NY as a port day - what is the procedure for disembarking and embarking?

Magician's wife

Hi everyone,

My DH and I are sailing on the QM2 in August from Southampton to Halifax, then New York and back to Southampton, so for us New York will be a port day. I have been reading up and know that we will have to clear customs in New York which may take a while, but can anyone help with some of the rest of the procedure for the day?

It is my DH's 50th birthday and we were hoping to spend as long as possible ashore. When can we expect to disembark? Some posts seem to say we would have to wait until everyone has got off who is disembarking, is this true? Or would we be able to leave early with the people who are using self disembarkation? Do we have to be processed and re-board at this point or can we do it later?

QM2 will be docked at Brooklyn. It looks like there should be taxis here to get to Manhattan, is this the best way?

We are always cautious about getting back on board in plenty of time and I am aware that traffic can get really busy. We would aim for an hour before all aboard time, but does anyone know whether we would have to be onboard for the safety demonstration as we would have been to the one the week before?

This is my first time in New York and the first time we have cruised with Cunard. We are very much looking forward to it. :)

Kind regards,

Nina

Cunard do (they used to anyway, I'm pretty they still do) a bus that takes you into Manhattan for $40 each. You book it whilst on board, it does not show up as an excursion on-line.

When we went to NY for the day we took this option and were walking up 6th Avenue at 8:30 looking for breakfast. I think they collect you at about 15:00 from next to Macy's. It's a bit expensive but at least you know you are going to get back okay (which is why the charge so much of course).

Do consider using the ships tour bus into Manhattan, you are then covered should you meet an unexpected delay for your return back to the ship.

Please be aware, if you do take a taxi cab from the ship into Manhattan you might have a problem getting a taxi to bring you back to Brooklyn.

From my experience you may have a problem trying to flag down a yellow cab as most of those taxi driver are still unsure where the QM2 is docked. The best option is to ask a hotel to arranged a cab for you .The QM2 is usually docked at Red Hook cruise terminal Brooklyn.

You may find it useful to have a 'print off' handy of the directions to Red Hook, it's always useful should encounter language difficulties with the cab driver. :)

We did this same 15 day trip last year. The choices for New York at the time were:

New York Highlights, 7.45am-11.45am. Activity level: low. $72

Manhattan Transfer 7.30am-4pm (pick up 3pm). $50

We decided on New York Highlights and glad we did because it started raining.

We had three stops - the first at the 9/11 memorial fountains which was around 20 minutes. The second at the Rockefeller Centre for around 35 minutes and the last at St Paul's Chapel for around 10 minutes.

In Halifax, we took the tour to Peggy's Cove in the morning and strolled round Halifax in the afternoon. We had lovely weather there all day.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046622

Thanks Bell Boy. From my research I was feeling that a Cunard excursion would be best too as we really don't want to worry about being left behind. There seemed to be concerns about getting a taxi to take us back and the possibility of traffic so I think you are right and a ship's tour would be best.

Thank-you for the added details Ray66. The New York Highlights excursion is wait listed at the moment. I think we will hope to book the Manhattan transfer once we are onboard as this would suit us better, giving us time to choose what to do and the guarantee of transport back to the ship.

We have already booked a tour in Halifax to Peggy's Cove which we are looking forward too (and lobster for DH) and then will do the same and wander around Halifax in the afternoon. Hopefully we will get good weather too.

Thankyou :)

Thanks Bell Boy. From my research I was feeling that a Cunard excursion would be best too as we really don't want to worry about being left behind. There seemed to be concerns about getting a taxi to take us back and the possibility of traffic so I think you are right and a ship's tour would be best.

Thank-you for the added details Ray66. The New York Highlights excursion is wait listed at the moment. I think we will hope to book the Manhattan transfer once we are onboard as this would suit us better' date=' giving us time to choose what to do and the guarantee of transport back to the ship.

We have already booked a tour in Halifax to Peggy's Cove which we are looking forward too (and lobster for DH) and then will do the same and wander around Halifax in the afternoon. Hopefully we will get good weather too.

Thankyou :)[/quote']

Just out of interest, you mention the New York Highlights tour being wait-listed - is that in the Voyage Personaliser?

It was on the Voyage Personaliser about a week ago, but I have just checked and it's no longer an option. Perhaps they reached their limit for the wait list?

It was the only option for a shore excursion you could book in advance so I guess it sold out quite quickly.

It was on the Voyage Personaliser about a week ago' date=' but I have just checked and it's no longer an option. Perhaps they reached their limit for the wait list?

It was the only option for a shore excursion you could book in advance so I guess it sold out quite quickly.[/quote']

Somewhere in the VP there is an 'Important Notice' which essentially says there will be no pre voyage shore excursions available to book for NY. These can be booked onboard depending on demand. It also says that there is a shuttle available (free if you paid the Cunard Fare), if the ship docks in Brooklyn. No shuttle if the ship docks in Manhattan as it's not needed.

