re meat pies

"the Loo" = Wooloomolloo

I know Mr Gut, I used to walk the beat around 'The Loo, circa 1967-70, solo at night, no portable radio. But Harry De Wheels on Cowper Wharf Rd, outside Garden Island gate was handy for a brew and a dogs eye with mash and peas.:cool: @ 2am.

I know Mr Gut, I used to walk the beat around 'The Loo, circa 1967-70, solo at night, no portable radio. But Harry De Wheels on Cowper Wharf Rd, outside Garden Island gate was handy for a brew and a dogs eye with mash and peas.:cool: @ 2am.

Hard to beat at 2:00 Uncle Les.

Hard to beat at 2:00 Uncle Les.

No Maccas, Hungry Jacks, Burger King, Pizza Hut or KFC back then Mr Gut. Unheard of all those 'healthy eateries.' lol.:loudcry:

Back then as you know it was meat pies, chiko rolls, chicken dinners (in a box) Greasy Fish and Chips, Hamburger with the 'lot' from the 'Greeks.' etc. Wonder I am still alive, perhaps I need an oil change? lol.:mad:

Hope you and Mrs Gut are keeping well mate and stay that way for your next adventure on the high seas.:*

OK everyone hoping for some help. We are doing the Big bus during our pre cruise stay. We want to have Harry's wheels pie (to see how they compare to our local English pies (greggs etc). Which Harry's location would be the easiest to get off the bus to have a pie lunch.

TIA

Just about every town and city in UK has a 'Greggs.' Good prices too, the patrons line up in the street to purchase their delectable morsels. Last time I was in UK - 2015, Greggs was selling soups, salads and sandwiches as well as their original savoury and sweet bakes, but alas no gluten free bread or pastry for me.:evilsmile: But the salad was nice, probably from all corners of the EU.:*

I will be in merry olde England next English summer, pre cruises(s.)

Have to check Greggs website out for the latest offerings, amazing array. www.greggs.co.uk

Edited by NSWP

No Maccas, Hungry Jacks, Burger King, Pizza Hut or KFC back then Mr Gut. Unheard of all those 'healthy eateries.' lol.:loudcry:

Back then as you know it was meat pies, chiko rolls, chicken dinners (in a box) Greasy Fish and Chips, Hamburger with the 'lot' from the 'Greeks.' etc. Wonder I am still alive, perhaps I need an oil change? lol.:mad:

Hope you and Mrs Gut are keeping well mate and stay that way for your next adventure on the high seas.:*

Thanks Uncle Les couldn't even get most of that around my neck of the woods, old Charlie did Fish and Chips, Chiko Pluto scallop ect, but not burgers. Or Cookie did pies and cakes.

Looking forward to our two nights away.

Yeah how did we survive oh that's right by mum cooking home cooked meals that included a lot of vegetables that dad grew in the back yard and good fresh meat, not frozen for weeks and full of hormones. But sometimes being the chook dad had knocked the head off earlier that day.

Dads and chickens bring back some memories -- yes, a special dish.

Although he served in the navy in WW2 and saw nasty action and results, my Dad was still a bit squeamish. Occasionally he would forget to tie the chokk's legs together before the beheadings. A few made a short runner before collapsing.

He was also not so keen on plucking the beasts once retrieved. One day he has the bright idea of mechanising the process by putting the chook in the wash side of the Hoover twin tub. Soggy, battered, but still befeathered chook. One very angry Mum.

Dads and chickens bring back some memories -- yes, a special dish.

Although he served in the navy in WW2 and saw nasty action and results, my Dad was still a bit squeamish. Occasionally he would forget to tie the chokk's legs together before the beheadings. A few made a short runner before collapsing.

He was also not so keen on plucking the beasts once retrieved. One day he has the bright idea of mechanising the process by putting the chook in the wash side of the Hoover twin tub. Soggy, battered, but still befeathered chook. One very angry Mum.

Love it.

Saw a few go for a run from time to time.

Talking of Chicken, remember when it was a bit of special feed, mainly only at Christmas.

