rooms

finny44

hi this will be our first curise and we are trying to pick the best room and location,we want a room with a balcony and were looking at the rooms at the rear of the ship or the very back .Could someone let us know about that room location and maybe the best location to get the most sun

thank you

hi this will be our first curise and we are trying to pick the best room and location,we want a room with a balcony and were looking at the rooms at the rear of the ship or the very back .Could someone let us know about that room location and maybe the best location to get the most sun

thank you

Hi Finny44,

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Which Ship are you cruising on? What itinerary are you cruising to?

The back and front of a ship experience a lot of pitch and motion during rough seas. You are better off trying to book a mid-ship location, this is the most desirable. You should try and take a look at the deck plans for the ship you are sailing and make sure there is not a public room above you, it might be noisy.

It is always best to try and book cabins that are underneath other cabin decks. You mention you are considering cabins at the very back, the aft cabin balconies? That location is very popular. Most balcony cabins will give you good sun either morning or afternoon depending on whether you are on port or starboard side of the ship.

Jonathan

The best thing to do is look at the deck plans and see what is above the cabin you want and what is below the cabin you want. If there is nothing but cabins you picked a good one. If the buffet or pool area (or other public area) is above you, then you might have to deal with some noise.

We pick a deck that is within 1 flight of stairs to where we'll spend MOST of our time...usually the pool deck! I'd rather be somewhere midship that either forward or aft. I prefer the deck right under the pool!

I agree with the previous person. Mid ship for your first cruise to see how you handle the motion of the ship. There will be less motion midship. Also cabins above and below you, there will be less noise than having public areas above or below you.

Consider what type of itinerary you are doing, how many sea days...Assuming you will be going ashore while in port, you won't be spending time on the balcony sunning. If you stay on the ship, whether you get sun may depend on which direction the ship faces when it docks. On a port intensive cruise, such as the Carnival Victory out of san Juan, there are no sea days, so you wouldn't have much sunning time on your balcony. Also, balconies can be partially or fully covered by the balcony above, which also limits sun. You best bet would be to pick your ship and itinerary, then post the question on the board for that ship., i.e., Carnival, RCCL, Princess...EM

Hi

Thanks to everyone who sent me answers to my last question about rooms

What we would like to know now is when to book our trip.We are planning to sail at the end of Jan/10,should we book now or wait for a last minute deal ,some people have told me to book now and some said wait, that i will get a better deal last min.I have also been told that you get upgrades if you book early and that the cruise lines will match other prices Any suggestions?

thanks

Hi

Thanks to everyone who sent me answers to my last question about rooms

What we would like to know now is when to book our trip.We are planning to sail at the end of Jan/10,should we book now or wait for a last minute deal ,some people have told me to book now and some said wait, that i will get a better deal last min.I have also been told that you get upgrades if you book early and that the cruise lines will match other prices Any suggestions?

thanks

If you want a very specific room, I would recommend booking sooner than later to insure that you get what you want. When I book a cruise, I then watch it to see if the price has gone down. If it has, I'll call the TA or cruise line (depending on who I booked with) and ask if my booking applies to the reduced fare. If so, they will change it. Sometimes you see several price drops and other times maybe not. There are some great deals out there right now. Good luck with your booking!:)

I know this is my standard answer for someone who is just started cruising and doesn't know where or what they want but a reputable travel agent will hold your hand through the whole process and offer suggestions as to where you want to be, etc. you can book a specific cabin, especially if you want an aft balcony now. most cruise lines do honor price drops as long as it is not a special sale they have SOMETIMES - not always - to fill the ship because then it usually applies to new bookings only. although i have had instances where the travel agent fights for that and can sometimes even get it.

I agree with the previous person. Mid ship for your first cruise to see how you handle the motion of the ship. There will be less motion midship. Also cabins above and below you, there will be less noise than having public areas above or below you.

I agree with this poster 100% Once you cruise more often, then you can try different locations, but for your first cruise--cabins above and below (but mostly above) and mid ship is the best way to go!

Archived