Scary animals in Vancouver and Alaska?

This Florida girl is SICK of SNAKES. I'm hoping that we won't run across any while on our Alaskan cruise in August.

Can you locals let me know what kind of scary wildlife we might come across while hiking so that I can start managing my expectations?

And speaking of scary... putterdude - do you greet the incoming ships as well? It sounds like a fabulous sight.

Thank you - I can handle big things like that that won't sneak up on me. I'm not planning on anything specific or particularly rigorous - definitely want to check out Vancouver Park, Capilano looks a bit rugged, and some trails in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and near Anchorage.

I'm just so frustrated with snakes that I won't leave the pavement in Florida anymore and was hoping for a little more freedom on this trip. Alligators and huge lizzards are starting to be a nuisance as well.

I've heard there's a lot of mosquitoes up there - what about spiders?

Thanks for your feedback.

There is nothing particularly scary in Vancouver (unless you go wandering in the Downtown Eastside). But in Alaska---well, bears can very easily sneak up behind you and kill you. Take the advice of locals when you go hiking. I grew up in south Florida, so snakes (most of which are non-poisonous) don't bother me very much, nor do alligators (at least in the daytime), but I found the bears in western North Carolina really dangerous if I accidentally got between a mother and her cubs, and I'm sure it's the same in Alaska.

Edited by Langoustine

Thoughts....

[YOUTUBE]RJZcYalXkPg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]k8h1oLcVWLI[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]pBr31IGlIyA[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

There are no venomous snakes in Alaska, only garter snakes and I’ve never seen one and I hike a lot. Having grown up on the east side at the base of the Cascades we learned to continually scan the trail and surrounding area for rattle snakes. In Alaska you scan ahead looking for bears and in Anchorage moose.

You may run into a bear while hiking but it’s unlikely, particularly when there are so many others hiking in the port towns at the same time.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/safety/bears.htm

Thank you - I can handle big things like that that won't sneak up on me. I'm not planning on anything specific or particularly rigorous - definitely want to check out Vancouver Park, Capilano looks a bit rugged, and some trails in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and near Anchorage.

I'm just so frustrated with snakes that I won't leave the pavement in Florida anymore and was hoping for a little more freedom on this trip. Alligators and huge lizzards are starting to be a nuisance as well.

Thanks for your feedback.

On the spider front, you will find Western Black Widows throughout southern BC, including the Vancouver area - as long as you don't disturb bits of wood and rocks off the trails though it's very unlikely you'll see one, let alone risk getting bitten (it's usually folks who keep stacks of wood for fireplaces who are at risk).

Any snakes around Vancouver will be of no concern - the only really venomous one we have in the province is the Northern Pacific Rattlesnake. If you take a trip up to Okanagan wine country and go hiking it's a good idea to look out for them, but that's four hours+ drive from Vancouver - hereabouts a few species of garter snake are all you'll see, if any.

August is long after crow nesting season - they might poop on you, and the sight of all the murders merging into a massive Hitchcockian cloud as they start flying east to roost is a bit freaky the first time you see it, but they're no longer territorial by summer. Young owls do attack twilight joggers with ponytails though (bouncing ponytails look like a squirrel!) - it's usually in September, so depending when you're here in August tucking hair under a hat or leaving loose might not be a bad plan in Stanley Park and around the UBC campus area.

Aww. Sorry you are having anxiety about this. Yes we have spiders as mentioned - later in the season (after you've left, I'm thinking) we see those awful "wolf spiders" (I cringed as I typed that!!! :p ) but I mean, there are always spiders around. Staying on a well-trodden path will mean less likelihood of them building a web across your path. And yes to mosquitoes as well - it's just a part of summer.

Do be more vigilant in Alaska. Bears can smell food from miles away and the advice is to hike with no food on you at all, no granola bars, not a stick of gum, even - you can research this more online, but safe to say I think you will be fine. :)

You're coming to a beautiful part of the world! Enjoy your cruise.

This Florida girl is SICK of SNAKES. I'm hoping that we won't run across any while on our Alaskan cruise in August.

Can you locals let me know what kind of scary wildlife we might come across while hiking so that I can start managing my expectations?

And speaking of scary... putterdude - do you greet the incoming ships as well? It sounds like a fabulous sight.

OMG! OMG! OMG! She sure has YOUR number, huh, Putterdude! Word is out on the streets - or should I say the waterways to look out for some crazy guy doing the Full Monty. I'm guessing he doesn't do it for returning ships though because that might be a tad early and much too cold for this wild animal.

OMG! OMG! OMG! She sure has YOUR number, huh, Putterdude! Word is out on the streets - or should I say the waterways to look out for some crazy guy doing the Full Monty. I'm guessing he doesn't do it for returning ships though because that might be a tad early and much too cold for this wild animal.

too funny! No, He wants to give the passengers their first free show of their cruise. J/K Putterdude!

Not so much in downtown Vancouver, but for Alaska: Moose.

Be aware of the Moose. They may look dumb and slow, but they are fast and deadly. I run into them frequently where I live (including having them on my front and rear lawn!!!). Especially nasty when a cow has it's calf nearby. As soon as you see, do not stop to watch, slowly turn around and go the other way. You an do a YouTube search and find plenty of video of human vs Moose encounters…

You may remember "Northern Exposure" - the moose looks so cute ambling through the town in the opening credits. If you leave them be, that is just what they do look like.

There are other animals you need to watch out for, but you will probably only see them on the ship.

They are the Angry Buffet diners on the cruise ship, who will bark and scream at you if you take the piece of bacon they wanted. There is also one that preys on young bucks like myself, the Pacific Cougar, who frequently hangs out at bars and dance clubs and won't take no for an answer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had to back off on the Full Montys, my neighbours got to my parole officer and he said no more of that. As for greeting ships southbound, they go by between 3 and 5 am so I try hard not see them and the there is a "Notice to Mariners" not to honk as they sail by.;)

With regard to scary animals in BC and SE Alaska, in addition to the ones mentioned, there is a very small chance that you could encounter a cougar or a bobcat. However, in truth I have seen only one cougar and 2 bobcats in my lifetime. Bears are another issue while hiking, there is lots of articles on the WWW re avoiding contact with bears and I would recommend familiarising yourself with the articles. We often have black bears strolling though our yard and I just try to give them the widest berth that I can.