Anthem Vs NCL breakaway

Overall, I prefer the Royal Caribbean experience over the NCL experience, so that choice would be easy for me...Anthem.

However, the Breakaway Class ships seem to be popular. Since I've never been on either Anthem or Breakaway, I can't really comment on the ships themselves, but comparing my NCL Epic cruise to my other Royal cruise, I would choose Royal every time.

Both ships have flexible dining if that is of interest, but Anthem also has a more traditional option if you so choose. Both ships are filled with lots of attractions and entertainment. I found service and food to be better on Royal.

Have you been on either of the two cruise lines before?

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Thank you for the feedback - I have never been on either cruise line before...I have only ever been on Carnival (as that was at my price point) My son and I liked our experience on Carnival, even though I know it is on the low end. I can only imagine the step up in quality on either Royal or NCL. I am concerned that these Mega Ships are "too big" and all the gimics and entertainment will be extra charges.

Thank you for the feedback - I have never been on either cruise line before...I have only ever been on Carnival (as that was at my price point) My son and I liked our experience on Carnival, even though I know it is on the low end. I can only imagine the step up in quality on either Royal or NCL. I am concerned that these Mega Ships are "too big" and all the gimics and entertainment will be extra charges.

I can provide some feedback regrading extra charges on Anthem. All entertainment is free (all shows, including We Will Rock You). The North Star and iFly are both free. I can't think of any gimmicks that really cost anything - someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

No need to pay extra for food, unless you want to. Of course, excursions are extra.

oh ok, Thank you so much for that info. Is there the flow rider and rock wall climbing etc too?

Also is the vibe on the ship lively? I liked the deck party atmosphere on carnival...lots of great music, parties etc

There is a flowrider and rock climbing wall, along with a indoor sports court, that also has bumper cars. All free! :)

Can't speak for the liveliness of the ship because I haven't sailed her, but if she's anything like the rest of the Royal fleet, there will be plenty of activities/parties/music.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Having sailed on 2 RCI cruises with Anthem booked next year and many NCL cruises including Breakaway last year, I feel you can't go wrong with either.

Overall, RCI is the most organized cruise line we've been on but comparable in many other areas.

I would pick the cruise that appeals to you; either 5 day versus 7 day and the prices. We've been to Bermuda with both cruise lines and they dock at the same port.

I don't think either ship is enormous but also be prepared to do a lot of walking. Our cruise on the Breakaway was very crowded even though we went the first week in December, a low time. It would need to be a very unique cruise for us to cruise on Breakaway again. We much prefer the Jewel/Gem class ship with NCL.

We found that we preferred the restaurants with a fee with NCL while the MDR is adequate with RCI, for dinner. We paid extra for the 'Cirque type' show on Breakaway and didn't think it was worth the charge. Upfront fares are more for RCI but we need to purchase NCL extras to be comparable.

You should have a good time with your 14 yo son and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I don't think either ship is enormous but also be prepared to do a lot of walking. Our cruise on the Breakaway was very crowded even though we went the first week in December, a low time. It would need to be a very unique cruise for us to cruise on Breakaway again. We much prefer the Jewel/Gem class ship with NCL.

That's how we felt about the Epic. Won't be sailing on NCL again because of it. Didn't get to have an enjoyable swim the whole cruise.

We had neighbors that sailed on the Breakaway in June and they felt the same way.

I'm looking forward to Anthem in June. Regarding Bermuda, I haven't been there in quite some time. I used to go frequently and the ships used to dock in Hamilton on Front Street. They also used to stay there for days and then sail back to NYC.

Hamilton was great! We used to go to elbow beach http://www.elbowbeachbermuda.com/?&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Brand%20-%20Exact&utm_content=Name&utm_keyword=elbow%20beach

and pay to use the beach. It was beautiful!

I can't speak for where the ships dock today, but I'm thinking that if I don't like it, I'll take a taxi to Hamilton.

wow you have been on a lot of cruises, what a blessing. I value your feedback. How did you like Bermuda?

