Assignment of Guarantee Stateroom

Our cruise leaves in 5 days and our stateroom has not been assigned yet. I am starting to get concerned. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, how much in advance of the cruise was your cabin assigned? The ship appears to be basically sold out which adds to our concern. Any thoughts?

Our cruise leaves in 5 days and our stateroom has not been assigned yet. I am starting to get concerned. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, how much in advance of the cruise was your cabin assigned? The ship appears to be basically sold out which adds to our concern. Any thoughts?

As late as at check in.

The latest we've been given our cabin assignment for a guarantee booking is 3 days prior but I've read here on CC of people occasionally only knowing or getting their cabin assignment when embarking. Most often you'll know your cabin two days prior as the cruise line will pretty well know by then what the final manifest will be and availability is cabin wise.

Don't worry you are guaranteed a cabin in the minimum category booked and if necessary they will make a change over offer to someone to entice them to move to a future cruise to free up a cabin. They will simply enhance the offer until they get someone flexible enough to accept the latest offer.

We're driving to our Anthem cruise early next month, both retired so are completely flexible and our hotel and parking package is refundable up to noon the day prior so we could easily take such a change over offer up to the day prior. Others who live near the embarkation port would even be more likely to accept such an offer. It appears at least half or a very large number of our roll call lives close to or within an easy drive of the NYC homeport for our cruise. Same typically goes for cruises out of Port Everglades where Serenade is. It was also the case for the roll calls of our October B2B Freedom cruises out of Port Canaveral.

Edited by robtulipe

If you still don't know your assignment before the day of the cruise, the porters will be able to check the manifest when you arrive and create luggage tags for you.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the cabin/room assignment process - but isn't it assigned the same day you book the cruise??

Not in the case of a "guarantee" category. These categories are not always available, but when they are, they can save money because you only pick a minimum category and not a specific stateroom. The cruise line picks the stateroom any time between booking and sailing.

Sailing Jan 9, 2016 also did guaranteed stateroom booked on cyber Monday Oasis of the seas already have room assigned,just wondering could this change by the time we sail,I also was hoping for an upgrade

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sailing Jan 9, 2016 also did guaranteed stateroom booked on cyber Monday Oasis of the seas already have room assigned,just wondering could this change by the time we sail,I also was hoping for an upgrade

While it's possible your stateroom could change, it's also highly unlikely.

I booked a guarantee d6 and was assigned my room almost right away. It hasn't changed since then. I'm sailing on Saturday and I was really hoping for a bump. Oh well!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Upgrades are actually rare. Yes you will read about it on CC, but what about the other 99.999% who are not upgraded.

We do guarantees often ( every cruise we can that the category is available for a good price) and in most every case have been assigned the guarantee category - and no better. We are satisfied as we receive the desired category at a good price. In most cases we have been able to switch to another cabin in that same category. We had a recent suite (JS) guarantee and was assigned an obstructed JS ( 1598 - Radiance class) and changed to 1602 aft. The guarantee was $3000 less (yes $3000 as it is 12 night Christmas and NYE sailing) than if one wanted to select a cabin.

OP - our longest wait was 2 days prior to sailing. We had our hopes up as we had a balcony guarantee and only large suites were showing. As expected, they apparently moved a few around and gave us the balcony or had a few balconies in reserve that were not showing on line. On the other end - we booked a guarantee and had our assignment even prior to final payment.

Good luck

M

Not in the case of a "guarantee" category. These categories are not always available, but when they are, they can save money because you only pick a minimum category and not a specific stateroom. The cruise line picks the stateroom any time between booking and sailing.

Thanks, I was completely unaware of this process....so, this saves some money going guarantee....I will look into this on the following cruise after next (Anthem).

Thanks, I was completely unaware of this process....so, this saves some money going guarantee....I will look into this on the following cruise after next (Anthem).

A guarantee in only a good choice if you do NOT care about cabin location. Sometimes the guarantee is assigned and there are no more available cabins in the assigned category so you have to take what they give you. Also guarantee options are not offered on every cruise and every cabin category, or may be offered for a limited time.

good luck

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Upgrades are actually rare. Yes you will read about it on CC, but what about the other 99.999% who are not upgraded.

M

We have done 20 guarantee bookings, most were with RC, then X and a few with Princess, and only twice have been assigned a cabin that was the minimum category of the guarantee so we're averaging 90% for upgrdes. Granted most upgrade assignments were in the same class of cabins, but three times we got upgraded two classes and twice one class. We have been only upgraded, from inside to OV cabin, once with our 31 non-guarantee bookings.

Even if the upgrade is in the same cabin class, it is nice to get a superior extra large deck 12 P2 OV for a Y gty, as we got on Navigator earlier this year or an upper deck D7 balcony for a X gty as we have for our upcoming Anthem cruise. We could have got an obstructed view DO balcony on Anthem but there were many more higher category balconies available when we booked and my experience is that the cruise lines tend to keep the lower categories in reserve when assigning guarantees. IMO these are easier to sell to those who must select their cabin likely because of the lower price.

We've been able to change to a cabin location more to our liking within the same category 3 or 4 times once the guarantee assignment had been done. Only once did we have a bad location we couldn't change but what the heck we were on a cruise at a really good price.

PS- if I had selected our Anthem D7 balcony when booked it would have cost us $1000US more. :)

Edited by robtulipe

My only two "upgrade fairies" both happened from GTY rooms, and both happened WAY before the cruise.

I booked an Oasis cruise for 2016 in a GTY, and about 90 days out got my "CV" room, and then noticed around final payment date that I all of a sudden at a C2 balcony.

Previously I had booked a GTY inside cabin on MJ and 90 days out got my cabin (deck 2) and right before final payment they upgraded me to an outside view.

No rhyme or reason, though -- I had booked a cruise on Liberty with a friend and want to say we both had the same GTY and booked the same day, but his room was designated months before mine was, which was really close to embarkation.

Seeing a GTY available on a particular cruise is usually one reason I'll book it -- I like surprises.

I booked a guarantee d6 and was assigned my room almost right away. It hasn't changed since then. I'm sailing on Saturday and I was really hoping for a bump. Oh well!!

That has been my experience everytime I have booked a guarantee.

jc