to get dressed and getting pitched head first into the closet! It was a pretty miserable day at sea with the outside decks all closed, struggling to keep my iced tea on the table, which thankfully only lasted that one day. I recall the comedian that night struggling to do his act as he couldn't stand still due to all the pitching and rolling. He said this might be the first time he'd worn out a pair of shoes doing his act. LOL! At any rate, you shouldn't encounter anything like that in the Caribbean. Still, if your husband takes the Bonine, that should prevent any problem from occurring.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Of course not! There is plenty on the menu at Portofino's so that you can have a totally different experience each time!

I think it would best if your husband started Bonine about 1 hour before the cruise starts. I would truly hate for him to be sick on his honeymoon. For me, Bonine has no side effects, so it works great and I'm fine for the whole cruise - the only exception was some incredibly rough seas we encountered in the Bay of Biscaye on a Med cruise - I had to use a Trans Derm Scop there and get to middle of the ship for most of the day. I recall trying to get dressed and getting pitched head first into the closet! It was a pretty miserable day at sea with the outside decks all closed, struggling to keep my iced tea on the table, which thankfully only lasted that one day. I recall the comedian that night struggling to do his act as he couldn't stand still due to all the pitching and rolling. He said this might be the first time he'd worn out a pair of shoes doing his act. LOL! At any rate, you shouldn't encounter anything like that in the Caribbean. Still, if your husband takes the Bonine, that should prevent any problem from occurring.

Hopefully none of that ship pitching on this cruise! Problem with Bonine is it says to avoid alchohol and we both like a cocktail or ten:D and I sure don't want him falling asleep at the table. Did you imbibe when on Bonine?

Absolutely! I was also hoping that there would be a mystery dinner as it's a nine night cruise but nothing is showing up :( Would it be overkill to do Portofino's twice?

Absolutely not - we ate in Portofino's 5X one cruise and had something different each time - never get tired of the place! So sorry to know it is being fazed out on Explorer with the refurb.

Hopefully none of that ship pitching on this cruise! Problem with Bonine is it says to avoid alchohol and we both like a cocktail or ten:D and I sure don't want him falling asleep at the table. Did you imbibe when on Bonine?

I had wine with dinner (2 glasses) and a martini before dinner from time to time. Bonine didn't make me sleepy. However, to be safe, your husband should probably just use Sea Bands and you can bring Bonine as your emergency backup solution in case he gets seasick.

I wouldn't expect a big pitching and rolling issue in the Caribbean. It is usually fairly smooth unless there is a hurricane. Bring the Bonine as a backup in case of emergency. As a tip, if he does get seasick - and this works anywhere for anyone - if he gets nauseated, get a plastic bag and fill it with ice and put it on the front of his neck while he lies down on the bed - this will help stop the feeling of needing to vomit almost instantly.

I had wine with dinner (2 glasses) and a martini before dinner from time to time. Bonine didn't make me sleepy. However, to be safe, your husband should probably just use Sea Bands and you can bring Bonine as your emergency backup solution in case he gets seasick.

I wouldn't expect a big pitching and rolling issue in the Caribbean. It is usually fairly smooth unless there is a hurricane. Bring the Bonine as a backup in case of emergency. As a tip, if he does get seasick - and this works anywhere for anyone - if he gets nauseated, get a plastic bag and fill it with ice and put it on the front of his neck while he lies down on the bed - this will help stop the feeling of needing to vomit almost instantly.

Thanks - I've never heard about the ice before.

Wait a minute, this is supposed to be a romantic honeymoon cruise, you're telling them to bring Bonnie along. Do you even know who Bonnie is? Brining a third person on a honeymoon is no way to enhance the romance! Unless you're one of those...um...well. Oh wait Bonnie is the name of a seasickness medicine? Never mind. [emoji6]

My Bonnie lies over the ocean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SamFritz

I'm very motion sensitive and this is what I do, starting the night before the cruise; take 1 less drowsy dramamine at bedtime and two ginger pills in the morning. The less drowsy dramamine won't keep you awake or anything, just doesn't make you as sleepy as regular dramamine. This works great for me, and I usually have a few drinks throughout the day. :)

0P – best wishes.

As for a romantic time, we love to find a spot outside (it needs to be dark) and stargaze. We also like to wake up early one morning and watch the sunrise. Something about seeing the sunrise over the ocean gives us a renewed feeling.

Enjoy

M

And don't forget to try out for the Love and Marriage game show!

LOL - I mentioned this to (almost) DH and he almost hyperventilated, which is unusual for him as his job requires him to be "out there" but I think he's a bit paranoid about getting an answer wrong and having to live with me reminding him forever :eek: sure enjoyed watching it on the Oasis - who knows, a few drinks and maybe I'll be able to persuade :D