First-Timer's Valor Review (25 June - 2 July) Fairly Long-Winded

centerpoint

We stayed Friday night and Saturday morning in Key West. On Saturday morning, we hired out “Dream Catcher’s” for a morning of seeing wild dolphins, a visit to the off-shore mangrove forest, and some snorkeling out on the reef. It was an amazing trip. We hired out the whole boat to ourselves for $450 – not bad if you compare that to the cost of an equivalent Carnival excursion.

Now to the “cruise” related stuff. We stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn – Port of Miami. It filled all the necessary requirements, and it was very convenient, being so close to the port. However, there are no extras. I spent the entire night doing plumbing repair, because the toilet would clog even when someone just peed – and there were five of us. The next morning at the desk, I told them I charge $40 an hour for plumbing work. They didn’t seem to “get” my joke, nor did they seem to concerned about the problem. Don’t expect any special treatment, and do expect a very large bill for the morning buffet before your cruise.

When we got to the terminal, the porters were very friendly – and there was no hint of anyone suggesting they’d “lose” your luggage if you didn’t tip. Having said that, I still followed what folks here have been saying – “a dollar a bag” for the tip.

There was only one hiccup in the embarkation process. Right in the middle of it, their system crashed, and we had to stand in a line with no progress for about 45 minutes. It was a hassle, but other than that, we couldn’t have gotten on the boat any faster. It seems like they have the process pretty streamlined.

We found our rooms and then found some lunch as Rosie’s. I was stunned at the buffet line. My wife will never live up to my new culinary expectations!

Later that night, our kids (14 & 10) went to their Camp Carnival orientation. I should have known when we had to miss our first dining room (we had late seating) to get to the meetings that it wasn’t going to work that well. Most of the events my youngest kid wanted to go to took place during our dinner time, so it was a waste signing him up. He never went to any of it – but would have had we not been at dinner. My 14 year-old daughter went to the first couple of events for her age group, but they were poorly attended, so she didn’t go anymore either. Here’s my opinion on the matter: if you want your kids to enjoy Camp Carnival’s good evening activities, sign up for dinner at the early seating, or they’ll miss most of the good stuff. Now let me say this: my kids had a wonderful time on the cruise, and missing Camp Carnival’s activities didn’t mess that up.

Now my older son (17) was constantly at Club o2. We had to remind him all the time to be on time for dinner, back in the room in time, and to stay in contact with us. He had a great time with o2.

During our first “at sea” day, we just kicked back and relaxed. It was great. Also, I got to meet some of my fellow cruise-critic compadres. We made it to the dining room that night, and I must say it was excellent. We had Washington (lower) table 425. Elizabeth and Winston took very good care of us all week, and we enjoyed the food very much.

My wife and I went to Scarlett’s (the exclusive supper club) on one night, and we spent the time wishing we were in the dining room. My personal opinion is that the experience wasn’t as good – the food was excellent, but everything was a little too formal for my taste. I guess it’s just a individual preference, but the atmosphere just seemed too quiet in there. Also, I was a little baffled by the $30/person charge, but still being charged for a cup full of ice with a little diet Coke in it. Later, we heard someone compliment Scarlett’s for the same reason I criticize it: it was much more quiet and reserved, and that’s what HE liked.

On our first port day, we tendered into Grand Cayman. We had booked on-line the half-day excursion with Captain Marvin’s. Once on-shore, the place was easy to find. On the way to the boat, our bus driver gave a good narrative of the places we were passing. The boat is not brand-new, but is in good condition. The crew was friendly and engaging. We went to two different snorkeling stops – the reef and the coral gardens. These were excellent stops; very memorable. After that, we went out to the stingray sandbar, and it was an amazing experience. Kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I would highly recommend this kind of trip with whichever excursion group you choose.

Here’s a sidenote: don’t try to use the spray sunscreen while the boat is in motion. After we got back from the excursion, I had several white circles on my back where the sunscreen actually hit – and these were surrounded by a beautiful field of pink skin! (Not too bad – a pretty mild burn that didn’t affect the trip.)

Our second port day was at Isla Roatan, Honduras. We had engaged Victor Bodden’s driver, Henry. He was good to us all day. He showed us some shipwrecks on the way to Sherman Arch’s Iguana Farm. Pretty amazing there. They’re all over the place. Down at his docks, he had some tarpins, turtles, and lobsters penned in shallow water for us to observe and feed. After that, we went to the zip-lines, and after a somewhat annoying wait, we were in the trees. This was an excellent experience, and well worth the wait. However, the ship’s excursion says this is “moderate” activity. I assure you that when you are done, you will not agree. I’m in fairly decent shape, and I was exhausted! After that, we went over to the orphanage to visit and drop off donations. We were very impressed with the program over there, as well as the upkeep and condition of the facilities. For any that have a heart toward these things, it is well worth the stop.

