Help -- I want to look nicer this time!

poppan

Hi everyone -- I am new to CC and have really enjoyed reading all your posts over the last few days -- you ladies are inspiring me!

By way of intro... I have been on 3 cruises before, on Costa and Princess. All three times (or maybe 2.5... by the last cruise I tried to pack nicer outfits), I didn't want to dress up on my vacation and only very grudgingly put on clothes good enough to go into the main dining room.

Well, two kids later I am cruising again, and I want to look nicer this time. I don't know what it is -- maybe it's that muffin top I have on top of my jeans, that 10 pounds I can't lose and the 5 more I gained in addition, or maybe the two years I spent at home with the kids wearing sweat pants all day. My old clothes don't fit, my closet is pretty bare, I really honestly need more clothes that I can wear to work anyway. It seems like a good opportunity for me to remake myself, and buy some things that I can wear both on the cruise and at home. I'm tired of being a schlub.

I don't even know what my question is -- I guess I just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone had any advice for me... what should I buy/bring? The cruise we are going on is 14 nights long with 3 formal nights. It's on X -- which I've heard is a little more formal than Princess? I can't pack too much (it will be two suitcases for DH, me and two toddlers). I am planning on doing laundry.

ON EDIT: forgot to say where we were going! Miami to San Diego in November. So I'm guessing fairly moderate weather... not too hot, not too cold.

Hi Poppan and welcome to CC!

Sounds like you're going to have some fun planning for your cruise! You'll probably have pretty warm weather for your sailing - and can certainly take summer clothes. Given the big sales out there now, you should be able to get some great deals on clothes to use now, on your cruise, and then again next summer!

We took a 12-nighter on Celebrity and I managed to pack not "too" much stuff (I think that's a relative term - my DH thought I packed enough for a sailing around the world ;) ). The key for me is finding pieces that all work together, and plan on wearing things more than once. I try to get clothes in the same colour families, so tops go with more than one skirt or short or capri. On cruises longer than a week I also plan on having things cleaned on the ship so that saves packing. So for example, I might bring a pair of navy shorts, a printed skirt that works with navy and four different tops ... that will do me for four days. I find that cotton skirts are fantastic with one top for dinner on casual evening, then off the ship the next day with a tank top and flat sandals. Double duty!

People do tend to dress up more on Celebrity and are more likely to follow the dress suggestions. That's not to say that everyone will be in ball gowns, but you'll find more women in dresses or evening outfits. If you wear a long gown you will fit right in. But you'd also be fine in a cocktail length dress or even evening slacks and dressy blouse or top. I generally take three dresses if there are three formal nights, but some people like to take evening slacks with different blouses. Others will bring one dress and wear it with different accessories on all three nights. I found a pair of beautiful ladies tuxedo pants a couple of years ago and have worn those before with a beaded top one night, and blouse another. Keep your eyes open for things like this that save space & can be worn more than once. For saving space on your DH's packing, you could bring one suit and one shirt. Just send it out to be cleaned. Far easier than packing 3 shirts & then trying to keep them crisp looking. (It's about $2 to have a shirt cleaned.)

So check out those sales and also go to consignment shops in your area - especially for things like dresses where you may not wear them often and won't want to invest too much.

Hope this helps!

Janine

Shorts for the daytime, capris or slacks for the "casual" evenings. Dress them up with some cute shirts that 'flow away" from your muffin top area....and aren't too long--hip length is probably best! Heels will really "dress up" capris.

Here are my wardrobe must-haves.. They are for work, everyday-life, and I bring a lot of them with me when cruising:

• Black leather pumps- you need a pair that are so comfortable that you are HAPPY to wear them.
  • Metallic shoes/sandals- they are neutrals and go with everything.
  • Slacks- One pair of black, brown & grey that each fit you really well and can be dressed up or dressed for work.
  • A wrap dress.. Flattering on the waist. Can be worn to work or to dinner of the cruise for a casual night.
  • Cardigans - Color is up to you.. but something you can bring to dinner on the cruise and goes over a fancy sleeveless top or can go over a cotton tee for work.
  • Colorful tops- All kinds. Tshirts, tops for dinner, tops with defined waistlines, embellished tops, etc.
  • Little Black Dress - This works especially well for cruises- you can wear it 2 nights but accessorize differently and make it 2 different outfits. Change it up with a belt, printed shoes, etc.
  • Jacket - Any type of jacket that gives you a cute waistline and can be dressed up is nice to have. You can wear it with slacks & a cute top to dinner. Or jeans & heels for a fun casual night.
  • Cute Pajamas - If you're going to re-make yourself, a cute pair of PJ's are in order.. I always buy a new pair for vaca :)

Have fun shopping. I hope you find great things. Keep in mind to purchase items that have multiple uses. Otherwise you'll end up with items that you have to wait all year to wear.