Edited by MeredithFairfax

Somewhere in the VP there is an 'Important Notice' which essentially says there will be no pre voyage shore excursions available to book for NY. These can be booked onboard depending on demand. It also says that there is a shuttle available (free if you paid the Cunard Fare), if the ship docks in Brooklyn. No shuttle if the ship docks in Manhattan as it's not needed.

I don't think this is correct. I have been on a B2B (and will be again in July) and there was definitely no free shuttle service from Brooklyn. I've looked at the port guide in my VP and it does appear a little confusing. In one box it says there will be a shuttle bus if we dock in Brooklyn, but in the next box, it says there is no shuttle service and I believe the latter box is correct.

There are plenty of taxis waiting when you get off the ship and last time we were given the tip of making sure that the concierge at Macy's orders your taxi back for you, as he knows where the QM2 docks and he will be able to explain it to the taxi driver. Worked perfectly for us last time.

Thanks Meredith' date=' that is one of the reasons I was trying to find out what happens from people who had been before. I do like to be organised but I guess this time we will have to wait and see what happens once we are onboard.[/quote']

When we were informed of the available tours in our VP, I emailed Cunard about a lack of tours for New York and this is the reply I got:

I can confirm that the majority of the New York City tours are sold onboard due to it being dependant on the number of in transit guests travelling on that sector. In the important information for New York, we do advise the following

Guests not leaving or joining in New York - Due to the varying number of guests continuing their voyage and visiting New York as a port call, only one tour option, New York Highlights, will be available to pre-book. During your voyage, depending on final guest numbers and the demand, the tour office will offer one or two additional tours which can be booked directly on board. A general overview of the New York tour options are available on the Cunard website, however it is important to note that these are examples only and cannot be guaranteed to operate.

I don't think this is correct. I have been on a B2B (and will be again in July) and there was definitely no free shuttle service from Brooklyn. I've looked at the port guide in my VP and it does appear a little confusing. In one box it says there will be a shuttle bus if we dock in Brooklyn, but in the next box, it says there is no shuttle service and I believe the latter box is correct.

There are plenty of taxis waiting when you get off the ship and last time we were given the tip of making sure that the concierge at Macy's orders your taxi back for you, as he knows where the QM2 docks and he will be able to explain it to the taxi driver. Worked perfectly for us last time.

Thanks for this helpful information :)

I can confirm that the majority of the New York City tours are sold onboard due to it being dependant on the number of in transit guests travelling on that sector. In the important information for New York, we do advise the following

Thanks Ray for this confirmation, I'm happier now to leave it until we are on board and we will then probably book an excursion as you did.

But I will also bear in mind the tip from Highly Sociable that the concierge at Macy's can book a taxi :). Thank-you!

You say you will be doing Peggys Cove and lobster. We fid this a few years ago and it was a fantastic trip. The lobster was delicious. Just a warning, if I remember correctly, there is a stop off for toilets as you approach Peggys Cove. They are very nice earth closets. Not smelly or nasty, but you do get a very cold breeze on your rear end!

Hi everyone' date='

My DH and I are sailing on the QM2 in August from Southampton to Halifax, then New York and back to Southampton, so for us New York will be a port day. I have been reading up and know that we will have to clear customs in New York which may take a while, but can anyone help with some of the rest of the procedure for the day?

QM2 will be docked at Brooklyn. It looks like there should be taxis here to get to Manhattan, is this the best way?

We are always cautious about getting back on board in plenty of time and I am aware that traffic can get really busy. We would aim for an hour before all aboard time, but does anyone know whether we would have to be onboard for the safety demonstration as we would have been to the one the week before?

This is my first time in New York and the first time we have cruised with Cunard. We are very much looking forward to it. :)

Kind regards,

Nina[/quote']

Good afternoon Nina.

My wife and I have done this many times and hopefully can show you a viable option. Take a look at this review of mine, it's exactly as we did it...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/06/24/one-way-to-do-new-york-brooklyn-to-central-park-via-the-highline-walk/

Like you we were 'in transit' and after a little research took the subway from Brooklyn...

CarrollStreetSubwayStationcopySR_zpsb78c9cff.jpg

Thankyou :)

And for my second trick' date=' I can give you an insight into Peggy's Cove.

[img']http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7315/9740175946_5cdab8d393_z.jpg[/img]

Again, just follow the link...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/09/17/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia/

In matter of fact Peggy's Cove was an 'add on' as my priority when in Halifax, on QM2, was to visit the Titanic cemetery...

9740175554_98e992f8a3_z.jpg

Of course, as a true Cunarder one also always pays homage to the great man himself while in that city...

9740175802_3e8bde21bf_z.jpg

After all, We Are Cunard.