Indeed, now I/we eat chicken 4 nights a week, I cook it different ways. Tis a wonder I am growing feathers with all that chook in me. Beef one night, fish one night, then out to the Golfie, Bowlo or Rissole club (s) or reasonably priced BYO restaurant for a feed on the other night, that make 7? :mad:

Yeah how did we survive oh that's right by mum cooking home cooked meals that included a lot of vegetables that dad grew in the back yard and good fresh meat, not frozen for weeks and full of hormones. But sometimes being the chook dad had knocked the head off earlier that day.

I think the main thing was as mentioned, most people would only eat that sort of food once a week at the most. The people who ate that stuff day in day out are not alive and the ones that ate it more than once a week usually had very physical jobs. One big issue now is that eating out of home is done so much more regularly and people's lives have become very sedentary.

I think the main thing was as mentioned, most people would only eat that sort of food once a week at the most. The people who ate that stuff day in day out are not alive and the ones that ate it more than once a week usually had very physical jobs. One big issue now is that eating out of home is done so much more regularly and people's lives have become very sedentary.

Yep thelack of physical activity probably plays a big part, even things like needing to use public transport, as families didn't have three or more cars, meant walking to and from busses trains etc.

Our Woolies had decent size BBQ chooks on special yesterday arvo, late in the day, reduced to $5. Why bother cooking? So I purchased a couple.:cool:

The Foodworks local have cold ones for $5 pretty much every day, as my little pup loves chicken it's a great deal.

I had not had chicken mornay, or any other mornay, for at least a couple of decades.

In the hospital 4 weeks ago today, they decided I was to go on a soft diet. Something about my throats being all swollen and having trouble even swallowing water.

Chicken mornay 2 days in a row reinforced my intention of it being many decades before I have it again. In a pie or otherwise.

I had not had chicken mornay, or any other mornay, for at least a couple of decades.

In the hospital 4 weeks ago today, they decided I was to go on a soft diet. Something about my throats being all swollen and having trouble even swallowing water.

Chicken mornay 2 days in a row reinforced my intention of it being many decades before I have it again. In a pie or otherwise.

Yeah but hospital food.....:evilsmile::evilsmile::confused:

I remember a few years back I was transferred between a private hospital and a public hospital a few times.

One day I managed to get the same item (well by name anyway) for lunch and dinner.

One I'd have had seconds, or even thirds (had there been the option) the other I couldn't bring myself to eat.

The Foodworks local have cold ones for $5 pretty much every day, as my little pup loves chicken it's a great deal.

As long as it does not come with a Salmonella stuffing. Now you should not give dogs chook, gives them a taste of fowl and off they go raiding your neighbours chook yards, lol.:halo:

I have never heard of a chicken and eel pie before.:eek:

Sounds nice, have to put it on our Eurobodalla Meals on Wheels menu at our board meeting tomorrow. We do have MyChef Chicken Mornay and rice, but not Chicken and moray pie, do they bite? The pie I mean not the eel. :eek:

Sounds nice, have to put it on our Eurobodalla Meals on Wheels menu at our board meeting tomorrow. We do have MyChef Chicken Mornay and rice, but not Chicken and moray pie, do they bite? The pie I mean not the eel. :eek:

LOl, would be interesting combination, funnily enough, I would likely try one.

Not sure what bus you mean? They have a couple of routes

https://www.bigbustours.com/en/sydney/sydney-routes-and-tour-maps/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-KdiJq81gIVShZoCh082wCIEAAYASACEgKZJvD_BwE

There is a Harry's on George Street near Capitol theatre I'd guess getting off at Central and a short walk down George would be the way to go.

Maybe a walk down George St is not a good option with all the construction going on at the present time ,I believe the Drop Bears are very aggressiveclear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

Maybe a walk down George St is not a good option with all the construction going on at the present time ,I believe the Drop Bears are very aggressiveclear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

Isn't the construction is further down the towards Wynyard and Circular Quay rather than Central however the drop bears can be an issue anywhere along that stretch.

I was just at Woolworths and a tube of Pringles - Meat Pie flavour, jumped into my trolley. I think they were mentioned on here a few weeks ago by Mr Gut? Anyone tried them. :p

Have to wait until wine'oclock to sample them. So sad.