Monarch of the Seas - Jade Restaurant

Any reviews? Been on this ship four times and STILL never gone to this restaurant! Figured we better before the ship leaves! Going for our last time in July. How's the sushi? What do they mean by "Asian fusion"? Is there a menu other than sushi? Noticed you can't pre-book like other specialty restaurants -

Thanks in advance!

Average sushi... not a lot of choice ans is upstairs. The Asian dishes are on the lower level and are ok... nothing jumped out as really good...I guess it's a nice difference from the usual Windjammer fare.

We ate at the Jade restaurant 2 nights out of 3 on the Monarch last November. Our table location in the formal dining was miserable, very disappointed in service as well. Our main waiter was just very, very busy with everybody else. It seemed like we were an afterthought. We only ate their the first night. After that our son suggested the 'sushi' restaurant. We've certainly had much nicer sushi, but overall it was perfectly fine. Definitely a step up from the WJ and the DR!

It looked average to me ... the offered free samples in May during the expo on the first day in the Centrum, so you may try that to get a sense if you would like the rolls. Since I've gotten what looked to me to be the same rolls for free on other RCCL and Carnival ships, I have never felt the need to pay a surcharge for the stuff.

i've only been to the "jade area" of the windjammer, never in an actual jade restaurant. as far as my eperince has been, the food is "asian-ish" or "asian-like" but nothing very authetic. the suhsi rolls in the windjammer/ jade were horrible but i loved the make your own miso soup bar, delishous.

If you're Platinum or higher, you can sample their offerings at the Platinum-Diamond reception, too. They used to offer some cooked items, but haven't in the past year or so. I think the sushi ranges from so-so to not very good, rather like what you would find in the supermarket in LA.

If you are a fan of sushi, skip it. It was horrible, as far as sushi goes. Monarch is the only ship where Jade is a separate restaurant and carries a charge. Don't bother. I couldn't even call it sushi.

• 4 months later...

Old thread, I know - but google found it at the top.

For anyone who has had the sushi, will a Floridian who is content with Publix sushi (a decent supermarket chain here) be content with this? I can't imagine they do a very good job on the sushi at the grocery store, but my husband (New Yorker) seems to like it just fine... He said the sushi we got for free on the Sensation was 'just fine' as well.

Old thread, I know - but google found it at the top.

For anyone who has had the sushi, will a Floridian who is content with Publix sushi (a decent supermarket chain here) be content with this? I can't imagine they do a very good job on the sushi at the grocery store, but my husband (New Yorker) seems to like it just fine... He said the sushi we got for free on the Sensation was 'just fine' as well.

Even though we had it on the Freedom I would imagine they use the same suppplier and it was better than Publix, not as great as a good sushi restaurant, but very decent.

I know! I love our publix... I haven't been rude onough to ask yet, but i'm almost positive that the girl who runs our sushi counter is korean, not japanese. Still, I think it's pretty good, for Florida supermarket sushi, anyway. Good to hear I can at least expect that quality or better. Thanls so much!

Is there a charge to eat at Jade Restaurant. Is it a sitdown restaurant or a buffet? I am confused with what I have read. We are sailing on the Monarch Nov 21st and would like to find out more about it. We love Asian food! Does anyone have a menu?

Thanks!

Your confusion is understandable - there are actually two "Jades" on Monarch - one is a part of the Windjammer, located all the way forward on Deck 11. There are some Asian-themed offerings as well as traditional WJ fare.

The other is a separate restaurant on Deck 12, called Jade Sushi. The printed menu consists only of sushi items, which I'm happy to report have gotten better over the past couple of months. I do not know how it compares to Publix, but it compares favorably to Von's (West Coast supermarket).

For some reason, the menu does not include tempura, but it is available, either shrimp or vegetables. Both are actually quite good.

In our last 10 cruises (of 25) on Monarch, we preferred the Windjammer to the main dining room. Jade is especially peaceful, and overall the Windjammer has some wonderful food offerings that you just don't see in the MDR, especially their made to order stir fry or steaks.

Enjoy my ship!:(:)

Jade is especially peaceful, and overall the Windjammer has some wonderful food offerings that you just don't see in the MDR, especially their made to order stir fry or steaks.

Enjoy my ship!:(:)

Stir fry...NOW WE ARE TALKING BABY!!! That is what I always said SOS was missing. I will be taking the first 09 sailing on Monarch....will be fun comparing her against SOS.

Archived