Belfast, Northern Ireland

Kaylas Mom

I just wanted to say that I am an American living and working in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I work here at the US Consulate and am an avid cruiser and cruisecritic'er. Seeing the Grand Princess arriving yesterday made me realize I should offer my help to any of you who are going to lucky enough to stop here during your cruises. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask.

Cathy

The Giant's Causeway is just awesome and the coast getting there is superb. You can get there easily on your own with a rental car (but you're driving on the wrong side) so I would be tempted to go with the ships tour or another local tour. Allow 2 hrs. up, 1 hr. there and you can come back in 1 hr. driving the less-scenic but quicker inland route.

Hopefully that would still give you time for a uick tour of Belfast, particularly some of the famed "troubled" areas. Or, you could have a look at the dock where the Toitanic was built. or a drink at the pub...

You'll have a great time....let me know if you need more details.

I know absolutely nothing about this port...so every bit of help is much appreciated...

The Celebrity website shows the following excursions:

Londonderry with Lunch & Countryside --- 8 Hours --- $110.00

Giant's Causeway & Antrim Coast --- 9 Hours --- $110.00

Giant's Causeway --- 6 Hours --- $70.00

Ards Peninsular Scenic Drive (Strangford Lough, Donaghadee) --- 4 Hours 15 Minutes --- $59.00

Mount Stewart House & Gardens --- 4 Hours --- $59.00

A Taste of 19th Century Northern Ireland (Ulster Folk Museum)--- 3 Hours 30 Minutes --- $69.00

Belfast Walking Tour, City Hall & Pub Visit --- 3 Hours 15 Minutes --- $59.00

Belfast - Past, Present & Future (Waterfront Hall, The Murals, Shipyard of Harland & Wolff, Parliament Building of Stormont)--- 3 Hours 15 Minutes --- $42.00

Leisurely Belfast & Panoramic Highlights (Waterfront Hall, Botanic Garden, Queen's University, Shipyard of Harland & Wolff, Parliament Building of Stormont)--- 3 Hours 15 Minutes --- $42.00

It's still early and , obvious, subject to change...but the full day tour to Londonderry sounds the most intriguing to me...But, what do I know? Since you are there, Cathy, please tell me what you think...

Or...should we eschew the ship offered excursions completely and do something else on our own?

Thanks...

Our family joined about 40 other Cruise Critic members on the Jewel for a private tour here in June. We used the following company in Belfast:

http://www.minicoachni.co.uk

Their rates are quite reasonable, especially in comparison to the ship's tours. We paid about $35 per person for a full day tour. The company is reliable as well and accommodated our many changes, including the number of passengers to changing our tour time, since our ship changed its port arrival time. Our driver was Alan and he was excellent. Normally, the full day tour will take you to Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, Dunluce Castle photo stop, and Bushmill's Distillery. We also stopped for a small meal at a quaint, non-touristy pub. The ride along the coast is another wonderful feature to this tour.

The Giant's Causeway is spectacular, very unique and picturesque. Unfortunately, we arrived at the rope bridge in the evening and it was closed so all we could do was walk up to it. Most of us wanted the opportunity to walk across it as it seemed quite tantalizing. This is also a picturesque site. We were also unable to tour the distillery since it was closed in the evening. If your ship arrives in the morning, you can easily visit all three sites in one day.

Though I can't speak for the city of Belfast since we only rode through it, some that we did speak to who had spent the day in the city said they'd wished they had traveled up the coast as we had done.

Hope this helps:)

Why do you choose Londonerry (Sp?).

...Because I'm a sucker for medeival walled cities...

Londonderry is the only city in Britain with it's medeival walls still intact...as are its original four city gates...

The Giant's Causeway sounds interesting and scenic...but it also sounds like the same exact geological phenomenon we have here in California in the "Devil's Postpiles" near Mammoth...

And, we're more interested in culture and history than in scenery...

I couldn't agree more with Psygist. Probably because we were on the same bus. :) It is a very easy company to work with and a very nice tour. The area is very beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed the various sites. Sure wish we could have had more time there. Had this tour not been able to be done, I would probably have done Londonderry rather than Belfast, since I like unique towns and walled cities qualify. We have some pictures of the tour on our website www.thepreismans.com and a bunch more at our Ofoto album that is linked to the site at the end of the British Isles/Norwegian Fjords review.

