Clelia II of Polar Cruises breaks down in Antarctic

dileep

I sympathize with those poor people on that 2,400 ton ship. The Drake Passage can be a desolate and hostile environment. They are fortunate to have survived extreme seas.

We made the voyage through those same waters this past February on the Celebrity Infinity. We encountered a extreme weather depression which, one night, generated 28-30 ft seas and 70 knot winds, somewhat greater in wind speed to the current event. Although the ship was listing due the wind, we were never uncomfortable to the point of falling out of bed. But it was rocky in pitch and yaw. A rough journey but impressive with regards to the seaworthiness of a mega ship. The Infinity's 91,000 tons handled the seas.

It's a fickle place, the same cruise itinerary that followed us apparently had much calmer conditions. This is certainly not a cruise through the Carribbean.

We were actually booked for the Clelia II for next week until they changed the itinerary and decided not to go to South Georgia. So we canceled and are now on the PAII. Glad we did. It was good to hear all are safe. I wonder what the fate is for those who were suppose to travel this month on the Clelia II

We were actually booked for the Clelia II for next week until they changed the itinerary and decided not to go to South Georgia. So we canceled and are now on the PAII. Glad we did. It was good to hear all are safe. I wonder what the fate is for those who were suppose to travel this month on the Clelia II

South Georgia is great. Good decision. I vaguely recall Clelia II having problems last year too.

Happy cruising!

I sympathize with those poor people on that 2,400 ton ship. The Drake Passage can be a desolate and hostile environment. They are fortunate to have survived extreme seas.

We made the voyage through those same waters this past February on the Celebrity Infinity. We encountered a extreme weather depression which, one night, generated 28-30 ft seas and 70 knot winds, somewhat greater in wind speed to the current event. Although the ship was listing due the wind, we were never uncomfortable to the point of falling out of bed. But it was rocky in pitch and yaw. A rough journey but impressive with regards to the seaworthiness of a mega ship. The Infinity's 91,000 tons handled the seas.

It's a fickle place, the same cruise itinerary that followed us apparently had much calmer conditions. This is certainly not a cruise through the Carribbean.

Yes, we agree, a small ship cruise to Antarctica is not your ordinary cruise. We were on the Fram this past Feb, its about 12k tons. We had 50 foot plus seas and hurricane winds over 100 mph. DW tossed out of her chair, some tossed out in dining room and some cuts & injuries from pax being thrown into a glass panel. Lots of seasickness. Anyone going to Antarctica on one of these small ships needs to be prepared. All that aside, once over the Drake, the sights in Antarctica is something that really can't be described.

Hi,

I am writing this from Buenos Aires since we were supposed to have boarded the Clelia II yesterday afternoon. We flew down to BA on Sat and arrived on Sunday...then flew down to Ushuaia on Tuesday and were told that the Clelia II was experiencing very bad winds and huge waves so possibly it would arrive back into Ushuaia later than we were supposed to board on Wed. By Tuesday evening a meeting was called and that was when we got the news that the ship had gotten hit by some huge waves and that the windows to the bridge were struck and broken and that the electronics were not responsive. But thankfully no serious injuries to any onboard. We were told that a National Geographic ship was about 20+ miles away when the ship sent out a message that they were in need of assistance and the NG ship headed to the Clelia's assistance. Our understanding is that at least one engine was working so they were 'limping' back at around 4 knots to Ushuaia and that they were expected back perhaps Sat or Sun. And then we were told that since we couldn't wait around in Ushuaia for an indeterminate of time that our sailing was now cancelled and they were working on getting us back to BA asap and from there...to get back to the states. Once the ship is back...it will have to be assessed for damages and how long it would take to fix everything before it can be determined if they will be sailing some of the later expedition dates. My guess right now is that at least all the Dec sailings will be CX. When we get more info...will try to post.

Betty

http://www.gadling.com/2010/12/09/update-on-antarctic-cruise-ship-clelia-ii/

If all goes as planned, the Clelia II should arrive back in Ushuaia today, with all passengers safe and sound. I'm sure they'll all be more than happy to be back on dry land when they reach port, but at least they'll have a great story to tell their friends back home.

Hi,

Once the ship is back...it will have to be assessed for damages and how long it would take to fix everything before it can be determined if they will be sailing some of the later expedition dates. My guess right now is that at least all the Dec sailings will be CX. When we get more info...will try to post.

