Back to the Class System

jebl

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that RCI is reverting to the old class system of cruising?

When I first started cruising everyone was equal and entitled to use all areas of the ship, sit wherever you could find a seat and use all of the beach areas on "private islands". The only thing you got by paying a higher price than the next person was roomier accomodations and some perks in your suite.

Now the suite passengers are getting a special section in the theater, by the pool on some ships, a special area on Labadee that used to be open to all.

Next I guess those of us who don't want to pay big bucks for a suite will be relegated to certain deck, dining rooms, etc.

I'm not sure if I really like this trend of separation.

If you look at the seats in the theater or by the pool, they aren't creating a separate, much better class of accommodations for suite passengers. They're just making sure that if suite passengers want a seat at the theater or to sit near the pool, they will have that option, while people not in suites have to get there early to guarantee a seat. Titanic, this is not. They're trying to guarantee suite passengers a bare minimum in accommodations when they're paying a premium for their experience.

Honestly this trend is not new and it started many years ago with the Concierge Clubs. It might have not been that obvious as it´s only one small romm of the ship reserved for a certain group.

I´m not a huge fan of the reserved seating and I actually have not and likely will not use it, but yes I do use the CL. I rather look out for my own preferred seats instead of being in a roped off area sitting kinda on display. But that´s just me.

I have sailed on QM2, where I really expected a class system with seperate dining rooms etc. However I was pleasantly surprised. I was in steerage or how they call it Britannia;). I saw the other Dining rooms and was pleased with the Britannia Dining Room. I thought it was the nicest. Of course I can´t say if the food was that much better, but it was top in Britannia already. Other than that there was something like the Concierge Lounge, which actually was not behind closed doors and key entry only and a private deck with a hot tub. It was not in your face at all.

On the Independence, the "Suite" passengers also had their private breakfast dining in the Chops Grille. Get your stuff at the buffet, go into Chops so you don't have to sit with the masses.:rolleyes:

For the prices being charged for suites, I'd expect someone to cut my sausages and butter my toast.

The CL is fabulous. You pay extra, go and enjoy it.

The problem that many of us steerage pax have (at least me) is they've TAKEN AWAY things that were also ours. No one took the first class seats away from me on a plane.

The reserved seats at the pool are a travesty. A whole week on the Liberty and that was by FAR, the EMPTIEST section of the pool area, and it was impossible to find deck chairs. Believe me, there were suite pax sitting in the steerage section (or should I say "taking up" the steerage section). First class pax on a plane don't "take up" seats in steerage.

I didn't find it to be much of a problem with Studio B or the theater (yes the Studio B front row was mostly empty, but there were other seats to be had) though. But they gotta get rid of those unused deck chair ropes.

What bothers me is paying for 3 rooms (probably more than most pay for a suite) and getting nothing. I can't even get their credits when I am the one who is paying the bill:mad:

Your dollar cost for 3 rooms may be the same or more than someone booking a suite, but that cost is divided between probably 6 people, while the suite guest's cost is only divided by 2. Given the increased per-person cost of a suite, I don't have a problem with suite guests getting a few extra perks, including reserved seating at shows etc.

The CL is fabulous. You pay extra, go and enjoy it.

The problem that many of us steerage pax have (at least me) is they've TAKEN AWAY things that were also ours. No one took the first class seats away from me on a plane.

The reserved seats at the pool are a travesty. A whole week on the Liberty and that was by FAR, the EMPTIEST section of the pool area, and it was impossible to find deck chairs. Believe me, there were suite pax sitting in the steerage section (or should I say "taking up" the steerage section). First class pax on a plane don't "take up" seats in steerage.

I didn't find it to be much of a problem with Studio B or the theater (yes the Studio B front row was mostly empty, but there were other seats to be had) though. But they gotta get rid of those unused deck chair ropes.

I see where that is a problem. I don't mind them having a reserve spot because what they pay for their suite make my cabin affordable. However you can't be double butting. That's legalizing chair hogging;) I have been to several resorts where private areas are reserved for passengers paying more. I simply choose to spend my extra $$$ in another area or on another trip.

I see where that is a problem. I don't mind them having a reserve spot because what they pay for their suite make my cabin affordable. However you can't be double butting. That's legalizing chair hogging I have been to several resorts where private areas are reserved for passengers paying more. I simply choose to spend my extra $$$ in another area or on another trip.

Legalized chair hogging! Too funny. :)

What bothers me is paying for 3 rooms (probably more than most pay for a suite) and getting nothing. I can't even get their credits when I am the one who is paying the bill:mad:

My husband was just saying the same thing! We are splurging on a suite but we are also getting a balcony room for the girls,,,however he can't get the points for their room even though he is the one footing the bill. The only reason we are getting a suite is to try to build up points quicker. I'm sure after this one we will go back to a regular balcony room and be just as happy!

Also since we have our DD's with us and they will not be staying in a suite I'm sure we will not be using all those perks since we will want our DD's sitting with us!

It is a trend that isn't confined to RCI. Check out the language in NCL's promotional materials and read about their Villa Suites which basically allow guests to spend the entire cruise without having to mix with their "inferiors"(the rest of the passengers who booked standard rooms). I'm not enamored of this that provides special amenities to guests (outside of their staterooms) based on the category of stateroom they have booked, but it is a growing trend, and I have to admit that I enjoy the CL access that my Diamond Plus status provides to me.

You should also note the language about the seapass cards which are now color coded according to your stateroom type or Crown and Anchor level, that allows you to get the "recognition you deserve" and provides you with preferential status in selecting your dining room seating, booking excursions, and getting reservations in the specialty restaurants.

