Visas for Australians

D999

Hello everyone,

We will be on a Sojourn cruise in the New Year visiting some Asian countries where Australians need a visa (Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam). The cruise literature has said that visas will be available on board for some natonalities but Australians aren't mentioned. Before we contact Seabourn does anyone have experience as to whether Australians can access the same service as US citizens in this regard?

Out TA says we can but it would be great if it was articulated in the literature.

Thanks

D

I did not think that SB would organize the visa. Also I would like to have my visas in my "hot little hand". In my recent docs from SB (for US not Asia) it says it gives a Visa Service for Aus for US but I did not use them, I got the visa direct from the US visa office (ESTA) it was cheaper. They only charge the nominal charge.

Also in the Checklist "To do before leaving" at the rear of the doc, one of the items is "Passports and Visas"

For the Asian countries check the Aus gov Smarttraveller website. They have info on all countries. For example they have a link to the Vietnam visa office online application.

Hello everyone,

We will be on a Sojourn cruise in the New Year visiting some Asian countries where Australians need a visa (Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam). The cruise literature has said that visas will be available on board for some natonalities but Australians aren't mentioned. Before we contact Seabourn does anyone have experience as to whether Australians can access the same service as US citizens in this regard?

Out TA says we can but it would be great if it was articulated in the literature.

Thanks

D

No matter what anyone here says I'd contact Seabourn.

Hello everyone,

Thanks

D

My DH and I were on Sojourn this February for Myanmar and our Visa was organised on the ship. When we sailed Vietnam in 2010 it was organised on board as well. I haven't done Cambodia so I can't help you there. Both Vietnam and Myanmar were about US$50 per person.

If you call Seabourn Australia on 13 24 02 between 08.30am and 7pm EST the staff I have found to be very helpful. They are available every day apart from Sunday.

Julie

I've been on other ships in both Cambodia and Vietnam, and they are always taken care of by the ship.

The only Visas I know that Australians have to apply for at home are for, India, China, Brazil and USA! Of course Russia too if you want to travel independently, but if doing a ships tour or a tour companies tour, we don't need Visas for even Russia! Very FEW Visas needed these days.

Thank you everyone.

Seabourn have confirmed that Australians can also obtain visas on board for all the countries we are visiting which is fantastic.

Thanks again.

D

Glad that you contacted Seabourn directly which is always the wise things to do.

The reason is that things can change. I've been on some saplings on another line where just in 2008 they didn't obtain a visa for say Vietnam and now do for everyone. That was also the case for Cambodia which at first they didn't obtain but now they do as well.

Even the process of applying for a visa can change with each succeeding year with a country this year requiring say a marriage license whereas just a year earlier they did not. Even in the USA when we apply for Visas sometimes the requirement for getting a visa for another country varies b the state in which we reside.

So always just wise checking with the cruise line so there are no surprises.

The good news is that the places you did mention make the process easy for the passengers and the cruise lines and anytime we can avoid getting a traditional visa which means giving up our passports for a period of time is always appreciated.

I love the way your country does the electronic Visa for those of us visiting from the USA and likewise Turkey now does that as well. Very easy process that we can do in the comfort of our own home.

Keith

Just wondering if anyone here is doing the Sydney to LA on the Odyssey in February? As Australians we now have to apply for an "Esta Visa Waiver" to be able to enter the USA! This can just be done online, but I am stuck on one question.

US Point of Contact.....Name......Address??? Anyone have any idea what we should be writing in this area?

I thought at first to put the address of the Port of LA, then remembered we go to Hawaii first, Kona is the first stop in Hawaii, then a friend pointed out we go to American Samoa first??? Final suggestion was to just use Seabourns Seattle name and address? Any ideas?

I would go with the emperors suggestion. You can always go online and change it any time.

I used the same visa for Hawaii and then a year later NYC and before NYC I went online and updated the address once I knew the New York hotel.

I assume that you will be staying in the Los Angeles area at the end of the cruise. I suggest that you use the address of where you are staying as the address for the ESTA Visa Waiver application.

Not staying in ANY hotels anywhere! Staying on the ship. The answer is apparently, use Seabourn Odyssey as the "name" and for the address its "Cruise ship Sailing". This "question" went to Seabourn Seattle, then to Sydney, so hope I have the correct info now! Will try later today.

Make sure you use the correct government ESTA website. There are some doggy sites selling the visas.

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/esta_scam.html

LOL....yep I have seen that!! The first one I went to wanted $100US per person. I had a ~feeling~ it shouldn't be that much, so now I know its only $14. Wonder how many fall for it?? I almost did and consider myself an experienced traveller!!:confused:

LOL....yep I have seen that!! The first one I went to wanted $100US per person. I had a ~feeling~ it shouldn't be that much, so now I know its only $14. Wonder how many fall for it?? I almost did and consider myself an experienced traveller!!:confused:

I had some helpful advice from a forum such as this before I applied for my first visa several years ago. Now, if in doubt I go to the Smarttraveller Aus Gov website.