Pros and cons of Aft Balcony cabin?

shellysh

We were on the Glory in an aft wrap and loved it. The only, very slight, con was we got a couple of ice cream cones on the balcony. We never experienced any soot. Our upcoming cruise is also in an aft wrap, the size of the balcony is wonderful!

Whatever you choose, enjoy your cruise.:)

We just got back from the Victory with an aft cabin,,,and now I can no longer cruise without an aft cabin-we loved it. We kept the door open the whole time we were there and it sounded like we had a waterfall in our backyard the whole time. It was great at night when sleeping. We only closed the door when we left the cabin and when we had to open our front door for room service-it would then create a huge wind tunnel and blow everything around. Yes, we got an occasional broken plate, but that's it.

I loved it....wife hated it.

The +'s

You don't feel boxed in. It's sort of like an open balcony. It's a little larger, however the extra space is taken away by the fact that the rail and plexiglass are at a tilt, so it's only good if you stand at 2 1/2 feet.

The -'s. It's noisy at sea. I mean NOISY. You can see the people below you, and the people above you can see you. There's no shade for most of the day, unless you're at the right angle.

It is a long walk to the front of the ship. It is relatively quiet in the hallways as there's virtually no traffic.

There is vibration back there, with a little bit of motion wise.

D/W and I both loved it. Mr pete is right though no shade during the day and very little wind as you are on the back of the ship. Wife actually liked this as she is a sun worshipper. We both enjoyed the evenings and mornings. Also enjoyed the mini community that is created during the week. We had a daily ritual with the cabins around us including those above and below of meeting on our decks each morning and after returing from shore to welcome in the day and talk about our day in port.

Yes it is a LONG walk to the front of the ship, but I know we will book an aft cabin again.

Loved the aft balcony.

On Destiny/Triumph and Conquest-class ships, I would definitely recommend Empress Deck (7) as it is between two passenger decks. We had Verandah Deck previously and there was a great deal of chair-movement noises in the early morning from the Lido above.

Only vibration experienced was from the ship's side thrusters when the ship was maneuvering in and out of port.

Loved the aft balcony.

On Destiny/Triumph and Conquest-class ships, I would definitely recommend Empress Deck (7) as it is between two passenger decks. We had Verandah Deck previously and there was a great deal of chair-movement noises in the early morning from the Lido above.

Only vibration experienced was from the ship's side thrusters when the ship was maneuvering in and out of port.

Yep - talk about a RUDE awakending:D .... If you have an early excursion planned, you are already up anyway. If not, you will be! But I would not trade that location for any other - especially on Spirit Class ships. We even decided to switch our CAT 12 on the Glory next year to a CAT 9 - just for the aft corner (yes, the room itself is nothing special - the location is).

Tom

Tom

Yep - talk about a RUDE awakending:D .... If you have an early excursion planned, you are already up anyway. If not, you will be! But I would not trade that location for any other - especially on Spirit Class ships. We even decided to switch our CAT 12 on the Glory next year to a CAT 9 - just for the aft corner (yes, the room itself is nothing special - the location is).

Tom

Tom

...make that AWAKENING.. (what is that little ABC thingy for anyway...:o )

Tom

I know I'm in the minority but I really don't like the aft balconies. There is very little air moving back there and it will be HOT in Europe in August. An side balcony or aft wrap would be better for a breeze. Also, I don't really like the glass at a tilt. We had a chaise lounge but you had to lay UNDER the glass to use it.

It's great to see where you've been but I've been on the Mediterran sailing and you'll want to see coming in to port. It's absolutely beautiful at day break. Most of the time it will be dark leaving port so you aren't going to see much when you do have a view.

Just remember to wipe down your chair before sitting if you are wearing white - you DO get a light coating of soot. I tried an aft balcony on the Triumph this past summer and didn't really care for it. It couldn't have been so bad, because I've booked an aft suite on the NCL Spirit for '07.

