Just returned from our Rhone cruise with Uniworld!

dbncsuvet

We returned last week from our cruise on the SS Catherine through beautiful Burgundy and Provence. We started the trip with 3 days in Paris, and ended it with a night in Les Baux de Provence.

We lucked out with the weather, as we got out of Paris right before the floods started. Luckily, our ship was minimally impacted. We had to take a bus from Beaune back to Lyon (instead of back to Macon) so our ship could leave the Saone and get back to the Rhone to avoid getting stuck. Other than that, it was smooth sailing.

Uniworld was great. The room was beautiful and the bed was extremely comfortable. The service was amazingly attentive and all of the staff were very professional. If anything, they were too attentive! My husband would sometimes get wine and not even drink it, just so people would stop asking him if he wanted some!

Our cruise director was Thierry and our hotel manager was Yann. They are both French and were very visible during the entire trip, and made sure everything was running smoothly and that everyone was happy. The head chef and restaurant manager were also extremely visible and attentive. The food was really good, albeit heavy, and the wines were nice.

The only downside on our trip was that my husband ended up getting food poisoning, I think from a bouchon we ate at in Lyon before getting on the ship. Nobody else got sick (including me) so I doubt it was anything he ate on the ship. He was down and out for almost 3 days, which left me exploring a lot of the ports on my own. Luckily I made some friends with fellow passengers so I had some people to explore with and to sit with at meals. While he was sick, all of the staff on the boat was very attentive to his needs. They were always asking how he was doing, arranged for a doctor to come onto the ship to look at him, and picked up prescriptions for him. The restaurant manager made me plates of crackers, rice, and plain chicken to bring him. I wish he did not get sick but I was glad he was in good hands on the ship.

My favorite port was Avignon. I actually did not even do the included tour there because I opted for the optional included tour of Pont du Gard (it no longer costs extra!) which was also amazing. We had a whole afternoon free in Avignon though so I explored on my own. I thought they fortified city was beautiful and really enjoyed the Pope's Palace.

After the cruise we went to Les Baux on our own. The cruise ship arranged for a taxi for us to get there. I absolutely loved Les Baux and would recommend it as a must-see for anyone visiting Provence. The castle was very interesting and I am going to bring my kids back in a few years so they can see the old weapons. Also, Carrieres de Lumieres was breathtaking and not to be missed.

The most difficult thing during our trip was all of the strikes in France. Our TGV was canceled due to rail strikes and we had to book another one. Also, people could not get to the airport on the day we were flying out because striking airport employees were blocking the entrance road! Luckily for us, our hotel knew of this and told us to take the CDG tram, which deposited us right inside the airport, so we made it to our flight safely. My biggest advice when traveling to France is to be flexible on your travel plans and allow extra time to get anywhere and check up on flights and trains the day before!

I would be happy to answer any questions about the cruise or the region. I will try to figure out how to post some pictures!

Welcome home! Sorry to hear about the hiccups along the way and hope your husband is back to feeling well.

The strikes in France are a real pain! We once had to drive from Nice to Paris unexpectedly after a strike canceled our TGV trip. Glad ythat ou found an easier way into the airport - and I bet it was cheaper than a taxi! We always take the RER between CDG and the City.

Also glad to hear that SS Catherine and Uniworld are still as wonderful as I remember. Looking forward to pictures when you get around to posting. :)

Thank you for taking the time to write about your cruise. Sorry to hear about your husband's food poisoning - that had to be awful.

What is a bouchon?

Roz

The Rhone remains my favorite itinerary so far.

We both got a case of food poisoning from oysters in Avignon, at a cafe we enjoyed on a previous trip. We should have known better as temps were north of 100 degrees for the duration and their refrigeration not like ours here at home.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Type of restaurant serving the local food of Lyon.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Travels/The-Bouchons-of-Lyon

(I've had this old article bookmarked for ages! Because I want to visit - though it's so old I have no idea if the actual places are still open:o)

You can get the full list of bouchons (which is a government-regulated designation in Lyon) on the Lyon tourism website here: http://www.en.lyon-france.com/Eat/The-Bouchon-Lyonnais-label

I would still eat in one, and I really liked the one we ate in. We don't know for sure if that was the place he got it, but we just thought it might have been since he tried the Andouillette there and they have some weird stuff in them (think pig intestines and the like). JP, I think you also tried those when you went to France, didn't you? Not the best tasting or smelling thing we had that was for sure...

Oh no...Not the andouiette! Thanks for bringing back that memory. :eek:

After your very clear review, I'm surprised anyone has the courage to try it! You certainly saved me from a best-missed adventure!

Great article! The smell was tolerable while they were hot, and covered in mustard sauce. Once they cooled and I ran out of mustard sauce, though... I'm adventurous, but yuck! At least they didn't make me sick (other than metaphorically)... CPT Trips, great link. It made my stomach grumble a little just reading it.

I searched and found It for it only because I thought the spelling of "andouille" was wrong. :eek:

I guess I better research bouchon menu items so I know what to expect.

Edited by CPT Trips

I searched and found It for it only because I thought the spelling of "andouille" was wrong. :eek:

I guess I better research bouchon menu items so I know what to expect.

Andouille is something completely different - a spicy, tasty :D sausage from New Orleans. Minor spelling change makes a major change to Andouillette!