Escape BX 8710 review - BIG balcony!

jrbeccles

Escape BX cabin 8710 review – another huge balcony!

On June 2015 I posted a review of the Getaway BX balcony cabin 8710. It was so nice that I booked the same cabin on the Thanksgiving cruise on the Escape.

Category BX on the ‘away ships normally means a Guarantee balcony cabin. However there are actually four specific cabins that one can book on the ‘away ships. These are 8710, 8712, 8110, and 8112. These are the most forward balconies on deck 8. While they are usually the lowest priced balconies on the ships, they have one specific advantage. That is their outside balconies are very big. My balcony on the Escape was approximately 9’ by 18’. It had two loungers, two deck chairs, a small table and a big table. The other nice thing is that 8710 and 8110 have no neighbors on one side. The cabin itself was a standard balcony type and was very nice and more than adequate. The bed on 8710 on the Escape was by the slider which was perfect, leaving easy access to the closet. Plenty of storage space.

Pros:

1. Huge balcony!

2. Just down the corridor from the Food Republic and the District Brew House, so very easy to pop out for a drink

3. Deck 8 is a “happening deck” with easy access to decks 7 & 6 (also busy!)

4. Lowest (normally) priced balcony cabin

5. There is morning coffee and rolls (on sea days only) on the Cellars Waterfront.

Cons:

1. It’s a long walk down the corridor, so if you are not fond of a haul, or have a walker etc. it’s not for you

2. On the Getaway there was a normal open hallway on the starboard side straight down to the cabin. However on the Escape, because they replaced some cabins with both the District and FR, to get to the balconies on the starboard side of deck 8 you have to:

a. Go to the port side of the stairs

b. Open not one, not two, but three doors to get to starboard hallway. Try doing that in the morning when bringing the DW back some coffee. Next time I’m bringing my McDonalds to go cup holder.

c. Unlike the Getaway 8710, the Escape 8710 on port days was very noisy. Obviously there was some serious machinery nearby that was needed for docking. If that will annoy you then avoid this room.

d. As mentioned in a number of postings, there was a nice storm on the Thursday, and our cabin was feeling it. Neither of us are prone to seasickness so we were fine, buts its a thought

As for the Escape itself I won’t go into any detail as there are already a bunch of postings on it, apart from to say it’s a lovely ship, nice bars, and wonderful staff, many of whom I recognized from the Getaway. We, like so many others, go with the flow, and it would take something major to upset us, and nothing major occurred. A few minor bumps, but two crew we talked too said to be patient as it takes 6 months to iron out all of the kinks on a new ship.

Apologies for thumbnail picture attachments – not to technically savvy

IMG_3339.jpg.c83743062c8aa5fb95bc890b898128ac.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg.b7be5427958dc9eeb55cce33e8bfd8e5.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg.c618ed88f5e5d0f6f04a3bcb050e857d.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg.cd0e18fc298f7e55bdfa0df3c494491a.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg.5024dafaed90a3db7d2d67160fe1002a.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg.82a7bf4f0709d980728652b3d45edd2c.jpg

Sounds like a good, cost-effective way to get a balcony in the future. Thank you for your information. Interesting sounding maze to get to your room, though!

It seems like you had a good time and were realistic in your expectations. I'm happy for you!

We are go with the flow people, as well, and extremely excited for our family OV on Escape in 32 days! :D

Thank you for posting that info.

I booked one of the m6 mini suites on deck 8.

Besides the noise on port days was there any noise from the theater on deck 7? Also what was the motion like in normal conditions other than the storm?

Thanks for sharing. I saw a lot of questions on these balconies when I was thinking about trying to switch cabins a while ago.

I did find this Youtube video that shows the size difference in relation to the M6's and also where the balcony railing stops. I thought it would be helpful to some...

Thank you for posting that info.

I booked one of the m6 mini suites on deck 8.

Besides the noise on port days was there any noise from the theater on deck 7? Also what was the motion like in normal conditions other than the storm?

Not a peep from the theater! Motion perfectly fine on normal days

Thanks for the photos. My wife and I will be in that room in January. My mother in law is in the same cabin on the other side (8110). She will appreciate the pix as well. Thanks again.

Funnily enough even though her cabin is only a few yards away, I'm pretty sure you'll have to go down the starboard hallway and then back up the port hallway to visit her!

Funnily enough even though her cabin is only a few yards away, I'm pretty sure you'll have to go down the starboard hallway and then back up the port hallway to visit her!

Fine with me [emoji12]. It is my mother in law after all.

Also thanks for the shot where it shows the railing is closer to the drop-off/the sea as on BA or GA (if I am right?).

The mini-suites on deck 8 have a direct view down, whereas on the BX cabins the rail comes in about maybe a foot. But its really nothing and you have a great view (actually closer to the edge then the ones on BA/GA.)

:cool:

Thank you so so much for following up on that balcony size ! Cant wait to cruise it in february.

Would you also have inside pic of the room... Trying to figure out sleeping and storing for a family of 4 .. We were in an inside on getaway last year and we managed fine. It is all about controling your expectation i was once told ...:D and it works ... Lol

Thanks again

Josee

The mini-suites on deck 8 have a direct view down, whereas on the BX cabins the rail comes in about maybe a foot. But its really nothing and you have a great view (actually closer to the edge then the ones on BA/GA.)

Thanks for the first hand confirmation about BA/GA, that's what I meant with the "drop off".

Spotted the greatness of the two BX on ES so really wondered because it makes them quite perfect (and cheapest?) balcony rooms that way!

12132956_1634556616832782_2115964854_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
Escape BX cabin 8710 review – another huge balcony!

Category BX on the ‘away ships normally means a Guarantee balcony cabin. However there are actually four specific cabins that one can book on the ‘away ships. These are 8710, 8712, 8110, and 8112. These are the most forward balconies on deck 8. While they are usually the lowest priced balconies on the ships, they have one specific advantage.

SO- how would one actually go about booking one of these 4 specific rooms since BX are balcony guarantees that would normally be assigned vs. choosing a specific room?