2005 - Your worst NCL Memories

shoreguy

My husband being thrown out of the galleria mall during their final sales before closing when the cashier took 3 people out of turn before him and his opening his mouth to tell her she was wrong. The ass't. manager asked him to get out of the store without knowing what had transpired, in a very loud voice, calling this incident to everyones attention. Really bad public relations. Turned me off of NCL. So far, no response from PR.

This one isn't really fair on NCL but it was associated with an NCL cruise. and may have been in part NCL's responsibility.

We were on Jewel's inaugural cruise - 2 nights from Dover, to Amsterdam & back. Having left home at about 8:30 am we arrived at the enrance to Dover Western Dock in our car at about 2:45. By 3:45 we had progressed a further 300 yards, approx.... It turned out that NCL had invited a number of visitors onto the ship (possibly TA representatives?) for the day. They were supposed to be off the ship by 2pm but they weren't, so their cars were still occupying the car parking bays on the dockside. In the end it took us almost 90 minutes just to get from the harbour gate into Embarkation Reception. At the end of a long drive this was not the welcome we had been expecting.

At least we were able to park on the dock. There were a lot of people further ahead of us in the queue who were told that there was no room for them, and that should turn round and go to an overflow carpark in Dover town from where a minibus would bring them back to the ship. I gather that the minibus was very small, and was barely doing one trip every half-hour. They were still recovering people from the overflow carpark at 5pm.

True, the overall car parking arrangements were the responsibility of the Dover Harbour Board and not NCL. However I think NCL had to accept some responsibility because it looked as if they hadn't grasped the degree to which Jewel would stretch Dover's infrastructure. And not getting the industry parties off the ship on time compounded the problem.

Our only disappointment on NCL this year was not having Pamala Stanley and Anna Y Los Vientos on our October Jewel cruise. They were all scheduled to be on board but had to leave early for medical reasons. We really missed them.

My brother-in-law got hit by a wave and lost his teeth. So, if while looking for your wedding band, you see a grouper with a great smile.........:o

Wow, that happened to a member of our group off Roatan, and one of our excellent guides dove down and, traveling in concentric circles, found the teeth!

My only bad memory has to be having the Miami police summoned when I refused to disembark the Jewel after my week was up. It was so painful being dragged along the gangway as I kicked and screamed loudly. Plus, I lost a shoe.

Oh, there aren't any bad memories.

But, I surely must do it again, so that I can do everything which I didn't do the first time.

A week is such a short time to try to fit in all of the options just for dining alone.

I did hate getting separated from my family, and not being able to figure out how to get to the aft of deck 11, where they were finally spotted.

A very kind crew member walked me around a bit, and we finally joined them. We did all get quite a chuckle from this bit of confusion on my part.

My worst for 2005:

Having to switch from New Orleans to Miami for our Jan 2006 NCL cruise after Katrina - not NCL's fault at all but we were REALLY looking forward to our pre-cruise stay in New Orleans. However, we coped and I am sure we will have a great cruise.

My worst for 2005:

Having to switch from New Orleans to Miami for our Jan 2006 NCL cruise after Katrina - not NCL's fault at all but we were REALLY looking forward to our pre-cruise stay in New Orleans. However, we coped and I am sure we will have a great cruise.

Hope you have a great cruise Zeno. We're looking at the Sun out of Nola for next year.

-Monte

Archived