Weapon Storage Policy

My fiance (who is law enforcement) and I will be driving to FL from MO. Since we will be on the road (vs flying), he will be carrying his weapon. Does anyone know what the procedures are for checking in a wepon before boarding onto a cruise? He just dosen't feel comfortable leaving it in a rental car, while we are cruising....and needless to say, we know he will not be able to carry during the cruise. We are just trying to find out how, or will they secure it for us? Our only other thought is to see if a local police department will secure it for us as a courtsey. Thank you!!

I am in Law Enforcement. Tell him to leave the weapon home. They will not store his weapon on board. No if's and's or butt's about it. My weapon and I have a special relationship, but I don't try to bring it on cruise ships. That's a big no no. And on top of that, whatever agency he works for will not allow his weapon to leave the United States.

Thanks for the replies...as stated, he's not trying himself to carry the weapon onto the cruise ship, just seeing if they can secure it the duration of the cruise. I mean really, it's a no-brainer that a cruise is no place for a weapon! However, he does want to bring it for safe travel to the port. And yes, he will be out of his jursidiction, however, that doesn't matter if you are law enforcement, if you are wearing your badge, you can wear your weapon....except of course for a variety of restrictions such as private property, federal buildings, theme parks, CRUISES, etc. (common sense). You can also carry non-law enforcement through most states with a concealed carry permit, but you have to check each states laws, though most are carry-friendly.

I will call RCI directly with this question, since most people will probably want to state their personal opinion, verses actual policy. Thank you. :)

I know that under Federal law (HR215) he is permitted to carry anywhere in the US, I wouldn't carry in this particular case, but if he is determined to carry I would contact the local law enforcement closest to the port.

Thanks for the replies...as stated, he's not trying himself to carry the weapon onto the cruise ship, just seeing if they can secure it the duration of the cruise. I mean really, it's a no-brainer that a cruise is no place for a weapon! However, he does want to bring it for safe travel to the port. And yes, he will be out of his jursidiction, however, that doesn't matter if you are law enforcement, if you are wearing your badge, you can wear your weapon....except of course for a variety of restrictions such as private property, federal buildings, theme parks, CRUISES, etc. (common sense). You can also carry non-law enforcement through most states with a concealed carry permit, but you have to check each states laws, though most are carry-friendly.

I will call RCI directly with this question, since most people will probably want to state their personal opinion, verses actual policy. Thank you. :)

I don't think having a badge will get you any special privileges off US soil. In fact, in some parts of the world, it could get him killed. US law enforcement, to my knowledge, is not recognized as The Law anywhere else.

Why bring the weapon?? He's off duty.

I've asked that question before directly to Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean will not secure his weapon under any circumstances. That is their policy. They don't want the responsibility. FYI, theme parks, cruise ships all come under private property.

I don't think having a badge will get you any special privileges off US soil. In fact, in some parts of the world, it could get him killed. US law enforcement, to my knowledge, is not recognized as The Law anywhere else.

Why bring the weapon?? He's off duty.

I don't bring any law enforcement items when I leave the United States. No badges, Identification cards and not even a tee shirt with a logo on it. No reason for anyone to know.

My husband is federal law inforcement (dhs/cbp), and is required to carry his weapon MOST of the time He is allowed to carry his weapon on an airplane, but a cruise ship is another matter. As a matter of fact, when we cruise next year, he will be at a conference before we cruise and needs to meet us in Florida before we board. He will be flying all the way home instead of flying from his conference directly to Florida simply because he needs to come home to put his weapon away. No choice in the matter.

Thank you all for your comments. I called RCI, and they will store a weapon, however, with all the international laws, hoops to jump, documents to fill out (probably in triplicate! :rolleyes:), etc, it would be more trouble than it's worth. Afterwards, I spoke with the local Sheriff's department. They will store the weapon for us for the duration of the cruise as a professional courtsey. :) Problem solved! Jakenashleymom, you might want to have your hubby look into that as an alternative, so he won't have to make a special trip home simply to store his weapon. :)

My dh had his weapon in our car when we drove from Sarasota to Ft. Lauderdale. He has a CWP and we were going to leave it in the car. He told them it was in the car when we got to the gate...NO WAY WERE THEY GOING TO EVEN LET US PARK IN THE LOT WITH THE GUN IN THE CAR! Leave it at home. We had to call a relative to hold the gun until we got back.

I am glad I feel no need to take a gun with me everywhere I go.

It's fine that he feels that way, and it is totally up to him. It is also kind that the local sheriffs office is storing it for him. Glad you guys got that worked out.

But to travel with a gun...is that what this world is really coming to? :rolleyes::eek:

My dh had his weapon in our car when we drove from Sarasota to Ft. Lauderdale. He has a CWP and we were going to leave it in the car. He told them it was in the car when we got to the gate...NO WAY WERE THEY GOING TO EVEN LET US PARK IN THE LOT WITH THE GUN IN THE CAR! Leave it at home. We had to call a relative to hold the gun until we got back.

Leaving a weapon in the car is never a smart move. Besides the fact that it is just a stupid idea, god forbid anything happens you are leaving yourself open to possible criminal and civil charges.

My fiance (who is law enforcement) and I will be driving to FL from MO. Since we will be on the road (vs flying), he will be carrying his weapon. Does anyone know what the procedures are for checking in a wepon before boarding onto a cruise? He just dosen't feel comfortable leaving it in a rental car, while we are cruising....and needless to say, we know he will not be able to carry during the cruise. We are just trying to find out how, or will they secure it for us? Our only other thought is to see if a local police department will secure it for us as a courtsey. Thank you!!

Why not just leave it at home. You won't need it...

My brother has been in law enforcement for 32 years and never takes his weapon on vacation.......

Thank you all for your comments. I called RCI, and they will store a weapon, however, with all the international laws, hoops to jump, documents to fill out (probably in triplicate! :rolleyes:), etc, it would be more trouble than it's worth. Afterwards, I spoke with the local Sheriff's department. They will store the weapon for us for the duration of the cruise as a professional courtsey. :) Problem solved! Jakenashleymom, you might want to have your hubby look into that as an alternative, so he won't have to make a special trip home simply to store his weapon. :)

Excellent! good idea to call The Locals!!!!

I am glad I feel no need to take a gun with me everywhere I go.

It's fine that he feels that way, and it is totally up to him. It is also kind that the local sheriffs office is storing it for him. Glad you guys got that worked out.

But to travel with a gun...is that what this world is really coming to? :rolleyes::eek:

For a cop, it would probably be normal. For most law abiding citizens that have never been on the business end of a gun, a bit creepy to consider.

All a matter of perspective, I would think.

If this is what you insist on doing I would get something in writing from the local sheriffs dept... you may travel all the way there only to find out whoever "agreed" to store the weapon is either no longer there or was not authorized to make that decsion...

Is the fiance a rookie? My brother is a cop. When he was a rookie he would take his gun everywhere. They were like twins attached at the hip. Now 16 years later the "have to take the gun everywhere" syndrome has weared off.

I agree. What's the purpose of traveling half way across the country with a gun just because you can.

Archived