On our third port day, we tendered into Belize City. We had selected the Carnival excursion to Xunantunich because it was so long and far away. We just didn’t want to take any chances of being late. We were the absolute first group off the ship. We found out the correct pronunciation: “shoe-NAN-tune-itch,” with the accent on “nan.” All the way out, our guide gave a very interesting narrative on her country. Overall, it was an excellent excursion. Historically speaking, it is probably the most significant visit we’ve made. On the way back, we stopped at Windy Hill resort and enjoyed a very good lunch. We made it back to the pier with a little time left for shopping, but not much.

On our fourth and last port, we docked at Costa Maya. We had excursions booked at noon, so in the morning, we headed out to Mahahual for a little shopping. Since we were among the first tourists there, the vendors were all over us, but I’m normally pretty good at handling that. Folks, don’t pay asking price for anything! Start at least half of what they’re asking and work from there.

My wife and youngest son did the Carnival Dolphin Encounter excursion. They had a great time with it. Thanks for advance notice about photos – you cannot take your own, but theirs is available for $20 each. I and my oldest two, 17 and 14, went on the catamaran sail and snorkel. We had a great time there. Once again, the crew was very friendly, and took good care of us. Drinks on the boat were free: water, soda, or local beer. I’m not a drinker, but it was good to get a diet coke – the first I’d had since leaving Miami!

I need to point this out: because of the criticisms I’d seen on this board about Uvero beach, we chose catamaran sail and snorkel instead, even though we’d wanted to go there and swim and use the kayaks at the beach. But my wife (dolphin excursion at Uvero beach) said these criticisms were almost completely unfounded in this case. She said the only criticism she did have was that the bathrooms were “marginal.” Also, you have to put up with the drunks on the bus back to the pier. There’s always a few who cross the line. Just a part of life with these things I guess.

Let me make this point: you have to drink a lot of coke for the coke card to be worth it. My wife got one, and by the end of the trip, she was sucking down diet cokes so that it would be worth the price! As for me and my family, we loved the fruit punch and lemonade – for free!

By our last “at sea” day, my wife and I were already planning our next trip! We enjoyed all aspects of the trip, except for embarkation and debarkation. We experienced much, but not all, of the experiences available. We went to almost all the shows, and had a good time with the comedians, but an especially good time with the shows where the Carnival dancers and singers were featured.

On debarkation, they encourage you to “self-debark,” saying it’s so much easier. Easier for who? Not for me! It’s easier for them! In any case, we self debarked (family of five – dad (me) carries most of the heavy stuff). I couldn’t have gotten a better workout in the weight room! So if you’re not in a hurry (and we weren’t – we flew out of Miami on Monday), let them carry your bags! Anyway, nothing is ever perfect, and it is an unreasonable person who expects it, but the Valor was a perfect vacation for my family. If anyone has any specific questions, I can try to answer them!

Thanks for the review. I'll be on that same itinerary on July 9 so your review really got me excited. Thanks for all the detail on the shore excursions. I was planning on booking the dolphin encounter at Costa Maya so thanks for all your photo, etc. info on it and Uvero beach.

One of the kids in our group was only partly looking forward to Camp Carnival so I'm sure she'll be pleased to hear it's not required to have fun.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for a great review. It brought back such good memories. :)

I laughed (sorry) at the hint about the spray sunblock. I would have done the same thing, because I am taking spray as well. Thanks for the warning. :eek:

Another good hint is the early seating for people with kids that want to go to Camp Carnival. When I take one of my grandsons, I will be sure to eat early. I would not have thought about that since I have never taken them on CCL, only Disney. Thanks.

Thanks for a great review..Im so glad you had a wonderful vacation.

Ill be on the Valor this coming Sunday, July 9. weeeeeeeeeeeeee I cant wait.

I chose this ship for the Western Caribbean itinerary. Normally I would just saild out of New York City and not have to fly, but this attracted me.

Did you go to the Legends show? I heard they choose guests to sing. Who did they imitate? What singers? Tell me a bit about it. Thanks. As a profl Singer this will be fun for me.

I promised myself I start packing today:rolleyes: The clock is counting down.

