Solo dining options

MillieRyan08

I will be travelling solo on a May 2019 med cruise. I’m wondering how to go about about making dinner reservations at the speciality restaurants when there is just one of you, but you want to share a table. I read that you should book in advance but it’s a bit hard to book ahead of time when there is just you. Or do you just book for one and hope for the best?

Thanks!

Book as much as you feel like - it's very easy to change bookings once on board.

There'll be a 'solos gathering' on the first night and the group usually goes to dinner together so you don't have to worry about that. Then, if you have a 'foot in the door', i.e. a reservation for one at a specialty restaurant, it's usually not a problem to increase the number, or cancel it if you get a better offer.

I'll usually book a table for four or six and invite others to join me at that evening's solo gathering. It is also extremely easy, as JollyJones noted, to change or cancel as things develop. Enjoy your cruise!

I did the same -- made a reservation for 3 or 4, and asked people I met on the cruise (mainly from my trivia team), if they'd like to join me. This was on Silver Whisper. Also, FWIW, there were at least two tables with solo diners at La Dame the night I was there, and people from different tables were chatting with each other (though I don't know how common that is -- we might have had a social night).

We don’t travel solo but even with reservations we are sometimes asked if we want to sit with others, want a private table, or if we’d welcome another couple/single. Personally we’ve found it much more relaxed and easier to meet people on Silversea than any of our previous cruises on Celebrity and Holland America. Kind of up to the passenger whether to mingle or not.

I will be travelling solo on a May 2019 med cruise. I’m wondering how to go about about making dinner reservations at the speciality restaurants when there is just one of you, but you want to share a table. I read that you should book in advance but it’s a bit hard to book ahead of time when there is just you. Or do you just book for one and hope for the best?

Thanks!

Hi, I have been sailing solo for nearly 16 years and took my first cruise on Silversea last summer and will be cruising again with them on July 10th:D.

I can tell you from my experience they treat solo pax very well and since the ships are so small, it is very easy to meet others. They always had a spot for solos to get together for cocktails (if you want to join). They are not pushy or anything but make it available if you want to interact with others folks. And I recall on the first night they had one of the staff go to the main dining and have them set up a table for those who wanted to dine together that evening. It was a very nice touch.

As for reservations? I made a couple of them on line and ended up eating with some other folks as well as going on my own. The entire ambiance is lovely and I felt very welcomed and it really is very easy to meet people. You can always speak with Maitr'd as well.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

I'll usually book a table for four or six and invite others to join me at that evening's solo gathering. It is also extremely easy, as JollyJones noted, to change or cancel as things develop. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks pf778c, appreciate the much needed advice.

Cheers, Millie

Hi Millie, my first SS solo was last March, and I found the dining so easy. Night 1, as others have mentioned, there is a solo gathering and we all went to dinner together.

I did prebook specialty restos. For the Grill, a woman I’d met joined my table for 1. In La Terrazza, a lovely couple invited me to join them at their table. And in La Dame I dined alone, happily. I liked La Terrazza so much that I tried for another reservation, and was added to a table of other solos there that night.

In my experience, SS takes good care of their solos. We gathered for cocktails every evening, sometimes hosted and sometimes not, and many of us also dined with staff (my staff invite was from the Cruise Director).

Bottom line: my advice is to book some tables for 1 in the specialties, and let the social situation evolve as it will. Others will appreciate your asking them to join you.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked a solo for all evenings on my Spirit cruise from Rouen to Lisbon last year. Never ended up dining alone as I met people along the way. It was easy to change reservations once on board.

Have a great trip. I loved my cruise.

I booked for 1 for all evenings on my Spirit cruise from Rouen to Lisbon last year. Never ended up dining alone as I met people along the way. It was easy to change reservations once on board. Silversea did a nice job with solo travelers—-it was my first solo trip and I would not hesitate to do again.

Have a great trip! I loved my cruise.