Gym rules

richleeds

Should a ships gym be limited to regular gym goers?

It gets right on my hits when passengers use it as an onboard tourist attraction.

Some come up in completely inappropriate attire and footwear. Crocs on the treadmill - really?

Some use potentially dangerous equipment without knowing what they are doing.

Currently on a ship and although there is a picture and bio of the Gym Manager I've yet to see him in any hands on role so passengers are left to their own devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It gets right on my hits when passengers use it as an onboard tourist attraction.

Some come up in completely inappropriate attire and footwear. Crocs on the treadmill - really?

Some use potentially dangerous equipment without knowing what they are doing.

Currently on a ship and although there is a picture and bio of the Gym Manager I've yet to see him in any hands on role so passengers are left to their own devices.

We were on RCI Sereande of the Seas in May (our first cruise) and, as a regularly gym user, it was obvious how many people had no idea what they were doing! As you say, it was a tourist attraction. I wonder what would have happened if they had an accident whilst using some of the equipment. No two gyms are the same and I must admit it took me a few minutes to figure out how to use some of the machines. Crazy people.

We use the gym here in the early afternoon as there are very few people there at that time and I hate having to wait to use equipment. Hence we do not use the gym on board ship as it just gets too crowded. To compensate we speed walk on the jogging track/ prom deck. After all we are on holiday!!:D

Hmmmm, interesting. And which P&O ship is currently being blessed with your presence?

None. We have just got off NCL. But it reminded me that P&O is the worst culprit for this... People just coming in for a gawp, especially watching us in the free the weights section doing deadlifts etc.

We were on RCI Sereande of the Seas in May (our first cruise) and, as a regularly gym user, it was obvious how many people had no idea what they were doing! As you say, it was a tourist attraction. I wonder what would have happened if they had an accident whilst using some of the equipment. No two gyms are the same and I must admit it took me a few minutes to figure out how to use some of the machines. Crazy people.

That's it. It would be so easy to involve yourself or those around you in an accident if you don't know what you are doing.

I know there are disclaimer signs throughout the gym but the line should endeavour to give everyone a quick 10 min intro if they need it - not ideal but better than nothing.

I think the facility should be available to all; of the age range, provided that they are there for a bonafide reason.

The problem as I see it is that a clear explanation needs to be given to potential users, who might not have previously used a commercial gym, about; suitable footwear in particular and some sort of dress guidelines. The towels, wipes, alcohol hand sanitiser and hydrating systems they have adopted.

My problem is that I need to supervise my daughter who is just below the marginal age of attending on her own. Typically she wants to attend after the our evening meal so I go as is, specifically to supervise. At the time we attend a load of atypical cruisers appear, great big muscle men types and very fit younger women who you never see on deck. It has taken ages for me to find out this is the P&O crew and dancers.

Regards John

I think the facility should be available to all; of the age range, provided that they are there for a bonafide reason.

The problem as I see it is that a clear explanation needs to be given to potential users, who might not have previously used a commercial gym, about; suitable footwear in particular and some sort of dress guidelines. The towels, wipes, alcohol hand sanitiser and hydrating systems they have adopted.

My problem is that I need to supervise my daughter who is just below the marginal age of attending on her own. Typically she wants to attend after the our evening meal so I go as is, specifically to supervise. At the time we attend a load of atypical cruisers appear, great big muscle men types and very fit younger women who you never see on deck. It has taken ages for me to find out this is the P&O crew and dancers.

Regards John

Your daughter doesn't by want to be working out after a main meal.

The male dancers tend to go for tone and stamina, very few bulk up.

Some of the senior officers use the gym of an evening.

I like to get my exercise outside in the fresh air, not in a gym smelling of sweat- YUK. good power walk round the deck and walking ashore, plus not using the lifts. I come home about 2 pounds lighter, as I'm not sitting in an office all day :-)

I like to get my exercise outside in the fresh air, not in a gym smelling of sweat- YUK. good power walk round the deck and walking ashore, plus not using the lifts. I come home about 2 pounds lighter, as I'm not sitting in an office all day :-)

Healthy sweat is healthy!

The male dancers tend to go for tone and stamina, very few bulk up.

Some of the senior officers use the gym of an evening.

Not interested in the male dancers as most are not interested in me.

But the senior officers using the Gym ?

I have never looked there for some fun, but will be next time.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is a Gym Fanatic

Not interested in the male dancers as most are not interested in me.

But the senior officers using the Gym ?

I have never looked there for some fun, but will be next time.

Yes. The ones who get public dining privileges usually get the gym as well. Chatted to them a few times they are only allowed in at quiet times which tends to be late evening.

Usually see the visiting cabaret turns in there on their night off.

Yes. The ones who get public dining privileges usually get the gym as well. Chatted to them a few times they are only allowed in at quiet times which tends to be late evening.

Usually see the visiting cabaret turns in there on their night off.

You never know.... Neil Diamond might think you're a Cracklin' Rosie or Tom Jones might tell you to Help Yourself, but if you see Gary Glitter maybe best to leave via the nearest exit.

......good power walk round the deck ..............

Yes, i have met people like this before on cruises.

Most are nice, friendly and are well mannered.

Some however, are like Bubbles deVere from Little Britian.

Not a nice thing to meet in the morning at 6am whilst I am going to bed.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn loves walking around decks. Round and Round..... Hic !!

Yes, i have met people like this before on cruises.

Most are nice, friendly and are well mannered.

Some however, are like Bubbles deVere from Little Britian.

Not a nice thing to meet in the morning at 6am whilst I am going to bed.

Not nice when a Bubbles deVere joins you in the hot tub either. I make a hasty exit.

As you can see from my post I am not currently on board. I simply meant the local gym in my home town, which I refered to as "here". :p

My comment was a query for the person who first started this thread as the impression I got was that he had just got off a P&O ship as the comment was posted on a P&O forum. Friends who travel with NCL (a ship he'd just travelled on) say that they have not seen this comment on that forum, just makes you wonder why.:confused::confused::(

My comment was a query for the person who first started this thread as the impression I got was that he had just got off a P&O ship as the comment was posted on a P&O forum. Friends who travel with NCL (a ship he'd just travelled on) say that they have not seen this comment on that forum, just makes you wonder why.:confused::confused::(

Kathsmum - I think post number 6 on this thread makes it obvious why - yet another pop at P&O.

"Onboard tourist attraction"....... Cruising around the world and you think the people find the gym a tourist attraction. More likely they are lost and end up there. I speak from experience...

Your right tho I suppose using those machines does need care.

Not having a pop at gym people or anybody else just found the quote amusing.

Cruise with Fred Olsen and am amazed at the space they free up for a gym. As you walk around the deck you can see into the gym and on Fred it's usually deserted.

Happy cruising and sit ups whatever takes your fancy.....😄