Military Benefits Curtailed

darthonian

A valid point by Florry - the younger members of today's society may well, in general, be more in need, though of course like any group not all are/will be in a worse position than the average cruiser today.

To return to the original point that has shown such diverse views by a number of people on this thread, I suggest that if P&O (and indeed Carnival) want to show appreciation of military service, that would be far better done by publicly donating to a charity which helps people who are disadvantaged because of that military experience, rather than provide a wide ranging reduction to cruise price (or OBC) to all who have served in the military.

I would also suggest that if the people who are so adamantly defending the military benefit, because of various sad tales of those who are disadvantaged (I mean in any way, whether it be financial, loss of limbs or any other injury including mental health), can not really object to a charity donation, if they really do care for those who are disadvantaged by their military service.

I still do not believe that any discount for any profession/occupation should take place. I also believe that the government should make sure that there is funding when it is needed, whether for salaries or provision of care for all who need it and taxes raised if needed. I know of two contemporaries of our son who committed suicide at about the age of 30 (one was a friend of his, the other a classmate - neither military staff). Things like that should not happen to anyone, no matter who they are or what the circumstances are - but that is just one need in society.

I would much prefer to loose more money in tax, if it is spent wisely on such things rather than find that a specific group of people are treated differently by commercial companies when making a purchase.

Regards equality with N Amercan lines I am rather pleased we do not have equality with their cruise and drink prices or their expected tip levels.

Edited by tring

Have to agree. Can't see why the military should get benefits. Do nurses get it? Midwives? Police? I could go on.

Once again please see my post no 15 on here, yes they do all NHS workers, Police and Fire Service can get the discount.

A valid point by Florry - the younger members of today's society may well, in general, be more in need, though of course like any group not all are/will be in a worse position than the average cruiser today.

To return to the original point that has shown such diverse views by a number of people on this thread, I suggest that if P&O (and indeed Carnival) want to show appreciation of military service, that would be far better done by publicly donating to a charity which helps people who are disadvantaged because of that military experience, rather than provide a wide ranging reduction to cruise price (or OBC) to all who have served in the military.

I would also suggest that if the people who are so adamantly defending the military benefit, because of various sad tales of those who are disadvantaged (I mean in any way, whether it be financial, loss of limbs or any other injury including mental health), can not really object to a charity donation, if they really do care for those who are disadvantaged by their military service.

I still do not believe that any discount for any profession/occupation should take place. I also believe that the government should make sure that there is funding when it is needed, whether for salaries or provision of care for all who need it and taxes raised if needed. I know of two contemporaries of our son who committed suicide at about the age of 30 (one was a friend of his, the other a classmate - neither military staff). Things like that should not happen to anyone, no matter who they are or what the circumstances are - but that is just one need in society.

I would much prefer to loose more money in tax, if it is spent wisely on such things rather than find that a specific group of people are treated differently by commercial companies when making a purchase.

Regards equality with N Amercan lines I am rather pleased we do not have equality with their cruise and drink prices or their expected tip levels.

Completely agree with you - there is no one section of society that is more or less deserving of a discount (OBC) based on their occupation, especially when public service areas today cover such a wide range of jobs and roles (admin to front line action and everything in between).

I also object to the 'knee jerk' reaction of some posters to a debate of this kind who use emotive stories to make a point and who imply that anyone who doesn't agree with their view must be unfeeling and ungenerous - nonsense!

I think basically that all the doubters on here are basically anti British military services and need to take a long look at themselves and think who fought in the past and recent past to make it possible for them to cruise around the world in relative safety, enough said.......

Edited by cheznick
mispelling

I think basically that all the doubters on here are basically anti British military services and need to take a long look at themselves and think who fought in the past and recent past to make it possible for them to cruise around the world in relative safety, enough said.......