EDIT: I forgot to mention to get a few fun pieces of jewelry! It doesn't have to be expensive; some fun trendy pieces can add life to wardrobe staples.

Waterbaby gave you some great suggestions. And as cbatsea suggested, look for the flowy tops ~ there are a lot of them and shift dresses in stores. If you are looking for things you can wear on the cruise and at home, try Macys ~ brands like INC and Michael by Michael Kors. Most items are washable so easy and are great nicer casual pieces. Could be good for casual nights on the ship, and comfortable for around your house. Even with your casual dresses, you can put a pair of flip flops on with them and wear them on a shore excursion the next day if you don't want to pack a ton of stuff.

ON EDIT: forgot to say where we were going! Miami to San Diego in November. So I'm guessing fairly moderate weather... not too hot, not too cold.

That is the time of year we did a Panama Canal cruise (partial transit) and it was very steamy, so it can be pretty warm out on deck.

As far as clothes for the evening (Celebrity doesn't have a buffet in the evening) I would suggest separates, even for formal nights. If you can find some chiffon pants or a dressy skirt, those can be paired with different tops. A couple of casual skirts and pants with other tops for the other night would give you different looks. You can always wear something twice. It should be somewhat common on a sailing of this length. When DS was 3.5, we took him out of the clothes he wore to the dining room immediately afterward, and he wore them again.

While X doesn't have self-serve laundry, I would suggest taking some kind of liquid soap to hand wash a few things in the sink. And be sure to look for the "all you can stuff in this bag" for around $25 laundry special. If you roll the clothes tightly, you'd be amazed at what you can get in those bags!

As far as buying new clothes, I don't advise buying clothes just for cruising (except in my case formal wear, because I don't need any at home). If you are shopping anyway, shop with your everyday life in mind more than the cruise (afterall, there are only 3 formal nights and the rest are casual). But instead of sticking to a particular size, pay more attention to the cut and fit. If something is too tight, it doesn't lay or hang right, etc, go a size up to see if that helps. I find that we (me included) can get too hung up on a size instead of a good fit. Besides, if it pulls, is uncomfortable, or is too clingy in a certain place, you are less likely to wear it after you buy it, and therefore you've wasted money that could have been spent on something that fits and flatters you.

If you have a store near you with a personal shopper, use them. You don't have to buy a whole wardrobe at once and you should not feel pressured by them to purchase anything. If you don't have a personal shopper close by, take an honest friend or family member, or even someone you work with that always looks great. Avoid taking people who don't want to hurt your feelings by agreeing with you when you find something you like, but doesn't look good on you.

It sounds like you would be best by starting out with basic pieces. A little black dress, a pair of black (or other neutral color) slacks that fit, a really good pair of jeans that fit your body style, a skirt that flatters the shape you have. A nice white shirt that can go over a tank or be worn alone is a good investment and a jacket that can be worn with all of the above. A great pair of shoes (or 5!) and then start filling in from there.

Trendy clothes are fun, but don't spend a whole lot on them, the shelf life is too short. Same thing with "cruise clothes", if you won't wear it at home and unless you go on several cruises every year, they are out of style so quickly you'll want to get rid of them after 2 years of being unworn in the back of your closet.

Well fitting clothes is the key to looking slimmer. I noticed someone mentioned flowy tops, but be careful with those, they can make you look heavier than you are.

My shopping mantra is...if I don't love it and love the way it looks on me it goes back on the rack. I no longer buy just because something is a great price or "it will do"....it doesn't and even a good bargain is a total waste of money if you don't wear the item.

I typically buy things on sale, but if I need an item and I can find what I consider a good value, I will spend the extra money on it. A really good white shirt is an example of this. I love Foxcroft (Nordstrom) shirts, they fit well, look good, need little or no ironing and last years, full price is only around $50, but I've purchased cheaper brand white shirts that only last through 20 washings or so before they look ratty. Foxcroft shirts last through more than 200 washings. Same thing with TravelSmith white shirts, great quality for a fairly inexpensive price.

Avoid chain stores like Coldwater Creek. Instead go to places like Banana Republic or Ann Taylor or Talbots. Yes they cost a bit more, but the value comes into play here again. Every item I've ever purchased from Coldwater Creek is of inferior quality and not an investment piece. I know they are popular with a lot of the ladies here on CC and perhaps for one wearing they are, but you sound like you need to build a wardrobe, not buy a bunch of clothes to fill your closet.

You will need a couple pair of shorts and perhaps a few sundresses for your cruise. Now is a perfect time to shop for them, a little picked over but everything will be on sale right now. Think basics again, you will want these pieces for next summer as well!

