Florence and the Chianti region

Madu00

Our ship will be in port (Livorno) for 12 hours. Looking to do a private tour for 4 that will include going to Accademia to see "David", explore a little in Florence and also go out to the Chianti region of Tuscany and do some wine tasting as well as have lunch at a villa overlooking the countryside. Is this doable in just one day? Or am I trying to squeeze in too much since I don't want to spend too many hours riding in a car.

Any recommendations on tour would also be appreciated. First time doing a Mediterranean cruise......have never been to Europe before. Trying to plan all these ports is so overwhelming!

Getting lots of great advice on this board however.....thank you all.

You should get active on the Ports of Call Italy board where this kind of subject is routinely discussed. What you suggest can be done but one might question whether its the best use of time. Florence is an amazing city and the Academia is only one small facet. It is difficult to imagine going to Florence (more then an hour from the port) to just see David (although it is a fantastic work of art).

As to the answer to your question about squeezing too much in a port day.....welcome to the wonderful world of European cruising. Only you can decide whether your prefer spending more time in fewer places (to stop and smell the roses) or simply want to see it all in a day :). We have spent many months in Tuscany and have yet to truly dent the region so we always marvel at cruisers who tell us things like, "we spent one day in Tuscany and have seen the region so there is no reason to return." Perhaps your cruise will result in a future multi-week land trip.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

First, the best place for your research would be the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to Italy, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Looking over there would find lots of info on Italy and recommendations for tour venders. For example, the wonderful Rome in Limo, which despite it's name, has a great operation in Florence. Contact them, and see what they offer. We toured with them last June in Florence/Siena/Chianti, and had a great time.

Personally, I would consider to visit Florence and not visit the Uffizi Gallery would be a great omission.

One should book tickets in advance as the queue to buy at the door can be very long----last time we were there the wait time was 1.5 to 2 hours.

Then of course there is the Duomo, and depending on fitness level, and the weather, the climb up to the viewing platform will provide excellent views of the city.

With only 12 hours, I would concentrate on the city.

If the weather is fine, a visit to the Boboli Gardens is very pleasant.

When we were last in Florence we stayed outside of the city at The Hotel Villa Cora

http://www.villacora.it/en/index.php

It might be worth you enquiring about having lunch there.

Edited by English Voyager

OP has an impossibly ambitious outline. Just getting to and from Florence from the port will eat up three of the twelve hours. Unless you get priority (walk up and get right in) admission as part of your tour you can expect to spend a lot over an hour at each waiting to get into the Uffizi and the Academia. OP should plan a high end tour with guaranteed priority admission, or else trim expectations.

A low stress alternative would be taking the train to Lucca - easy and inexpensive from Livorno. Lucca is a beautiful, intact medieval walled city small enough to do justice in a day, and with the right connection you could take an hour or so break in Pisa.

Now you are pushing the limits :). We like Lucca, San Gimignano, Volterra, Cole val d'Elsa, the S222 wine road between Florence and Siena, etc. But for a first visit to this region we think that Florence is a must! On subsequent trips, or if spending a few weeks in the region then the other options make lots of sense.

Hank

Now you are pushing the limits :). We like Lucca, San Gimignano, Volterra, Cole val d'Elsa, the S222 wine road between Florence and Siena, etc. But for a first visit to this region we think that Florence is a must! On subsequent trips, or if spending a few weeks in the region then the other options make lots of sense.

Hank

I agree: Florence is the pearl - but getting there from Livorno and dealing with the crowds are likely to seriously limit the experience - meaning that perhaps it is better to save it for a land visit which can do it justice. I mention Lucca because it can be done justice on a port call to Livorno. Of course, if someone will never again be within range of Florence then I would agree: see whatever of it you can.

I would not recommend you try to do everything on your wish list. It's too much for one day. And even a little jaunt to Sienna, San Gimignano and any wonderful vineyard like the Verazzano is almost too much to do in a port day. If you have an affinity for a glorious lunch with wine pairings you definitely won't have time! Weigh your options.....David or a memorable meal....hmmmm.