Weapon Storage Policy

Keggs_Honeymoon,

I am glad you were able to find your answer, but I am a bit embarrassed that the normally fairly helpful folks here on Cruise Critic, for the most part, completely dropped the ball.

Your question was completely legitimate, and deserved a more straightforward answer.

It is unfortunate that in this day and time, yes, a self defense weapon is sometimes all that stands between you and being the subject of a sad newspaper article. Until some government authority, or a well meaning advice-giver can personally guarantee your safety during your travels, you are indeed the only person responsible for it. Many people do not realize that the courts in the US have ruled many times that police officers are in no way responsible for the personal safety of citizens. And that's even if you happen to have one nearby in a time of trouble!

This is obviously not a forum to debate the issue, and that is not my intent.

I just find it ironic that folks will jump in with all kinds of advice on how to break rules such as smuggling of prohibited items on board, but can't find the courtesy to help someone find an answer to a perfectly legal and practical travel situation.

Theron

Thank you, Keggs_Honeymoon for the info. I will pass it on! I think he would probably rather have his weapon in the safe on home turf rather than anyplace else. Since they are responsible for their weapon, and anything that may happen to or with it, better to be safe than sorry. We have found (the hard way!) that its always a pain in the a$$ to carry it, more trouble than its worth!

I'd call the port police where he is going from and ask if they have any facilities that could be used to secure the handgun. That or the county/city law enforcement, surely they could hold it in evidence locker or something.

One reason the ship is a no go zone, its foreign soil so to speak, the laws of the flag nation come into play. If the Bahamas said come one come all with your guns then it would be an RCCL decision alone.

I know Mexico is a bad place to go with a gun, at least if you get caught, which I find interesting since so much of their firearms come across the border from the USA, CA, AZ, NM, and TX...guess the smugglers have a special deal with the law enforcement officers in Mexico. :eek:

Thank you all for your comments. I called RCI, and they will store a weapon, however, with all the international laws, hoops to jump, documents to fill out (probably in triplicate! :rolleyes:), etc, it would be more trouble than it's worth. Afterwards, I spoke with the local Sheriff's department. They will store the weapon for us for the duration of the cruise as a professional courtsey. :) Problem solved! Jakenashleymom, you might want to have your hubby look into that as an alternative, so he won't have to make a special trip home simply to store his weapon. :)

I am in law enforcement in the UK (22 yrs) and don't carry half the equipment I am issued with on duty let alone off (plays havoc with sciatica) .This is impressive stuff, stick with him he might make Captain yet or end up in a gun fight in Fresh & Easy.

Reading this made me consider checking my wife in at the local Sheriffs Dept as a professional courtesy, she is far more lethal than anything I carry at work !

Being from TX and having my concealed handgun license I understand his desire and need to carry on the road. I haven't read all the responses so I apologize if this has been suggested.

I'm in the medical field and had to travel for a seminar and we refuse to travel without a weapon. This semiar was being held on state prison property witch strickly forbids personal weapons. When we got into town we went to the nearest police station and explained the situation, they held our gun and we picked it up after the seminar. Something you might consider. Good luck.

I am in law enforcement in the UK (22 yrs) and don't carry half the equipment I am issued with on duty let alone off (plays havoc with sciatica) .This is impressive stuff, stick with him he might make Captain yet or end up in a gun fight in Fresh & Easy.

Reading this made me consider checking my wife in at the local Sheriffs Dept as a professional courtesy, she is far more lethal than anything I carry at work !

Now that was funny! Thanks for the smile. :D BTW I also live in a country where handguns are illegal for all except law enforcement.

Keggs_Honeymoon,

I am glad you were able to find your answer, but I am a bit embarrassed that the normally fairly helpful folks here on Cruise Critic, for the most part, completely dropped the ball.

Your question was completely legitimate, and deserved a more straightforward answer.

In all fairness, I don't think this is one of these questions one could raise here and expect accurate responses. It's very simple to call Royal Caribbean directly to inquire about their policies.

