Norovirus Allure Feb 1, 2015 sailing

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them before: Yesterday we received automated phone calls from RCCL specifying staggered embarkation arrival times for our sailing this Sunday, Feb. 1. Today around noon we received an additional auto call advising that gastrointestinal illness will require deep cleaning on the ship, again stressing strict arrival time scheduling according to cabin deck level and loyalty status. I may or may not be correct in assuming that norovirus has hit Allure of the Seas. We tend to avoid buffets at any rate and are thorough hand washers, but I would really appreciate advice from anyone who has experience with being on a ship AFTER the deep cleaning.

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them before: Yesterday we received automated phone calls from RCCL specifying staggered embarkation arrival times for our sailing this Sunday, Feb. 1. Today around noon we received an additional auto call advising that gastrointestinal illness will require deep cleaning on the ship, again stressing strict arrival time scheduling according to cabin deck level and loyalty status. I may or may not be correct in assuming that norovirus has hit Allure of the Seas. We tend to avoid buffets at any rate and are thorough hand washers, but I would really appreciate advice from anyone who has experience with being on a ship AFTER the deep cleaning.

No worries. Best time to cruise is after a deep cleaning. Pump up your immune system, washy-washy, and have a good time.

Enjoy your cruise! Ship will be spic and span for your cruise.

We had delayed boarding on the Brilliance in Harwich last May after a deep cleaning due to Norovirus.

Except for no fruit in our drinks and food being served in Windjammer, it had no impact. It lasted for 2 days and no one was ill so it was lifted and things went back to normal.

Diane

We've sailed right after a deep cleaning and like the posters above stated all was good. We have Allure coming up in a few weeks so hopefully with this deep cleaning and everyone washing their hands things will stay in control.

Enjoy your cruise and please post upon your return to let us waiting impatiently at home know how things went.

We too are on the feb 1st sailing on Sunday and received this email today as well. Is everyone planning on sticking to the outlined boarding times?

Freedom 2014

You won't get on any sooner. They won't board until the entire ship is scrubbed down.

Was on the Independence last week and watched a guy come out of the stall after going #2 and walk right out of the bathroom without washing his hands and proceed to the dining room for dinner. And people wonder why noro virus is a problem! :eek:

How long did you maintain surveillance of the suspect?:D

We too are on the feb 1st sailing on Sunday and received this email today as well. Is everyone planning on sticking to the outlined boarding times?

Freedom 2014

I would rather be doing ANYTHING besides waiting around the terminal for a couple hours to board. We are listed for a 2:30 boarding. We will probably get to the terminal around 2:00.

No worries. Best time to cruise is after a deep cleaning. Pump up your immune system, washy-washy, and have a good time.

I'm guessing you weren't on the Crown Princess in 2012 for the Super Bowl cruise.

There was a deep cleaning before we boarded and our cruise was so bad with noro that our cruise was canceled after 5 days without us ever making a port of call.

It certainly wasn't the best time to cruise for us.:(

Bill

I'm guessing you weren't on the Crown Princess in 2012 for the Super Bowl cruise.

There was a deep cleaning before we boarded and our cruise was so bad with noro that our cruise was canceled after 5 days without us ever making a port of call.

It certainly wasn't the best time to cruise for us.:(

Bill

It does seem to be the case that it hits back to back cruises almost as often as it doesn't. I'd bet it's not from the ship not being clean, but from the crew working while sick.

Was on the Independence last week and watched a guy come out of the stall after going #2 and walk right out of the bathroom without washing his hands and proceed to the dining room for dinner. And people wonder why noro virus is a problem! :eek:

And did you say anything?

This man was putting your health at risk.

I'd have said something, discreetly!

Thank you all.

We are booked also for February 1. These computer generated message were quite alarming. but now at least we know why.

We have been in Pompano Beach since Wednesday. I will buy extra sanitizer.

Hope all goes well.

Bob and Julie

We're on the Allure on Feb 8th so I hope it is clean by then. However we got the same automated message from RCCL for our boarding of the Majesty OTS on Feb 2nd. I wonder if the virus has hit the Majesty also????

We're on the Allure on Feb 8th so I hope it is clean by then. However we got the same automated message from RCCL for our boarding of the Majesty OTS on Feb 2nd. I wonder if the virus has hit the Majesty also????

Maybe it's a new ploy to spread out the people arriving since not many, at least on Cruise Critic paid attention to with the other notices they were sending.

Bill

It very well could just be a new SOP they've adopted going forward, that maybe RCCL is planning to do a deep clean of every ship before it lets the new passengers on?

Seems like quite the coincidence they'd be doing the same thing at the same time for 2 separate ships.

We had this happen 4 years ago out of Tampa. They were very organized. Took your luggage and let you go explore for the day. We had an early flight in so this was helpful. They gave us a card with the boarding time for your group. We were Diamond at the time so it was near the beginning. The ship so so clean. They did not hand out menus at dinning time the waiter held one up. No salt and pepper/ sugar on tables. In the Windjammer everything was served by staff. A little slow but it did show they took it seriously. Lots of sanitizer