Thank you. As you can tell, we love to cruise and so does our family and friends. It's a great way for us to spend time together on a vacation. It's a lot of planning and coordinating but well worth it.

Bermuda is our favorite island. Pretty, clean and quaint .... Our son was 16 yo for his first time there and had a good time on the cruise as well as in Bermuda. There's a lot you can do on your own without spending a lot and not needing to pay for excursions. The bus/ferry service may seem confusing at first but it's a great way to get around with all-day or multi day passes.

Follow the destinations board for ideas or just ask here in this thread for specifics. We'll be glad to help.

I'm looking forward to Anthem in June. Regarding Bermuda, I haven't been there in quite some time. I used to go frequently and the ships used to dock in Hamilton on Front Street. They also used to stay there for days and then sail back to NYC.

Hamilton was great! We used to go to elbow beach http://www.elbowbeachbermuda.com/?&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Brand%20-%20Exact&utm_content=Name&utm_keyword=elbow%20beach

and pay to use the beach. It was beautiful!

I can't speak for where the ships dock today, but I'm thinking that if I don't like it, I'll take a taxi to Hamilton.

We too loved taking the small ships into Hamilton and St. Georges. The ships dock in the dockyards now because of the larger ships. You can take a taxi or bus to a beach, such as Horseshoe Bay. Or take a bus or ferry to Hamilton. There's a small beach within walking distance for snorkeling, swimming, or just relaxing with a drink. We also visited the Maritime Museum within walking distance and our nephew loved it. You can spend a few hours walking around the port shops or stop to have lunch and a drink. There's plenty of tours to do too, bicycle, taxi, kayak, glass bottom boat, catamaran, snorkeling... etc. all beautiful.

Hello I am looking at booking cruise in may/jun 2016 to Bermuda...any suggestions, tips on Anthem or breakaway would be appreciated.

I will be cruising with my 14 yr old son

If you can hold tight for about 5 more weeks, can give you a complete comparison including the teen experience. We've done BA twice last year- once to Bermuda and once to Bahamas and had generally great experiences. The teen ( 15 yr old boy) absolutely loved BA last year. Best time he's ever had on a cruise ( he's been on about 10). Overall, we had a great time. Food was good to very good even in MDRs. However, menus got a bit repetitive, Drinks were great. Service was very good and entertainment was also very good. Vibe of the ship was awesome- very fun and lively. The whole "lots of walking" thing seems great,y exaggerated to me. If you are able- bodied, it's really not a big deal once you get used to the layout. I am a sun worshiper/ pool person and I just couldn't get past how bad the pool set up is on BA. Ridiculously crowded, terrible set up. I didn't like the up charges for a lot of things. And I don't love the lobby area- feels very closed in. Staterooms are nice but balconys way too small. Otherwise, it was a great cruise. However, I toured BA a few weeks ago ( I am a TA) and we tried the buffet and the food was absolutely horrendous- almost inedible. It seemed a much lower quality than on our cruise last year so that concerns me.

We try Anthem for Thanksgiving week. We were originally booked on BA again but when pricing dropped on Anthem to the same deal we had on BA, we made the switch. I toured Quantum last winter and she is a gorgeous ship. It felt much more refined and elegant, much prettier than BA. I liked the entertainment and main spaces better and the pool set up seems like it'll be 100x better than BA. I like that things like iFLY and the surf simulator are free. I didn't like the teen programming as much on paper- the party themes didn't seem that "cool" to me and it closes much earlier than on BA ( may not matter ith a 14 yr old). That is entirely my perspective from just seeing a teen sheet of paper. From menus, it seems like better options and variety on Anthem than BA but we shall see.

Stay tuned!

Anyway

My first Anthem cruise is next February. I have cruise Royal Caribbean three times, including to Bermuda. Comparing the breakaway pool area to the smaller Royal ships is no contest. NCL pool area (didn't do Vibe) was not at all adequate for thousands of people escaping the three degree weather in NYC. The food (that I specifically ate) was better on NCL-- but I did the unlimited specialty dining (which included the cirque show at that time) and I found it to be awesome!! The food on Royal's MDR was decent. Overall, I prefer Royal, but I'm not really sure I can tell you why...

