Conducting test in stateroom temp harmony

Hello everybody,

I was on the Allure along with family members three years ago, all of us with balcony cabins but in different areas of the ship...my daughter, father in law and myself had three rooms mid ship all of us found our stateroom to be too warm to sleep, even with the lowest setting, balcony doors locked and curtains drawn to keep out sunlight, but I mainly speaking about the night time. We found it to get warmer between 2-5am....my other half of the family had forward balcony rooms all said their staterooms were nice and cool, and one had in the aft who said it was always warm never cool during the day time.

I would like to see if being in a certain area and deck of the ship whether there is a difference in temperature in the cabins....I am unsure where the ac units are located on this ship and believe the rooms closest would be coolest, so if you don't mind, can you please tell me which deck you were on and your stateroom number or the location (forward, mid or aft) and if you found the room to be too warm during the night or visa versa. If you were on the Allure and Oasis, since its the same class of ship feel free to join right in...it be nice to know which cabins are coolest and which are not.

Thank you!

I think you will find that your results will vary cruise to cruise. One of the big variables that you cannot control is whether your neighbors have their balcony slider open This affects the ability of nearby staterooms to maintain cooling.

Yes thats true, but on the Allure Bob, I had family around me....staying on that note, we have the first two cabins (we just booked this cruise three weeks ago and wanted cabins next to one another so that we can talk to each other and open the balcony doors so we can sit together) but ended up on deck six as they were the only ones available....so, I would then assume since we are very forward and no other cabins to the right of mine, perhaps that give me a higher chance of having a cooler cabin at night?

I am curious to hear everybody else's experience....

Yes thats true, but on the Allure Bob, I had family around me....staying on that note, we have the first two cabins (we just booked this cruise three weeks ago and wanted cabins next to one another so that we can talk to each other and open the balcony doors so we can sit together) but ended up on deck six as they were the only ones available....so, I would then assume since we are very forward and no other cabins to the right of mine, perhaps that give me a higher chance of having a cooler cabin at night?

I am curious to hear everybody else's experience....

Hopefully our resident Chief Engineer will see this and comment, but my impression was that there were a good number of staterooms on the same air handler (not two or three), and all of those would be affected if some balcony sliders were open.

Allure 12574 and 76, was worried with 76 being very warm upon arrival but locking balcony door and pulling the drapes closed and moving the dial to coldest setting had it reasonable by bedtime. Never had a problem with temp this time. Was warm on Oasis last year same general area but 14th floor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hopefully our resident Chief Engineer will see this and comment, but my impression was that there were a good number of staterooms on the same air handler (not two or three), and all of those would be affected if some balcony sliders were open.

Your wish is my command, oh great and powerful Mr. 100k (congrats).

Each cabin has an individual cooler that cools air recirculated within the cabin. This cooler is designed to recirculate 80% of the cabin air volume each hour. This is what your cabin thermostat controls.

Your cabin is also provided with 20% of its volume of air every hour in fresh air from the outside, to balance the amount of air taken out of the cabin by the bathroom exhaust. This air is cooled partially by the outgoing bathroom exhaust air, and also by large coolers that reduce the outside air temperature below the dew point, so that the humidity is reduced, and then slightly warmed, if necessary, to raise the dew point again. This fresh air supply is typically sent to the cabins around 55-60*F. These air handlers supply air to all the cabins on a deck, on one side, for the entire fire zone. So, if you are on the port side, then it will supply all cabins on the port side (outside and interior) between any two sets of fire doors in the passageway. This can be 30-40 cabins, and any imbalance caused by open balcony doors will adversely affect all of those cabins in the zone.

One thing to remember is that cabins that are on the "outside corners" of a deck (having two walls exposed to outside air) will have added heat load and more trouble keeping temperature. Likewise, cabins with open decks above will have a higher heat load and more trouble maintaining temperature.

Also, for cabin location, on a given sailing, the heat load on cabins, midships on the side, forward, or aft, will have different heat loads due to different orientation to the sun, and therefore may have more or less difficulty maintaining temperature. I remember in Honolulu on turn around day, due to the orientation of the pier, the aft balcony cabins were always warm, and we made sure the cabin stewards always left the drapes closed to keep the glaring sun out and help the AC.

Finally, know that the cruise lines, like the hotel business, use a "standard temperature" range, of about 70-74*F, so if the cabin is within that temperature, whether you are used to colder temps in your home or not, there will be nothing done about it. While the system may be able to bring the temperature down below this range, it is not guaranteed that it will do so.