It takes time and work and practise, but you will get there. Have fun shopping :)

poppan, all these posts from our wonderful CC family are right on!:)

Think simplicity and versatililty. My best piece of advice is to choose those things you really love and feel good in.

Following the advice given in these posts will allow for the same carefree attitude as your previous cruises with the added benefit of knowing you look great as well.

Just wanted to say THANKS for all the great ideas and suggestions. We are running out the door for a camping trip so apologies for the very short note. I appreciate everyone's replies soooo much! Thanks and I will be back to read/study later :)

Poppan,

I hope you had fun camping, although I still question whether "fun" and "camping" can be used in the same sentence....:D

Anyway - if you are going to go shopping, make sure you are purchasing colors that will make you look your best. This thread will help if you don't already know:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1011931

I used to think all this "season" stuff was a bunch of malarkey......but since I've figured it out, I'm a convert!! I don't go shopping without my color chart!:):)

Keep us posted, and welcome to Cruise Critic. You will get tons of awesome help here!!

Right now quite a few of the discount clothing stores like Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, are having their dresses on sale. If you have a Fashion Bug nearby, they are also having a dress sale. They have really nice lycra jersey dresses, and that material is very forgiving of a generously sized woman. I found some fantastic (and I mean fantastic) dresses for $11-$18 each.

These are easy to put on, comfy to wear, and pack like a dream. I bought two that have the "slimmer" panel in the midsection.

Back from camping... it was short but fun :D I guess that gives a clue to who I am... not long ago (pre-kids) I traveled 3 continents over 9 months -- living out of a single duffle bag the entire time. When I got home I could no longer understand why I had so much *stuff* and got rid of a lot of it. I am still that girl but now I want to be that girl *with style* :rolleyes:

Anyway -- again a big thank you for all the tips and suggestions. It was especially helpful to hear how you think about what to pack -- how to put outfits together and plan for how to wear the bottoms twice. It sounds so simple and obvious now that you say it -- but how I've packed in the past is to throw in any of my favorite tops and bottoms that also happen to be clean, and figure it out when I get there. It's hap-hazard, and I usually come home with a bunch of stuff I didn't wear -- either because I overpacked, or sometimes because nothing I packed went with it so I *couldn't* wear it.

The lists of basics was also very very helpful -- thank you! I needed something like that, like a Tim Gunn's list for real people. I think I have most of the basic-basic items already (well-fitting black skirt, black pants etc.) I am good at buying basics, but am pretty bad at getting stuff to go with it, and absolutely horrendous at picking out accessories.

I love the personal shopper idea but am a bit afraid also. I have a Nordstrom here and have thought about using that service before, but never got up the nerve. I don't know why I'm scared of it. I guess it feels a bit like walking onto a car lot -- even if they don't pressure me I will pressure myself to buy. Maybe I should walk in with cash and pay with cash and that way I won't go over what I want to spend. Do you think there is a minimum amount I should reasonably spend if I use their personal shopper (assuming I like what she picks out for me)?

I love the personal shopper idea but am a bit afraid also. I have a Nordstrom here and have thought about using that service before, but never got up the nerve. I don't know why I'm scared of it. I guess it feels a bit like walking onto a car lot -- even if they don't pressure me I will pressure myself to buy. Maybe I should walk in with cash and pay with cash and that way I won't go over what I want to spend. Do you think there is a minimum amount I should reasonably spend if I use their personal shopper (assuming I like what she picks out for me)?

I agree with you... I am a little intimidated to walk into a store and ask for help without knowing if I want to commit to purchasing what someone else picks out for me, especially not knowing what the price would be. And if I was to go that route, I'm not sure what a minimum amount of money to spend with the personal shopper would be. I wonder what others would say a minimum amount/percent to be.

The personal shoppers are really not much more than helpful sales people. And they don't care how much or little you buy. But, they know the stock and can show you selections you may not have thought of trying plus the fact they and the sales crew will do the legwork for you, sometimes you just have to stay in the fitting room and try on!

Of course, I haven't used one in so long I don't even know if they still have this service, they have cut staff in Nordstrom along with the rest of the world :(

Even if you go and befriend a sales clerk, they are there to help you and not just in Nordstrom! Tell them of your desire, take some of your basic pieces shopping with you, let them help! My SIL used to work in a clothing store just because she loved clothes so much, she didn't need the employment. She had a great time helping people and showing them how to accessorize. Her sales would end up being more than the average, but the customer left happy, not feeling as though she spent too much money. You can also learn what looks good on you and it will cut back the amount of time you shop, you will know in an instant some of the things that will work.

