Noordam Naming Ceremony

JimandStan

It just occurred to me that, at the NYC Ocean Liner Terminal, the passengers "on the dock" wont have ANY VIEW of the Noordams naming ceremony!

The Embarcation Hall is approximately 40 feet above sea (or, river) level. The Hall has large glass windows from which you can see the superstructure, but not the hull of the ship that you are boarding.

Are the passengers who are sailing on the Inaugural intended to watch from the foredeck of the Noordam?

Or, will we need to request tickets for some sort of pierside Grandstand?

If they try to tell us to watch it in our cabins via closed circuit TV, I shall run amuck!

Perhaps Shipcafe will come to our rescue?

HELP!

Not much help to you, I know, but the Zaandam has a collage of photos from her 2000 christening ceremony (I believe in Ft. Lauderdale). Besides the festivities on shore, it shows numerous passengers standing on the Lower Promenade deck at the railing watching the ceremony from the ship itself. Hopefuly, they'll allow you and your fellow pax to do the same! Good luck to you!

This is just a guess and I absolutely could be wrong so I want to offer that disclaimer right up front. But I have a feeling this will be an event heavily laden with invited guests who are not necessarily on the voyage.

There will be many people there who are only there for the ceremony and will then disembark.

So I have a feeling that not all passengers will be able to see the "naming". If any are welcome, who knows how they will be selected. First come, first served?

One of you should call HAL and inquire to see if you're going to be able to attend.

Introduction events traditionally always take place days before the ship actually sets sail for her first voyage. Such is also the case for Noordam. Perhaps HAL will have a webcast of the ceremony as NCL recently did in NCL and the video that was composed for the new introduction of the Ryndam post-SOE?

Perhaps HAL will have a webcast of the ceremony as NCL recently did in NCL and the video that was composed for the new introduction of the Ryndam post-SOE?

I received an Email from HAL indicating that they will do that.

Yes, Captain Scott is the 'take-out' Captain.

Spot on..... he is there for about the first four cruises and then Captain Mateboer takes over when Scott goes on leave.

I think the ship will be in good hands.:)

Things must be busy on board right now. 22 days to go before she leaves the yard and the official delivery to HAL is on the 31st.

Stephen

Glad to hear Jon Scott is taking NOORDAM out. We had the pleasure of dining at his first captain's table on VEENDAM when Susan was his girlfriend. They make a fun couple.

And Hans Matebor's book is a must-read for all HAL Mariners. We swear we know half the people he writes about. Read it in one sitting and howled with laughter many times.

It is possible, the naming ceremony could take place in Brooklyn. Several lines have used the piers for such events because they're better photo settings.

At any rate, while I'll be in the Caribbean during the festivities, those who plan on going should dress very warmly. A hellish wind from Canada roars down the North River in the winter.

We have a copy at the office, I'll check out the arcticle and let you know

It might well be NOORDAM.... photo taken during the 'real' christening of the ship on 2nd April or on her float out from the building dock on 9th April 2005.

When the ship is ready to commence her first cruise HAL will hold the naming and dedication ceremony but the actual christening was carried out months before.... in the traditional way.

Stephen

Stephen.....would you share with us what 'real christening' traditional way is?

S7S--

You remember seeing the old newsreels of dignitaries at some shipyard making endless speeches culminated by a Queen or President's wife saying something very wise and to the point as she presses a button releasing a bottle of champagne that smashes against the bow which causes bands to play and the ship to slide backwards down the ways into the water causing a great wave that soaks hundreds of observers on the shores???

(deep breath)

Well replace "...the ship to slide backwards..." etc. with "...releases water into the drydock so that the hull touches water for the first time" - that's what a traditional christening ceremony is...

...I just didn't know that they had them anymore.

:) :) :) Thanks Brian.

I have a very vivid image now. So.....they break champagne against the ship twice? Once at the traditional, real christening and again at the Naming and Dedication Ceremony?

As Always, You're quite welcome

:D

So.....they break champagne against the ship twice? Once at the traditional, real christening and again at the Naming and Dedication Ceremony?

I guess so...

...tho it seems a waste of perfectly good bubbly to me!

:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas

So.....they break champagne against the ship twice? Once at the traditional, real christening and again at the Naming and Dedication Ceremony?

I guess so...

...tho it seems a waste of perfectly good bubbly to me!

:(__________________

Brian

Now really, Brian. I doubt very much that they use the good bubbly.

Now really, Brian. I doubt very much that they use the good bubbly.

Ruth--

I can't imagine them using a bottle of Korbel...

...that would be like sending your true love a HERSHEY Bar and Dandelions on Valentine's Day!

Archived