Betty

How disappointing for you!

Hope you can get on a future cruise soon.

I have now read many mixed reviews on going through the Drake Passage. Is it true that you will, more than 75% of the time (higher?) for sure encounter some very rough seas? If so, for how long? Hours or more like days? That is what has stopped me from booking a trip to the Antarctica. Anyone taken an OAT trip there?

We had no problem in the Drake Passage except for the very end, near Cape Horn. And even then it wasn't too bad. High winds, some rolling.

We had smooth sailing on "Drake Lake" all the way to Ushuaia last January!

I have now read many mixed reviews on going through the Drake Passage. Is it true that you will, more than 75% of the time (higher?) for sure encounter some very rough seas? If so, for how long? Hours or more like days? That is what has stopped me from booking a trip to the Antarctica. Anyone taken an OAT trip there?

Our entire crossing of the Drake was very rough. (2d worse crossing per the captain for that season). It lasted all of the first night and into the next day. We loaded up on seasick meds, just stayed in bed as there really isn't anything else you can do.

My wife was terrified of going due to the possibility of rough seas, however we are going back in Jan 2012 for another cruise on the same ship. She told me her fears of the rough seas were actually much worse than the experience itself. Also you have probably a 50/50 chance you will get the lake instead of the shake.

Hope you will go as the trip will not disappoint. For every news item you see on some ship down there getting in trouble, there are dozens that make multiple crossings every year with no problems at all.

Regards,

RonC

Our entire crossing of the Drake was very rough. (2d worse crossing per the captain for that season). It lasted all of the first night and into the next day. We loaded up on seasick meds, just stayed in bed as there really isn't anything else you can do.

My wife was terrified of going due to the possibility of rough seas, however we are going back in Jan 2012 for another cruise on the same ship. She told me her fears of the rough seas were actually much worse than the experience itself. Also you have probably a 50/50 chance you will get the lake instead of the shake.

Hope you will go as the trip will not disappoint. For every news item you see on some ship down there getting in trouble, there are dozens that make multiple crossings every year with no problems at all.

Regards,

RonC

Thanks for the words of wisdom. We recently booked L'Austral for December, 2011. I'm excited and anxious at the same time.

B

I have just returned home from my 30 days on the KK. Our crossing from Ushuaia in early Nov was what I would call medium. Averaged 4 to 5 metre waves and 40 knot winds for 2 or 3 days.

The crossing from Sth Georgia to Falklands in early December was rougher - 6 or higher metre waves and 60 to 70 knot winds. Most of us spent entire days on the bridge trying to capture than one perfect bow breaking wave photo !!!

Personally I found it fabulous. I would have been bored senseless on a Drake Lake as I went for the adventure. I can ignore the body that is covered in bruises from death defying attempts to have a shower - they will fade - my memories wont !!!!

I can ignore the body that is covered in bruises from death defying attempts to have a shower - they will fade - my memories wont !!!!

Ohmigosh....you reminded me of the same thing my husband and I have gone through. I wedged myself into a corner in the shower, using hands and feet to brace myself. Then it dawned on me.....how was I going to wash myself with both hands acting as braces? :D It WAS an experience!

Ohmigosh....you reminded me of the same thing my husband and I have gone through. I wedged myself into a corner in the shower, using hands and feet to brace myself. Then it dawned on me.....how was I going to wash myself with both hands acting as braces? :D It WAS an experience!

hahaha you described it perfectly. On my first attempt I ended up sitting on the floor - but found getting back up to be nigh on impossible!!!

One handed hair washing was a new extreme talent I developed.

I actually have a huge bruise across my tummy that I realised was from bracing myself against the sink to brush my teeth !!!!

Is this ship that had problems at last season?

Lirio:

I vaguely remember that this same ship had problems last year too, but I am not sure. The ship that we were on (Minerva) had engine problems on the cruise after ours and limped into Ushuaia a day late.

I found this story about engine problems in Sept 2010: The Clelia II was temporarily waylaid on its journey through the North Channel last Tuesday, when the cruise ship lost engine power and became grounded at the point at Boyle Marine in Little Current.

http://www.manitoulin.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=382:clelia-cruise-ship-runs-aground-off-tip-of-little-current-marina-&catid=34:stories

Archived