I've cruised both Quantum and Breakaway and I'd easily choose Anthem over Breakaway for all age groups. Better ship, better service, better food, better balcony, better onboard experiences. I won't go back on Breakaway (or it would have to be dirt cheap). Anthem has an indoor pool and enough pool spaces over all...you need an indoor pool that sails from a port that has a winter/fall. Breakaway doesn't.

We were on the Anthem this May. And I was with my 15 y/o teen, who enjoyed the activities on the ship, made several friends as well. The ship was beautiful and the amenities were fantastic. I would recommend the Anthem for a family cruise with your children everytime.

Haven't been on the Breakaway but would like to try sometime. Enjoy your cruise whichever you might choose.

There is no doubt that anthem has more variety of activities and is the most modern ship. BUT People here and royal keep missing a factor that kids and teens Love. Breakaway has water slides and for some that is a deal breaker. I'm sure you will have a great time on both. Look at all the amenities on both with your teen and see what you prefer. Enjoy

Edited by Duke Mazer

I would book Anthem over BA. Our dining experience was less than enjoyable, including the specialty restaurants. And the adult pool area is not really a pool, more like little areas to get wet and the main pool is laughably small. Also no stand up comedy on BA. The ship is beautiful, and we enjoyed a large balcony minisuite, but not enough to sail BA again.

I would book Anthem over BA. Our dining experience was less than enjoyable, including the specialty restaurants. And the adult pool area is not really a pool, more like little areas to get wet and the main pool is laughably small. Also no stand up comedy on BA. The ship is beautiful, and we enjoyed a large balcony minisuite, but not enough to sail BA again.

I totally agree with you about the pool. It was totally useless, and a large part of why I'm doing the same week this year on Anthem.

I disagree with you about the specialty restaurants. I had the unlimited last february before they changed the price and pulled cirque from it. It was a great deal and I was very pleased with the food.

Your comedy comment was incorrect-- The Second City is on the Breakaway. I saw them several times.

I personally have found with the two RCCL ships I have sailed, Breakaway had much better entertainment-- burn the floor, piano bar, comedy, and fat cats.

I totally agree with you about the pool. It was totally useless, and a large part of why I'm doing the same week this year on Anthem.

I disagree with you about the specialty restaurants. I had the unlimited last february before they changed the price and pulled cirque from it. It was a great deal and I was very pleased with the food.

Your comedy comment was incorrect-- The Second City is on the Breakaway. I saw them several times.

I personally have found with the two RCCL ships I have sailed, Breakaway had much better entertainment-- burn the floor, piano bar, comedy, and fat cats.

I dined at only 2 specialty restaurants on BA. La Cucina is terrible. Not only would I not pay to eat there, I wouldn't eat there for free. The other was Cagney's, which was fine, but I preferred the "old" Chops experience. Second City is an improv troupe, not stand up comedy, which is my preference. All RCCL ships have a piano bar, the Schooner Bar. I did enjoy Fat Cats. Everyone's experiences are personal, but I've taken 2 NCL cruises, and they are currently my least favorite line.

I dined at only 2 specialty restaurants on BA. La Cucina is terrible. Not only would I not pay to eat there, I wouldn't eat there for free. The other was Cagney's, which was fine, but I preferred the "old" Chops experience. Second City is an improv troupe, not stand up comedy, which is my preference. All RCCL ships have a piano bar, the Schooner Bar. I did enjoy Fat Cats. Everyone's experiences are personal, but I've taken 2 NCL cruises, and they are currently my least favorite line.

I didn't eat at La Cucina because I had HEARD it was awful. Chops was my least favorite of the remaining ones I did eat at.

I thought that the piano bar on NCL was FAR superior to either of my schooner bar experiences.

All this being said, I still preferred Royal overall and greatly looking forward to Anthem!

Edited by denatravels