From Valor to Liberty?

Kanebaby

The Liberty has been having propulsion/speed issues lately, and they're changing ports because the Valor (in their opinion) is better suited for traveling out of Galveston to the Caribbean, and for longer periods. I'm still going over reviews and posts on the Liberty to see how she is. For us its just a weekend cruise before Christmas so I'm not upset about the changes. We haven't been on the Valor or Liberty, and both have most, or all of the 2.0 upgrades. For such a short cruise, and to get away right before the holiday, we'd be happy to be on any ship.

We received and email today that our Feb.5 cruise to the Bahamas on the Valor has changed to the Liberty. Is that good or bad? And why would this happen? TIA
Edited by sjcruiser

We received and email today that our Feb.5 cruise to the Bahamas on the Valor has changed to the Liberty. Is that good or bad? And why would this happen? TIA

If you read the email, it's because the Valor is, apparently, a speedier ship, better suited to the cruises from Galveston.

If you read the email, it's because the Valor is, apparently, a speedier ship, better suited to the cruises from Galveston.

Well i didn't actually read the email. My Mom received it and told me about it. The reservation is in her name.

We got the same email about our cruise out of PC in February and we are wondering the same thing. Is the switch to Liberty better? worse? the same?

Also, does anyone know what repairs or upgrades the Liberty is getting during its dry dock?

Virtually none that will impact passengers. Per Carnival's website:

Carnival Liberty dry dock: 12/01/16 - 12/16/16

In addition to routine hotel maintenance and cosmetic enhancements in lounges and public areas such as new carpeting, wall coverings, tile work and lighting, the following will take place:

Crew area renovations

Edit: it was the first ship to get Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades in 2011, so it's been up to date for a while

Edited by morninsun86

We've sailed on both the Valor and Liberty and other than the decor we really didn't notice any significant differences. They are sister ships and we enjoyed both ships equally. I'm sure you'll have a great cruise on the Liberty.

From what I read ... the ships are ALMOST identical but there are some cabins on the VALOR that are unique and Carnival cannot do an even swap (like my cabin on 2 booked Valor cruises.) Additionally, the Liberty has had propulsion issues over the past 2 years ... SO ... I think the passengers previously booked on the VALOR are getting the short end of the stick ... just my opinion ... I am very upset because I selected my unique cabins for 2 cruises on the VALOR and now ... who knows where they are going to stick me ... I am definitely going to ask for a total refund and book with another cruise line for our short get aways if Carnival doesn't live up to their part of the bargain. We have cruised several cruiselines and have been as faithful as we can with Carnival; however, that is about to change ....

Virtually none that will impact passengers. Per Carnival's website:

Carnival Liberty dry dock: 12/01/16 - 12/16/16

In addition to routine hotel maintenance and cosmetic enhancements in lounges and public areas such as new carpeting, wall coverings, tile work and lighting, the following will take place:

Crew area renovations

Edit: it was the first ship to get Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades in 2011, so it's been up to date for a while

I thought they were swapping her for the Valor. We are on the Valor for the December 11 cruise and our cruise was cut short a day. I assumed because they were moving Valor to Galveston and Liberty to Orlando that day?

I got my new reservation from Liberty to Valor. Cabin assignments are both 6B (ocean view) However, the Valor room is now at the very front of the ship verses mid-way. Not sure my tummy is going to like that. Is that considered an equal swap? Or should I inquire about it?

I got my new reservation from Liberty to Valor. Cabin assignments are both 6B (ocean view) However, the Valor room is now at the very front of the ship verses mid-way. Not sure my tummy is going to like that. Is that considered an equal swap? Or should I inquire about it?

Pull up the cruise plans for the Valor; if your new room is an 6B or higher (C, D etc) then you are equal or better.

Never hurts to call if you want to be more mid-ship. Personally, we don't notice much of a difference. Do you have issues when in the show lounge? How about up on the higher decks at the front of the ship. If not, I can't see that it would be an issue. But then again, I don't tend to sea sickness...

So is my 4 day cruise that was scheduled on the valor out of Port Canaveral still a 4 day on the Liberty?

If it is after December 15, 2016 I would assume so. Not 100% sure though. If they fix the propulsion issue when it goes into dry dock in January they may send Liberty back to Galveston, I would think??? I'm sure someone on here knows more about that though.

From what I read ... the ships are ALMOST identical but there are some cabins on the VALOR that are unique and Carnival cannot do an even swap (like my cabin on 2 booked Valor cruises.) Additionally, the Liberty has had propulsion issues over the past 2 years ... SO ... I think the passengers previously booked on the VALOR are getting the short end of the stick ... just my opinion ... I am very upset because I selected my unique cabins for 2 cruises on the VALOR and now ... who knows where they are going to stick me ... I am definitely going to ask for a total refund and book with another cruise line for our short get aways if Carnival doesn't live up to their part of the bargain. We have cruised several cruiselines and have been as faithful as we can with Carnival; however, that is about to change ....

This is the only thing I'm bummed about. I love those grand scenic ocean views and have been eyeing them for quite some time. I'm glad I finally got the opportunity to stay in one a few weeks ago. Loved it!! I'm curious what they will deem comparable. Hopefully you're placed somewhere you can still enjoy yourselves and try to make the best of it :)

What date is your cruise on the Valor? I am trying to find the dates fro the 4-5 day cruises out of Galveston but they have not opened up the booking for Valor yet. I originally planned to sail on Liberty January 14th 2017.

Thanks, just curious.

Just curious as to what date your sailing on Valor, I have been looking to book Liberty out of Galveston on January 14th 2017. I am hopeful that this cruise date will be available for the Valor? So far Carnival has not opened back up the 4-5 day cruises out of Galveston that the Valor will be taking over for Liberty.

Thanks

If it is after December 15, 2016 I would assume so. Not 100% sure though. If they fix the propulsion issue when it goes into dry dock in January they may send Liberty back to Galveston, I would think??? I'm sure someone on here knows more about that though.

My cruise os in April and they are changing us to Liberty so not thinking Liberty is going back to Galveston.

Pull up the cruise plans for the Valor; if your new room is an 6B or higher (C, D etc) then you are equal or better.

Never hurts to call if you want to be more mid-ship. Personally, we don't notice much of a difference. Do you have issues when in the show lounge? How about up on the higher decks at the front of the ship. If not, I can't see that it would be an issue. But then again, I don't tend to sea sickness...

Not always sea sick, but yes, I always feel queasy in the lounge and comedy club. Actually I cant tell a difference from low to high decks, but more so forward to middle. The category is the same...just a different location. I might give them a call. Thanks

The higher the catagory letter, the more desired the location. So if you were Catagory 6A and now you are 6B you are a more desired location. 6C even more desired. Etc... If you are same deck, same catagory, that is probably the best they can do. Since the ships are so identically laid out., and they are swapping Valor pax over to Liberty and LIberty pax over to Valor, we all should basically end up in approx the same spot as original cabins on your orig. booking. I'm hoping .. for that... or better!

Important Update:

During our Carnival Liberty/Carnival Valor ship change process, some guests received a cancellation notice regarding cancelled pre-sale items, i.e., shore excursions, beverage packages, Faster to the Fun, Fun Shop purchases, Carnival Live, etc. Rest assured, our team will reinstate all pre-sale items at the original purchased price. We kindly ask that you refrain from rebooking any pre-sales to avoid double bookings. Thank you for your patience as our team completes this work.