Doesn't Harmony have the master switch control as Quantum class that requires a sea pass card or other like shaped card? The digital thermostats can be set as low as 68 if they are the same as Anthem. Our cabin was very cool.

... These air handlers supply air to all the cabins on a deck, on one side, for the entire fire zone. So, if you are on the port side, then it will supply all cabins on the port side (outside and interior) between any two sets of fire doors in the passageway. This can be 30-40 cabins, and any imbalance caused by open balcony doors will adversely affect all of those cabins in the zone.

Thanks very much, this is the part I remember. So one or two people who enjoy hearing the sound of the waves at night can adversely affect the ability of a large number of staterooms to get cool.

I'll save a link to this post so I don't keep making you repeat it.

I hope one day we can cruise together (if you can ever stand being on a ship when you're on vacation) so I can buy you a bunch of drinks for all your help.:)

Doesn't Harmony have the master switch control as Quantum class that requires a sea pass card or other like shaped card? The digital thermostats can be set as low as 68 if they are the same as Anthem. Our cabin was very cool.

Yes, Hamony has that master switch thing, and a standard business card can be used in place of a SeaPass card.

We sailed on Harmony in November and felt that our Boardwalk balcony cabin (deck 11) had no problems staying cool. We always make sure to have a cabin deck above and below us as mentioned above, cabins with outside decks right above them are harder to keep cool.

Chengk75 Thank you for that explanation, I have the first cabin 6130 is that what you call a corner? Does that mean its going to be warmer in that cabin?

I do take a special indoor thermometer so if the temperature does get above the 74 I will report it and not bother anybody should it be up to 74.

Reallyitsmema- Thank you for that info appreciate it!

Ourusualbeach- I know because I go on this website for cruise deck plans and I see it clearly its between 6138 and 6142

Bob, I believe I understand our Resident Chief Engineer, when he stated the outside corners would be warmer, does that mean my cabin on the Harmony 6130 be one of them, I do believe so, need your advice lol....my father in law has the cabin next to us 6132 he is elderly and always cold, I can get RC to switch our cabins then we both be happy lol.

Bob, I believe I understand our Resident Chief Engineer, when he stated the outside corners would be warmer, does that mean my cabin on the Harmony 6130 be one of them, I do believe so, need your advice lol....my father in law has the cabin next to us 6132 he is elderly and always cold, I can get RC to switch our cabins then we both be happy lol.

Sorry, I'll have to leave that to the Chief to answer. My gut feel is that people near you leaving their balcony sliders open (which is out of your control) have more of an effect than being on the corner, but I may be all wrong.

Just got off Navigator of the Seas last Friday - balcony room. While the room was nice and cool when we went to sleep, around 2-5 am, we were throwing off the comforter. The next day we requested a blanket and found we slept so much better for the remainder of the cruise. This will now be a part of my Day 1 routine - blanket request! Hope this helps.

Yes, that is exactly what happened to us on the Allure each night, only now I am on medication that brings up my body temperature as a side effect so I worried about it a bit more....we ALWAYS ask our cabin steward to get what I call the "heavy armour wear" bedding off and just keep a sheet and light weight blanket, which I never had any problems getting. I also had the cabins turn warm on NCL also and on Carnival never lucky to get one that cooled enough even in the daytime. Perhaps I should buy and bring a fan....I so much appreciate your response!

I wouldn't say definitively that the corner room will be warmer, but that the system has to work harder to get it as cool as a non-corner room. Again, cabin temperature, like water taste, is a very subjective thing, and different temperatures feel different to different people.

Bob, are the very forward cabins more windier out on the balconies?

Do you mean the forward facing balconies, or just the forward section of side balconies. 'Cause the forward facing balconies will be windier, due to the ship's motion.

Chengp75- Hello

I hope I understand correctly why is my head so bad today lol blame it on lupus lol...anyways, so 6130 does not have a double wall from what I understand you saying and then you mentioned the corner room does have to work hard, did I understand correctly? if yes, I will switch rooms as my father in law is always cold lol

Was curious as we never had the first two forward balconies on the side, curious whether they are windier?

Thanks very much, this is the part I remember. So one or two people who enjoy hearing the sound of the waves at night can adversely affect the ability of a large number of staterooms to get cool.

I'll save a link to this post so I don't keep making you repeat it.

I hope one day we can cruise together (if you can ever stand being on a ship when you're on vacation) so I can buy you a bunch of drinks for all your help.:)

Second round is on me.