Thanks again:)

Only a couple of months til our Valor trip (altho we will be doing Eastern). Sounds like you had a great time and are now an official cruise addict.

As for the dinner plans - we cruised the Victory in January with our 7 yr old. He LOVED Camp Carnival and knew he would have a hard time sitting thru dinner. So we would usually feed him early ourselves (buffet, pizza or room service) or bring him to CC and THEY take the kids to the buffet.

We had late seating so this worked out great. We would drop him off either for dinner or after we fed him. This gave us an hour or so to shower and get ready for dinner (we have first late seating) ....and we were able to eat with the ADULTS! :D :D (and not worry about him). We generally picked him up after dinner to come see the show with us - but half the time he wanted to stay and play some more! (after 10 pm $6 per hr charge which is well worth it).

We did bring him to dinner with us on the last night - he thought it was a special treat and of course the waitstaff treated him like royalty. He is now itching to go on another cruise (and so are we of course!).

Frouf

Only a couple of months til our Valor trip (altho we will be doing Eastern). Sounds like you had a great time and are now an official cruise addict.

As for the dinner plans - we cruised the Victory in January with our 7 yr old. He LOVED Camp Carnival and knew he would have a hard time sitting thru dinner. So we would usually feed him early ourselves (buffet, pizza or room service) or bring him to CC and THEY take the kids to the buffet.

We had late seating so this worked out great. We would drop him off either for dinner or after we fed him. This gave us an hour or so to shower and get ready for dinner....and we were able to eat with the ADULTS! :D :D (and not worry about him). We generally picked him up after dinner to come see the show with us - but half the time he wanted to stay and play some more! (after 10 pm $6 per hr charge which is well worth it).

We did bring him to dinner with us on the last night - he thought it was a special treat and of course the waitstaff treated him like royalty. He is now itching to go on another cruise (and so are we of course!).

Frouf

Did you go to the Legends show? I heard they choose guests to sing. Who did they imitate? What singers? Tell me a bit about it. Thanks. As a profl Singer this will be fun for me.

Yes, we went. I'll try to remember:

• Tina Turner
  • Gloria Estefan
  • Elton John
  • James Brown
  • Frank Sinatra
  • Madonna
  • Britney Spears
  • Sonny and Cher

There were others, but I can't remember them...

Thanks for the great review!

My 17 year old DS is concerned about finding activites on the ship (Triumph, August 12) -- can you give some examples of the activities your 17 year old DS enjoyed and participated in at the O2??

Thanks

Yes...let him go to the "meet & greet" on the first night. That sets the stage. There were a few different activities such as dance nights, game nights, etc. A lot of the time, he just got together with his new friends and played cards. Also, there was the requisite "girl-chasing" that each 17 year-old boy has to do.

I laughed (sorry) at the hint about the spray sunblock. I would have done the same thing, because I am taking spray as well. Thanks for the warning.

I've got a pretty good picture of it, too...if I can figure out how to post it! The spray works, just do it in an area that wind won't blow half of it away before it hits you!

Thanks for the review, I love reading them. We'll be on the Valor July 16th. I can't wait :) Do you know if they have those mini bar/refrigerators in the rooms? I know most Princess ships I was on did, but I can't remember if Carnival does or not?

Thanks

Centerpoint..Thanks for the answers on the Legends show.. Did they have Celine Dion? or Bette Midler?

We have 2 meet & greets for the July 9 sailing. This should be alot of fun. Some of us are on the same excursions together.

Im so grateful to these boards. Nothing like being totally educated and you get to meet the coolest people as well.

Pretty simple really...just get your driver to call ahead and reserve you a place in line - otherwise you will wait a long time.

You wear a harness that has two clips to attach to the cable pulley. On the one we went to, there were thirteen cables, six bridges, and a wall climb. It was great!

Every three people have a guide to give instructions and keep you safe the whole way through. Tip this man at the end!

The experience was a lot of fun - flying through the treetops. Some were long and fast, others were short, some were slower. For a beginner like me, it was fun and challenging.

Great review centerpoint! We were on the ship with you and had a great time.... did you and your younger son come to the meet and greet? If that was you it was nice meeting you!

I won't have time to post a review for a while, but I did add some pictures and info on the Costa Maya thread about getting to the Chac-Chi resort.

For future Valor cruisers she is a great ship, we had great service everywhere we went, and the food was very good. If you are staying on deck 6 (upper) in the aft area you might notice some marks on the carpet. Those will be our fingernail marks as they had to drag us off the ship on Sunday ;).

John

Archived