In all fairness, I don't think this is one of these questions one could raise here and expect accurate responses. It's very simple to call Royal Caribbean directly to inquire about their policies.

Aww... collectively, we know everything about cruising! Which should include getting there! ;)

And indeed, a good answer did come out!

Theron

If you are staying in Florida pre cruise and a weekday post cruise,you could rent a safety deposit box at a bank..just a thought.

I would also ask for a written letter of confirmation from the PD or SO that they will in fact store your weapon for you. Also just a thought, if the weapon is a dept issue, I would check with the dept and make sure it is within their policy for this weapon to be checked in at another facility. Better to cover all the issues just in case. Have a great cruise.

Connie

lol. Very witty and cleverly written. :)

I don't wish to stereotype or anything but with all you law enforcement officers let loose on cruises will there be any donuts left for the rest of us ;)

You don't wish to stereotype anyone, but you will do it anyway.

I guess you don't pay attention very much to what we eat these days. Working in New York City has given us such a diverse arena for culinary choices. The donuts when out the window a long time ago. Maybe some of the Hee Haw county local boys still eat them just to keep up appearance. I have been a croissant man for at least the last decade.

Being from TX and having my concealed handgun license I understand his desire and need to carry on the road. I haven't read all the responses so I apologize if this has been suggested.

I'm in the medical field and had to travel for a seminar and we refuse to travel without a weapon. This semiar was being held on state prison property witch strickly forbids personal weapons. When we got into town we went to the nearest police station and explained the situation, they held our gun and we picked it up after the seminar. Something you might consider. Good luck.

He has a desire, he does not have a need.

Good luck, and some very good (for the most part) suggestions as always from the folks here.

Just one comment and I really don't mean to stir the pot - because what to do with a gun while I'm on vacation is not an issue I've ever thought about.

But, how come when a subject like this one comes along and there has been lots of good suggestions, not so good suggestions and probably one or two plain silly ones - but it has all been quite civil in their responses, someone always feels the need to express outrage that their rights are being attacked.

For the most part - it was the law enforcement members suggesting he should leave it secured at home.

go figure.

I don't wish to stereotype or anything but with all you law enforcement officers let loose on cruises will there be any donuts left for the rest of us

I prefer a good bagel, fresh baked danish or a Philly soft pretzel. Donuts are no longer considered the typical "cop-food"

;)

I prefer a good bagel, fresh baked danish or a Philly soft pretzel. Donuts are no longer considered the typical "cop-food"

;)

You don't put mustard on your soft pretzel do you? Tell me it ain't so............

Im sorry but I cant for the life of me understand the need to carry arms whilst travelling...Is it really that bad in the US nowadays? Im sorry but this does little to promote Visit USA.......

Reading the replies they all seem to say why bring it after all you are on holiday !!...

If you and your partner feel the need to arm yourself (Law enforcement or not) whilst driving from home to the port then fly, its one less thing to worry about....

We do have a gun problem raising its head here in the UK, maybe not on the scale of the 'Rights to bare arms in the US but I dont feel scared having to drive down from Scotland to Southampton....even if I have to pass Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham.........

Asking questions about 'what to do with my boyfriends firearm' is not one that should be posted on CC, people have enough worry in everyday life without the need for these postings.........

You don't wish to stereotype anyone, but you will do it anyway.

I guess you don't pay attention very much to what we eat these days. Working in New York City has given us such a diverse arena for culinary choices. The donuts when out the window a long time ago. Maybe some of the Hee Haw county local boys still eat them just to keep up appearance. I have been a croissant man for at least the last decade.

But it is ok for you to stereotype any officers that aren't from NY.

;)

It can't be true, you guys should get the cop shows that we get over here updated.

Right I'm off for some nice tea and cucumber sandwiches.

But it is ok for you to stereotype any officers that aren't from NY.

Whoops, 66 posts into my CC career and look what I started.

Quick, change subject errm,

So what actually is a Royal Champion?

Archived