Well said, from 15 to 55 I served in the British Army, Australian Army and an Australian Police Force. I am not shy in accepting the Military OBC from the cruise lines, we don't beg for it, it is offered and nobody has to accept it. It is a pretty bold decision by P&O UK to withdraw it. :hearteyes:

Well said, from 15 to 55 I served in the British Army, Australian Army and an Australian Police Force. I am not shy in accepting the Military OBC from the cruise lines, we don't beg for it, it is offered and nobody has to accept it. It is a pretty bold decision by P&O UK to withdraw it. :hearteyes:

P&O haven't withdrawn Military OBC, even OP didn't claim that despite the misleading subject line. P&O changed the T&Cs last year so that OP no longer qualified as they were getting a 'welcome back' promotional discount or OBC. There are only so many cheap fares, promotional discounts, or OBC offers that people can reasonably expect to be combined but OP thought otherwise and ejected toys from pram. OP really didn't like Oceana on a previous cruise a few years ago so why they've booked two cruises on her is a bit of a mystery.

P&O haven't withdrawn Military OBC, even OP didn't claim that despite the misleading subject line. P&O changed the T&Cs last year so that OP no longer qualified as they were getting a 'welcome back' promotional discount or OBC. There are only so many cheap fares, promotional discounts, or OBC offers that people can reasonably expect to be combined but OP thought otherwise and ejected toys from pram. OP really didn't like Oceana on a previous cruise a few years ago so why they've booked two cruises on her is a bit of a mystery.

Understand, you have clarified that, thankyou and happy cruising.:*

Yes OP also never answered my question about what sort of fare he had bought. As you say if you get a really cheap saver fare you can’t expect other extras, at least we don’t and that is with 22 years service in the armed forces.

Also as I said in previous posts Nurses etc can get the same OBC if they have a Blue Light Card. We have that and military service but can only get one lot of extra OBC, which we are still pleased with.

Whilst nobody would question the fantastic job done by our armed forces, it is a career that, in this country at least, people choose voluntarily. P&O is a commercial organisation, not state owned, so I don’t see that it follows that they should be obliged to provide a discount or feel compelled to continue it if they have done so previously. Putting yourself in harms way is commendable, but the ability to retire 10 to 15 years earlier than those in the private sector, on a tax payer funded pension scheme that most people could only dream of, provides a just reward at the end which, I suspect, means that ex-military personnel have the opportunity to cruise without the need to be subsidised by others.

Hasn't it ever occurred to you that Military Benefits by all of the Carnival Corporation ships might just be a very slick marketing ploy?

Having just cruised with Carnival they opted to give a Military discount on the cabin price. I just appreciate each line that gives like this and that includes Cunard and Princess where, on a cruise later this year my wife and I earned $500.00 of Military Benefit between us before I collected the $250.00 Carnival Shareholder OBC.

Nice work if you can get it. :evilsmile: :evilsmile:

Yes OP also never answered my question about what sort of fare he had bought. As you say if you get a really cheap saver fare you can’t expect other extras, at least we don’t and that is with 22 years service in the armed forces.

Also as I said in previous posts Nurses etc can get the same OBC if they have a Blue Light Card. We have that and military service but can only get one lot of extra OBC, which we are still pleased with.

Nice post Amajaa.

I remember a woman on another forum who threw her toys out of the pram when Cunard refused a request for Military Benefit.

As always, after some questioning by more rational members, it came to light she had bought a last minute reduced deal that was clearly outside the terms & Conditions.

Have to agree. Can't see why the military should get benefits. Do nurses get it? Midwives? Police? I could go on.

Was recently off the Azura...and spoke to a social worker who got OBC. As a matter of interest they wouldnt give me military credit either.....because we booked a saver fare. I emailed CEO of both Carnival and CEO PO UK.... same answer

Was recently off the Azura...and spoke to a social worker who got OBC. As a matter of interest they wouldnt give me military credit either.....because we booked a saver fare. I emailed CEO of both Carnival and CEO PO UK.... same answer

So it is all about Saver fares, I thought so. A bit mean. But them's the rules and they are the Rulers.

Nice post Amajaa.

I remember a woman on another forum who threw her toys out of the pram when Cunard refused a request for Military Benefit.

As always, after some questioning by more rational members, it came to light she had bought a last minute reduced deal that was clearly outside the terms & Conditions.

'Threw her toys out of the pram.' I like that one Sir Richard. We would say..'Spat the Dummy.' lol.:')

So it is all about Saver fares, I thought so. A bit mean. But them's the rules and they are the Rulers.

With the multiple careers the employment of the age an ex serviceman joining the fire service then becoming a nurse and finally a social worker that would be a nice little hoard of OBC, oh and the guy is a shareholder too. Carnival ends up owing him money.

DAVID.