When we began cruising one of its big features was that once you were outside your stateroom you were treated equally well by the staff regardless of your cabin category. That idea no longer seems to be in vogue and the "Me" generation insists that how they are treated must reflect what they paid, that "he who pays the piper gets to call the tunes" and the Golden Rule states that :He who has the gold, rules." Cruising has become less democratic and more of a plutocracy.:rolleyes: Not sure when, or if, the pendulum will ever swing back the other way so I guess we will have to endure things as they are, and focus on those aspects of cruising that we still find attractive.:)

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that RCI is reverting to the old class system of cruising?

When I first started cruising everyone was equal and entitled to use all areas of the ship, sit wherever you could find a seat and use all of the beach areas on "private islands". The only thing you got by paying a higher price than the next person was roomier accomodations and some perks in your suite.

Now the suite passengers are getting a special section in the theater, by the pool on some ships, a special area on Labadee that used to be open to all.

Next I guess those of us who don't want to pay big bucks for a suite will be relegated to certain deck, dining rooms, etc.

I'm not sure if I really like this trend of separation.

Supply and demand... They are building larger and larger ships and they can only accommodate so many people at the events, poolside, etc. So, give priority to those who pay more... Not fair and there will be a pax. backlash.

You pay for first class you get first class, it's true on airplanes, hotels, threatres and anywhere you have different prices for different seats.

I agree it's the same.

But, it seems somehow out of place on a cruise ship which has always been sort of an "equal opportunity" experience.

That's probably just me, though.......sometimes changes are hard to understand or accept....:o

On the Independence, the "Suite" passengers also had their private breakfast dining in the Chops Grille. Get your stuff at the buffet, go into Chops so you don't have to sit with the masses.:rolleyes:

For the prices being charged for suites, I'd expect someone to cut my sausages and butter my toast.

Now, see, I wouldn't have a problem with a "reserved" dining area for breakfast or lunch. Like dinner, the tables are assigned.

To me, that would just be another "perk"....like free laundry or VIP checkin, etc.

He who has the Gold, rules!

I have no problem with folks that pay a premium price getting premium treatment.

Many agree. However, I was trying to point out that not that many years ago that premium treatment was provided only within the confines of the suites and that once guests were out and about the ship, everyone received the same royal treatment. I found it one of the more attractive features of cruising. Things have changed and apparently people are more demanding of special attention throughout the ship and, as in the case with NCL's suites, mixing with the rest of the guests is something that can be avoided if you are willing to pay the premium.:(

Many agree. However, I was trying to point out that not that many years ago that premium treatment was provided only within the confines of the suites and that once guests were out and about the ship, everyone received the same royal treatment. I found it one of the more attractive features of cruising. Things have changed and apparently people are more demanding of special attention throughout the ship and, as in the case with NCL's suites, mixing with the rest of the guests is something that can be avoided if you are willing to pay the premium.:(

Sometimes people spend all their non-vacation time mix and mingling, so on vacation they wish for this time away. I spend each meal, just about everyday, dining with DH and kids. The last thing I need on vacation is a dining experience for 2. I would be disappointed if I had to share a table with just him because we both wish for something different from what we do at home, everyday.

I agree, from a couple of weeks later on Liberty. They have at least twice as many seats reserved there as needed! They should put half of them back for the general public. You don't need both "staircases."

We were in a suite but traveling with a bunch of friends who weren't, so we sat with them. Not by the pool, but on the upper deck in a group of 8. I sympathize with people who see this as us "double-claiming" a scarce resource, but in our position, what would you have done? We were traveling to spend the days with them. I never found that there were NO seats to be had, even on a sea day; there just weren't always good seats by the pool. I also understand why it would not work to allow suite guests to bring friends into the reserved seats, that would get out of hand very easily.

I seriously worried about this when going to the ice show, when I was prepared to move to the suite seats if it looked to fill up, even though it would have made me look like a jerk to our friends; fortunately the show didn't come close to filling and all the seats were equally good.

The argument that "something is being taken away" is ludicrous. ;) RCI has been "taking away" from passengers for the past 10 years at least!!

The quality of food has declined. Free Johnny Rockets is no more. Bringing your own liquor aboard is no more (well, theoretically :D). Real formal nights are no more. C&A perks are very much deminished. No more combining of discounts. No more 24 hour free room service. I could go on and on.

The argument that "something is being taken away" is ludicrous. ;) RCI has been "taking away" from passengers for the past 10 years at least!!

The quality of food has declined. Free Johnny Rockets is no more. Bringing your own liquor aboard is no more (well, theoretically :D). Real formal nights are no more. C&A perks are very much deminished. No more combining of discounts. No more 24 hour free room service. I could go on and on.

That is exactly right ... everything has been on a downward trend. (The worst is no free lemonade in the MDR according to my wife.) But with prices low few are willing to complain too loudly.

But those "taken away" things are not things they are then giving to suite guests. They get the same generic food now being served in the MDR as everyone else does -- unless they want to pay to go to Chops or Portifinio every night of the cruise. (Something I'm seriously considering for our next cruise with just the 2 of us.)

I also believe that the "special perks" is nothing new. It's just that you now have everyone talking it on CC so it becomes a big deal. The D++ have always been given the suite upgrades if they are empty at sailing and the D+ lounge has been around forever -- it's just that none of the rest knew it existed until people started talking about it. Now though it is being made obvious: the sign for the suite guest only chair sections, etc. It is those things which caused the feelings expressed by the OP. (Made worse when we all see the reserved seats empty or with only a couple used all day long and can not find a seat we want. Suite guests are down by the pool or in the Solarium!)

The Class system can attract some very classless people (JMHO not all so please don't take offense)...They can at times be the real entertainment on board..and separating them can make them easier to spot..... and create a better venue for watching...We have been very entertained by some of these in the CL..Sorry not everyone got to enjoy the show...but keep your eyes open now that they have more areas in which to show their talents....:eek: ;)

Archived