Wine (Box)

Kcarp

I do not normally drink boxed wine, but I did pack a box in my checked suitcase for my Vision of the Seas cruise last year. I knew I would go through more than one bottle of wine and didn't want to have to worry about breakage. I also chose white wine so that in case it did leak it wouldn't stain my clothes. I don't recall what brand I bought, something inexpensive. I still bought a glass of nice wine at dinner, but I enjoyed having a pre and/or post dinner glass in the cabin.

We have done this too. Not a bad idea at all because:

• Weighs less due to no glass
  • Unbreakable
  • Bladder collapses as it is used, preventing oxidation (affects taste)
  • Spigot on the side very convenient, set on counter and it is always ready
  • You can giftwrap it if you are paranoid about the "no alcohol" policy

I don't follow you?

I think Salt means if you don't want folks seeing the box - because it's not 'fine wine'.:D

On another note - Actually, I read a coupla posts that wrapped gifts, if seen, will have to be opened to make sure there's no contraband inside.

I think Salt means if you don't want folks seeing the box - because it's not 'fine wine'.:D

On another note - Actually, I read a coupla posts that wrapped gifts, if seen, will have to be opened to make sure there's no contraband inside.

Correct. You can not bring wrapped gifts aboard. If you want your wine taken away, then wrap it.:D

I pack this, because it fits well in a suitcase, doesn't break, and doesn't go bad or lose flavor during the cruise.

In general the 3 liter sizes will be better quality than the 5 liter sizes.

Some to recommend:

Black Box

Corbett Canyon

Bliss

Delicato

Hardys Stamp of Australia

CJW;)

Our local Albertsons is closing and has wine on sale. Anyway, for a recent camping trip, I bought a box of Voyage Cabernet. It was actually not bad. I've tried some of the others and liked this one the best. The Fish Eye Shiraz is not too bad either.

Trish

I packed the 3-litre box on my last cruise and it was great. I would buy a glass of wine at dinner and then go back to my cabin a few times during the evening for a refill. It was also nice to have a glass before dinner out on the balcony. I'm partial to red wine and think the Hardy's Shiraz is great.

I just found out recently that the Valor cruise we're on in December is the Presidential Wine Cruise.......... I doubt there will be any box wine tastings!! :rolleyes: (shhh.....don't tell Uncle Bob)

I didn't know they sold wine in boxes. Will they fit in the fridge on the Conquest? :confused: We like our wine chilled.;)

The beauty of "box wine" is that the wine is in a bag with a spout inside the box. You don't actually need the box, just bring the wine. If you bring the wine in the box, discard the box and the wine fits nicely in the fridge.

Do you drink it room temp?

I do like mine at room temp so I kept it in the box and left it on the counter in the room. (I do it that way at home too now that I've found a box wine that I really like). That's a great idea to take the pouch out of the box to put in the fridge (if you have one) if you like it chilled.

I brought a box of wine on our last cruise, and I bought a box of Margaritas (alcohol included) at Beverages & More. They also have little cans of good champagne -- you get 4 of them in a box. They even came with their own little straws!!! :p And, Bailey's come in little plastic-type cans. I canvassed grocery stores and found the best selection at BevMo. I packed vodka, gin, & rum in plastic water bottles that I just drained the water out of. Put all this in my checked luggage.

Even with all of this, we still had the drink of the day, wine at dinner, a drink in the theatre, and never missed a day at the Martini Bar! They certainly didn't lose any money on us!:rolleyes:

Correct. You can not bring wrapped gifts aboard. If you want your wine taken away, then wrap it.:D

I must have missed that rule. Guess they are not apt to take wine away, regardless. Guess I will have to resort to hiding the liquor in the beach towels again! :cool:

Do you drink it room temp?

Red wines should be served at room temp.

White wines should be chilled.

A matter of personal preference, I'm sure, but those are the recommendations of vintners.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Took a couple of boxes on Carnival to Alaska, Princess to Alaska and one box on QM2. No problem anywhere. Put in fridge to keep cold. One of the fridges was really small. We just kept refilling the bottle our kids bought us that was in the room.

By the way, we still had a strong bar bill, buying wine at every dinner, and drinks at bar.

About to go on NCL this fall. The have **** cops looking for booze that they take, and wine they get $15 corkage for. Hoping that the box wine gets through okay. Any ideas or suggestions for getting box wine aboard and through the xray?

So, a margarita in a box is okay to bring? It says wine we can bring. Do they actually look at the box? or just figure it is wine in a box? I was thinking about bringing the Margarita's in a box because I've gotta have my Margarita's in the summer.

I never seen this before, where do they sell margarita in a box?

In a previous post IrisTatoo said she brought the Margaritas in a box she got at Beverages and More. She lives in Cali so maybe that's a local chain of stores, we don't have them on the East Coast that I've seen.

You will want to pack anything other than wine in your checked luggage that you leave with the dock workers. It is very likely to be confiscated if you try to take a box of margarita mix in a box as a carry on.

We have a wine in our local liquor stores that comes in a small upright paper container with a screw cap, I believe it's Vonage or Vernage. I've seen it in the grocery stores in Florida too. It is three glasses of wine and would easily fit in a fridge or cooler, the packaging is sturdy enough to be packed in a suitcase.

Ms B

Archived