There is very little air moving back there and it will be HOT in Europe in August. .

most of the hot afternoons are spent in a port-- or around the ship somewhere. It DOES stay warm so I suggest to keep the curtains closed during the day to keep the cabin cool.

Once you've done aft, you will never go back.

We loved it. The sunsets are fantastic. Very quite, not a lot of folks walking/running and screaming in front of your door at all hours of the day and night.

We are doing another back to back in March on the Valor and picked our room for the aft location.

Pluses

1. Don't have to worry about weather you are larboard of starboard

2. Hard to get lost just head toward aft.

3. Everythings forward

Minus

1. Not much privacy

2. Long way to the front of the ship

3. See where you have been not where you are going

I would have an aft cabin again. However Derfette doesn't. So, No aft cabin again.

PROS:

There not much noise in the hallway, you get lots of excercise, and you really can just sit and watch the world go by. Beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

CONS:.......................;-)

Try to get between 2 passenger decks...Empress Deck on the Conquest.....pure heaven!

If you trust these boards then please listen to what I am saying, The only way to cruise is the sft and the only way I would ever cruise!!!!! The views from the aft are the best if you pass on such a cabin you will never forgive yourself and as statedabove

We had an aft on the Miracle this past April.. LOVED IT! Except for a few 'ashes' in the AM, nothing else bothered us. Enjoyed talking with our next door 'balcony' neighbors while having coffee in the AM..:) Our cabin, 6264 was center aft.

Trying RCI Jewel in April 2006 and have booked JS 1100 which is a junior suite with a wrap around balcony. Pictures show two chaise lounges, three chairs and a real 'dining' table on the balcony...:p I may get spoiled!

I'm guessing I will miss the good Carnival food, tho'.. :(

Cuizer2 - That true.. Lets see First elevator bank forward up 2 decks and Breakfast is served or to the sky pool bar for drinks, or down 3 decks and dinner is served. Only really needed to venture to the front of the ship for shows or shopping. Plus the ice cream machines and pizza are on the aft end of the ship. Heck who needs the rest of the ship. *LOL*

We never had any soot problems on our balcony. We had heard this so were always looking for it.

Even though you are looking at what the ship has passed you can see both sides and never miss anything.

Cuizer2 - That true.. Lets see First elevator bank forward up 2 decks and Breakfast is served or to the sky pool bar for drinks' date=' or down 3 decks and dinner is served. Only really needed to venture to the front of the ship for shows or shopping. Plus the ice cream machines and pizza are on the aft end of the ship. Heck who needs the rest of the ship. *LOL*

We never had any soot problems on our balcony. We had heard this so were always looking for it.

Even though you are looking at what the ship has passed you can see both sides and never miss anything.[/quote']

Also, when the ship is backing, into or out of a port, you have the best view!

We had an aft balcony on our recent Liberty cruise and we absolutely loved it. My wife said that on future cruises she would rather have the aft cabin instead of a suite. The views are beautiful when you leave port and since ours was on the port side, we could see things on the side of the ship as well as the back when coming into port. There is more motion back there than in the middle of the ship but we didn't let that discourage us. We had unusually rough seas from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan. People all over the ship were complaining about the motion. Our cabin was on deck 6, and we heard no noise from other places on the ship.

We are looking at getting an aft balcony when we go on the Pride next year. Are they basically the same as the ones on the Destiny and Conquest class ships or are there some differences?

We are looking at getting an aft balcony when we go on the Pride next year. Are they basically the same as the ones on the Destiny and Conquest class ships or are there some differences?

You will find the aft jsut as nice as the COnquest-- maybe a bit smaller then the ones on Liberty--- we had an aft 6262 on the Miracle. was very nice.

Deck 5 has smaller cabins then the rest of the decks.

But its right across from the laundry.

Deck 4 is partially covered.

Suites --cat 11 on the corners are fabuous.. they are set up as little rooms. one sitting area is away from the bedroom. the balconies on the corners are better then awesome. If ever I was to buy a suite--that will be the way to go.

Archived