• 5 months later...

I am sorry I have been missing in action -- we have had major computer problems!!!! Sorry and I owe you all answers!

I think there are two things REALLY worth seeing in Northern Ireland. the Giant's Causeway and a tour of the troubled areas of Belfast. Obviosuly, they are completely different. If you are doing the Causewway on your own, allow about 3-4 hours to drive up and back with at hour there, so at least 5. It's so beautiful and also very interesting. It's an easy drive, but there are a couple of places you might get lost (you have to make turns through some towns and the signs are not exactly clear.) So, I would be tempted to take a tour if one is available.

A good tour of Belfast's sights takes only an hour.

All the mentioned companies seem reputable. The nice thing about a local driver will be the "craic" or "crack." Don't worry -- that's not a drug reference. "Craic" is irish for good conversation.

So, Cathy, do you NOT recommend Londonderry? If so, why not?

My wife just read through all of the offered excursions and Londonderry sounded the most interesting to her as well...

Of course, we've all been fooled by well written travel brochure descriptions before...Is this just a case of that phenomena? Please let me know your thoughts on Londonderry. Thanks...

We were in Belfast in September on the Constellation. Wow, it was tremendous. The transportation to the city from the ship was free and the drivers were the most wonderful I have ever seen. One driver stopped a bus and picked us up as we were walking back to the ship, he remembered us from the morning !

We did not take a tour but instead decided to do this city on own own. We picked up a tour bus in the downtown for about $10. They took us all over, including the areas of the "troubles" and we saw all the murals. It is something everyone should see. We got to see many of the bombed out areas and also those areas which were being revitalized.

I can not say enough good things about the residents. we have been forunate enough to travel to many places where you are made to feel welcome, but you know it is really the money they want. The people of Belfast were not like that at all. They were truly and genuinely thankful for us being there. We enjoyed time in several pubs and spoke with the locals at each. We were really the entertainment at these places and answered many questions about the US.

I would go back in a heartbeat. Also, seeing where the Titanic was built and lauched was a bit eery considering we were getting on a cruise ship :0 Still, I would not trade that day for anything.

We did not go to Giant's Causeway but those who did said it was tremendous. The only downside was that most did not have time to see the city. We hope to go there "on the next trip" :)

Regarding the rope bridge........some of our friends did this in conjunction with the tour they took. They said that they were ready to be contestants on "fear factor" upon their return. I think they went to a distillery immediately following, where they spent quite a bit of time !

• 3 weeks later...

Kaylas mom,

We (wife and self)

are planning an October trip to Ireland and would appreciate any info you could provide. As of now I am looking at some packages from Virgin but am just getting started on researching . We would like to visit London, Ireland and Scotland for around a 10 day trip. If you would rather you can email privately my address is mcdonnellrandb@cavtel.net.

Thanks, Randy

The all day tour of Londonderry was one of the highlights of our Crystal cruise to the British Isles in August 2002. The tour guide was fantastic. I presume all the various cruise lines use the same tour groups. First we went to some Iron Age ruins and the county courthouse where we saw a docudrama and had scones. After we crossed the bridge into Londonderry, we walked around the walled portion of the city and saw the Town Hall as well as the murals of the troubles. We visited other parts of the area and had lunch at a lovely hotel restaurant.

If dramatic natural scenery is your thing, The Giant's Causeway is great,but it really is quite a trip from Belfast. If it is not or political history is more to your taste then a tour of the troubled areas of Belfast (or if you have time Londonderry/Derry) will perhaps be more practical.

Unfortunately when I visit Northern Ireland I have certain restrictions due to my host's occupation but I am due to go again later this month ( March 2005) and if possible I will answer any queries.

Nick.

• 1 month later...

Dear Cathy,

I will be in Belfast this summer and plan on renting a car. We will be arriving via Princess Cruise Ship. Where is the closest place to rent a car? the city? the belfast airport? or the int'l airport? We are limited on time and want to make the reservations from home.

Regards,

Damina

Archived