Hello, my name is Melissa and I'm a RCCL Addict.

I'm fairly new to cruising, but after one cruise on Carnival and one on RCCL, I've become loyal to RCCL. I think it's probably due to the C&A program and my desire to get Diamond status. (Mostly thanks to ALL OF YOU on this board!)

Anyway, the group that went on the Carnival cruise a couple years ago (10 women, all in my husbands family) want to take another all-girls cruise next spring on Norwegian. (My MIL is a frequent NCL cruiser so she gets the perks.) It's horrible of me, but I don't even want to go with because I'll be paying for a cruise and won't be getting any C&A credits!

I know I'm going a little overboard here (pun intended), and I know going on a any cruise is better than no cruise, but I just shudder at the idea of taking money out of the cruise fund and not going on an RCCL cruise.

So, will I be disappointed on a NCL cruise if I do end up going?

How about YOU talking THEM into switching to RC? ;)

Oh believe me, I tried. I brought out all the catalogs that I collected from my cruise two weeks ago, showed them our pictures, etc. My MIL is extremely stubborn and I think she gets some sort of kickback/onboard credit/etc. from the travel agent for booking 5 rooms.

One of the other girls that plans on going is a RCCL fan also. I think her and I are going to invite the others to one of our homes for dinner, then strap them to their chairs and watch all the travel channel episodes of RCCL cruises until they change their minds. :)

I just never thought I'd be in a position to contemplate turning down a cruise just because it's not on a particular cruise line. I WANT TO EARN MY RIGHT TO GO INTO THE CONCIERGE LOUNGE!!

You won't know how the NCL experience will be unless you try it for yourself. I enjoyed my cruise last July on the Dawn but it was not quite as nice as RCI. I liked the Freestyle dining concept. Worked well. Sometimes it's nice to step out and try other lines to see what else is out there.:)

I would find it hard to try another cruise line at this time. It would have to be totally free, like if I won one or something. After this next cruise I will be platinum. I just really like RCCL and just don't feel the need to try anything else. I would still try to convince your group to change, although it will be hard to do because of your MIL.

Hi; I too am addicted to cruising. We had a great time onboard the Explorer, but I wouldn't mind cruising with other lines to see what they offer. I'm sure that there are pluses and minues to all cruise lines. Some are better than others but you won't really know until you try them out.

Just wanted to say, that thanks to your thread header I burst out laughing in the middle of my university child studies class. :D

LMAO!!

Welcome to the club...I too am addicted and it's nice to know there are so many of us out there.:o

We have been on RCI, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess and NCL. I guess when you are an addict you do not care how you get your cruise high!:D

I say go on the cruise and have fun! If you are as addicted to cruising as

you think you are, you will probably rack up benefits with several cruise lines. Give it time! You will probably being saying shortly "Hi, I'm and addicted cruiser, and I am addicted to every line!" :eek: Good luck!

This may only be the beginning of your troubles!;)

That was the funniest post I have read. I too am an addict after just one cruise. My husband and I sailed in January on Grandeur for 5 nights and I was hooked. Next year we are taking our 3 kids on Freedom - March 29th - CAN'T WAIT!!!

I'd like to join the club as well. I'm so ready to get back to an RCCL ship that I'm thinking about booking during hurricane season. LOL!! I haven't been on NCL but RCCL is my favorite and I'm trying to get back to them as soon as possible.

How important is it to stay in your MIL's friendly circle? Probably she is getting some kind of a perk to book 5 cabins, plus getting points from the ship. You do have quite a while to get diamond status depending on how often you travel, so I dont think one cruise will matter too much at this stage of the game. Trying to lore others away from your MIL's plans could present a bit of a problem for everyone involved. If she is not willing to look at RCCL positives, you dont have many choices. Either go along with her, keep in her good graces and enjoy yourself, or just find a reason not to go.

We've sailed Disney, RCCL, Carnival, and many times on NCL. We have enjoyed every cruise, regardless of the cruiseline. We are scheduled for the Med. Cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas next February (2009). I guess you could call us cruiseline agnostic...while we get perks on NCL, we love cruising and I'd rather be on a cruise (any cruiseline) than sitting in my office any day!!!! Also, it's always important to keep the MIL happy! :-) I say go and have a great time!

Hi, I'm Karen and I'm a cruise addict!

You're already disappointed, or you wouldn't be asking for our input. I think if you enjoy being with those people, then you'll have fun regardless of the ship you're on. But I totally understand wanting your C&A points.

I haven't been on NCL, just Carnival (which is why I only do RCI).

I say go, but talk them into booking an RCI cruise for the next time! You could even take brochures on the cruise with you and while everyone is having a great time, they can pick out the next cruise.

Hope that helps a little!

Karen

Here's my take on it....if you must sail on NCL to keep the peace with your MIL, do it before you become a Platinum member with RCI. I've made it very clear with family and friends that I will not sail on any other cruise line because I really enjoy the perks we get as Platinum members, plus the shareholder OBC, to sail with any other line.

Karen....who plans to keep sailing RCI and make Diamond, then Diamond Plus!:D

We've cruised with RCI, Princess, and NCL. We pick the cruise based on the itinerary. We sailed the NCL Pearl 11/07 (thanksgiving week) and absolutely loved it.

There are so many similarities between the mass market lines, that you really just have to go with itinerary and cost. You'll have a great time no matter what!

I'm hooked on RCCL and I've never been on a cruise other than a big gray boat with my uncle. (Bad joke I know)

But I have two cruises with the deposits paid on RCCL that will be getting me 2 credits each and therefore nearly platinum. So I will be booking at least another in between to finish that push. To me the time is more important than the money so I always try to get 2 credits per sailing.

That said, how about this angle.

"DH, I will go on this cruise with your mother on her cruise line because she wants me to go, but we should book one for us as a semi back to back (if possible) so we can keep getting those cruise credits"

and see how that works.

to MIL? :eek:

I mean, I've paid for 4 cruises for my grown kids..... they were HAPPY to go! If I'm spending part of their inheritance on cruises, they may as well enjoy some of it too!

If she REALLY wants you to go, how much is it worth to her? Then, it doesn't matter to you which cruise line you're on. Besides, if she is getting the credit for multiple room bookings, then she should be footing the bill for that extra credit. Although it might be hard to convince MIL of this approach! (I am NOT really advising causing a family dispute over this! - just pointing out that MIL does have other ways to convince you to go.)

Seriously though, I say go - enjoy - and you'll be able to advise all of us RCCL addicts better when you get back!

Archived