sea sickness patch - over the counter?

Jagg3003

I have not been on a cruise in at least 6 years, but am booked on one in September!

I have always been probe to motion sickness. The last cruise I took, I had gotten the prescription patch that you place by your ear, and it worked like a charm.

I have seen patches that appear to be the same on Amazon, etc.. Are these the same thing? Are these patches now over the counter?

I have not been on a cruise in at least 6 years, but am booked on one in September!

I have always been probe to motion sickness. The last cruise I took, I had gotten the prescription patch that you place by your ear, and it worked like a charm.

I have seen patches that appear to be the same on Amazon, etc.. Are these the same thing? Are these patches now over the counter?

No, they are not the same. The scopolomine patch is prescription only (very potent, also, by the way). The patch on Amazon is an herbal product.

In Canada, the scop patch has always been over the counter, and they come in a pack of two. A co-worker decided that if one was good, two would be better (never read the instructions). He was hallucinating for a few hours after we got the patches off of him.

In Canada, the scop patch has always been over the counter, and they come in a pack of two. A co-worker decided that if one was good, two would be better (never read the instructions). He was hallucinating for a few hours after we got the patches off of him.

Oh my, that's terrible!

Well, thanks for the info, I will just go get a prescription for the same thing (and only use one at a time!)!

I highly recommend going the drug free method of using the wrist bands. They come in pairs, made of soft cotton and elastic with a small plastic pressure knob that goes against your inner wrist. I have worn them on numerous sailings many rather rough and never had any seasickness with them on. After about five minutes you will not know you have them on. They should be available at any drug store.

And the best part is no worry about consuming adult beverages or reactions to drugs, patches etc. Not to also mention they cost under $12 for the pair, require no prescription and last forever. Mine are over 10 years of age.

Edited by Lakesregion

Oh my, that's terrible!

Well, thanks for the info, I will just go get a prescription for the same thing (and only use one at a time!)!

If you find that you have had side effects of the patch before, or this time, there is a safe and effective way to decrease the dosage to mediate the side effects and see if the motion sickness benefit remains. DO NOT CUT THE PATCH IN TWO. Simply take a small, round band-aid and place it behind your ear. Place the scop patch half on the band-aid and half on your skin. Only the part on your skin will release the drug, so only half a dose at a time will be administered, and the patch will last twice as long. You can adjust dosage to balance side effects and benefits by moving the scop patch more or less onto the band-aid.

Canada sells scop OTC? Pretty trippy . . . we need a wall.

It is called Transderm V. Works great. Available at Shoppers Drug mart, walmart, and I'm sure some other pharmacies as well.

I use the patch when cruising (and meclizine and the wrist band). I usually can leave the patch off after the first 3 days and just use the meclizine. I find they both make me very thirsty. I still feel the motion of the ship (when others do not seem to) and it makes me somewhat dizzy but not nauseous. It seems like a lot of medication but if you've never suffered from motion sickness you might not get it. It's worth the side effects to me to be able to enjoy cruising.

I have to use the Scopolamine patch since I get severe motion sickness. I got a box of 4 through my pharmacy for about $85 (with insurance). Yikes! Guess I need to move to Canada to get decent prices. Unfortunately, the one time I decided to forgo the patch and just use the wrist bands I was sick for 36 hours until the patch I had brought along for emergency use only started to work. If it worked for you before - don't tempt fate. Just use it.