Flooding in paris

merlot101

If you are cruising the seine you should check the status of your trip

Regardless of which company you're traveling with....flooding in Paris is terrible. Louvre is closed tomorrow while they move art out of danger. I don't ever recall seeing it this bad...and it's just as bad in parts of Germany as well.

We were in Paris and on the Seine on a Uniworld cruise last week and are on the Rhone with Uniworld and the same cruise director this week. Last night he told us the the Quai Citroen where we had docked was totally underwater and the nearby park Citroen was also underwater totally. The Uniworld River Baroness and most other River ships seem to be in a holding pattern at Rouen.

The Louvre is indeed closed, so are roads on the embankment in Paris and some underground stations that are usually taken by a lot of tourists to key attractions in Paris. The Seine water level is predicted to peak today at 6m. The waters will not reach to old town as they did in the worst flood in 1910. The sightseeing boats are not running.

notamermaid

correction to my previous post: I meant railway lines not the metro. Info taken from BBC news.

The Loing river region was most affected, all that water has reached the Seine now causing the current situation in Paris.

More rain is to come over the weekend.

notamermaid

Any info on the Rhone Arles to Lyon direction?

Carole

We are sailing south Lyon to Arles and are in Avignon right now. Even on Monday when we were in Macon on the Saone north of Lyon the captain feared getting stuck heading south to Lyon so he sailed an empty ship to Lyon and us passengers had a 1 hour long bus ride from Baunne to Lyon (instead of Macon). Last night the captain said the Rhone south of Lyon was still okay but the Saone north of Lyon was flooding.

We are sailing south Lyon to Arles and are in Avignon right now. Even on Monday when we were in Macon on the Saone north of Lyon the captain feared getting stuck heading south to Lyon so he sailed an empty ship to Lyon and us passengers had a 1 hour long bus ride from Baunne to Lyon (instead of Macon). Last night the captain said the Rhone south of Lyon was still okay but the Saone north of Lyon was flooding.

Thx

Doing this itinerary in July so we do have time .Would love your review/comments/suggestions on the trip

Carole

The Seine is officially closed at Rouen. We will dock in Rouen for 2 nights since we can't sail into Paris. Avalon is then transferring us to a hotel in Paris for 2 nights. We are trying to go with the flow. We are all happy with Avalon's change of itinerary & their communication about the changes with us.

The Seine is officially closed at Rouen. We will dock in Rouen for 2 nights since we can't sail into Paris. Avalon is then transferring us to a hotel in Paris for 2 nights. We are trying to go with the flow. We are all happy with Avalon's change of itinerary & their communication about the changes with us.

"Go with the flow" that is ironic! Keep up the good attitude and enjoy Paris. ;)

We spent 5 days in Paris this week culminating and following our Cities of Light sailing with Viking. We definitely did not see the sun while there and got lots of rain. The Seine was high and had debris in it (branches mostly). The photos are from Wednesday, so not at the height of the crest.

452467315_floodedSeine5-2.jpg.7240651db4b67d2e4f73a5a78d486b34.jpg

971547451_floodedSeine6.jpg.2932c856d64d552916f423478b8df589.jpg

1019106619_floodedSeine7-4.jpg.acf3de07276549fc0e79e741e1a8278e.jpg

1689769834_floodedSeine7-3.jpg.ccde8e5131190b4327adb2074e78772a.jpg

1586360511_floodedSeine7-2.jpg.82d63f0c7ad8ebd305d0329bc72f3d49.jpg

623761945_floodedSeine7.jpg.35fe4b14387b3e991ed6a61b9772a113.jpg

Notre Dame is fine...friends went there today for a mass. I'm in Paris right now having come from Rouen this a.m. There are lots of ships in Rouen, as you've read. We are on a land tour and found most museums in Paris closed due to flooding threat. This is my third time in Paris...the Seine looks really odd with no river traffic at all.

Edited by Barrheadlass

Notre Dame is fine...friends went there today for a mass. I'm in Paris right now having come from Rouen this a.m. There are lots of ships in Rouen, as you've read.

How fares the garden at Giverny?

Not too well according to a local newspaper: http://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/risque-de-crue-dans-leure-le-musee-de-giverny-est-ferme-4273185

It says that - dated 3 June - the garden is closed until Monday due to risk of flooding in the region Eure.

Hopefully someone on a cruise has an update.

notamermaid

Just got off Viking Buri Avignon to Lyons- we could not get up the Saone to Macon which was our stop for Sat 4 June due to high water and low bridge on the Saone. Instead Viking bussed us to the tours from our dock in Lyon, adding only a half hour to the tour and in addition they added lunch in Cluny instead of going back to ship between am and pm tours- it was a wonderful lunch, kudos to Viking.

Notre Dame is fine...friends went there today for a mass. I'm in Paris right now having come from Rouen this a.m. There are lots of ships in Rouen, as you've read.

How fares the garden at Giverny?

Sorry, have no idea. I skipped it this trip.

Yesterday the Gardens in Giverny were closed due to high water. Many of the museums are closed today in Paris but hope to reopen tomorrow. The Seine in Paris is still closed to all traffic due to high water & very fast current. It was actually a nice day in Paris today & the sun came out for a few hours. I have heard nothing as to when they are hoping to open the Seine back to even local river traffic.

I am on Avalon Currently at le Harve off to the beaches tomorrow,hope we get to Giverney.

Which hotel did they put you in in Paris seems we may have to do same

Edited by tinkky