Just keep a few things in mind. Buy quality (always looking for a sale) and don't buy what you would not wear at home, by that I mean going out for dinner, to work, to a party, etc... Never settle for a piece you aren't in love with, that's what ends up unworn in the back of the closet and takes away from your clothing budget.

That's a great idea to bring some of my basic pieces and ask for help. I'll call ahead too and ask if they still have personal shoppers. I am screwing up the courage to give this a try! I really need help with putting outfits together.

And thanks to the person who pointed me to Curt's color/season thread. What an eye opener! I think I'm an Autumn but not 100% sure as some of the summer colors (the reds and berries) are ones I always thought looked great on me. I posted some photos over there if any of you have time to take a look -- am I an Autumn? In some ways I hope not because most of my favorite things to wear are in black or in the summer palette...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20941708&postcount=268

And thanks to the person who pointed me to Curt's color/season thread.

You are welcome!!:)

I'm glad to see you found it and are having fun figuring out your season. I'm not the one to answer your question - cause Curt had to figure it out for me....:o

But when he sees your pictures - I'm sure it will take him a New York second to know the answer.....

Hang in there - he's been out of town but I know he'll get back to the season thread eventually, and probably find this one too....:D:p

I was in the same boat last March. Years of staying home with the kids and all I have is extremely casual pants with t-shirts, most of it not at all flattering to my now middle age figure.

I do love Coldwater Creek and have found the items to be of very high quality. Of course, everyone has their own opinion. ;) I buy clothes from them online in their outlet and get some great deals. They have great deals and the clothes are very grown up without being frumpy. Other choices are out there too..Just find a store you love and go online to see if they have an outlet. Often you can return items that don't fit to the local store saving you shipping charges on returns.

Zappos is a great place for quality shoes. I have a huge pile of cheap shoes and I wear maybe two pairs...ever! So I made a decision to buy a few pairs of really nice shoes in classic styles rather than piles of cheap shoes. With Zappos, you can buy the shoes, try them on and return them free of charge if they don't fit or you don't like them. You can also read reviews which is really important to me since I won't buy shoes I can't walk in or dance in.

Also, check out the local stores and boutiques. I have found some great sales, especially at the end of seasons, like now. With the economy struggling, many of the shops are selling last seasons items at great prices.

I do recommend that you not go too far outside your style though. I bought a dress at the recommendation of my husband and a girlfriend. It looked lovely on me but it wasn't my style. I felt uncomfortable the entire time I wore it during formal night on the cruise. On the other hand, I bought a bunch of on-sale capris from Coldwater Creek and love them. While I have not tossed the jeans and cargo capris, I now have some pretty dressier capris I can wear at home. People have commented on how nice I look..I guess I looked pretty bad before!

I have a great deal of experience with Nordstrom's personal shopping service and I heartily recommend them. Please don't be intimidated -- they're there, obviously, to sell things and earn money, but they are also doing this particular type of selling because they really love developing relationships with people and helping customers create wardrobes. Call your nearest Nordstrom and ask for "Personal Touch" (that's the name of the personal shopping department) -- you can then discuss over the phone what your needs are (although they can be really busy, so be prepared to have to leave a message and wait for a callback -- explain briefly in your message what you're looking for so the admin who picks up voicemail will know which consultant would be best for you), and then when you go in for your appointment, they'll have already selected things for you to try in advance, and will pull more when they actually lay eyes on you and in case nothing they grabbed strikes your fancy. You should certainly not hesitate to be upfront with them about your budget: after all, they don't want to waste their time pulling couture dresses any more than you want to fork over the money for a couture dress!!

So I made the call. My "local" Nordstrom no longer has a personal shopper, but the one that's a tiny bit farther still does. I made an appointment for tomorrow. She asked me:

- what I was looking for (I said mix-n-match clothes for a casual workplace and I would bring in a few basic bottoms)

- my size for tops & bottoms

- my height

- what colors I liked and didn't like

She said it will probably be an hour. I'll let you all know how it goes! Thanks for suggesting this option and encouraging me to try it.

Here are my wardrobe must-haves.. They are for work, everyday-life, and I bring a lot of them with me when cruising:

• Cute Pajamas - If you're going to re-make yourself, a cute pair of PJ's are in order.. I always buy a new pair for vaca :)

I just bought this today! I like silk or silk-like nighties that come just above the knee. Not too long, not too short. I have 2, but one is a little too sexy for sharing a room with my sister, the other is getting kind of worn. I stopped by JC Penney tonight and found one that's exactly what I had it mind and fits perfectly. It's not silk, but a better poly that feels like silk. It's off-white with small black polka dots all over it and a little bit of black lace trim at the top with adjustable straps. Best part is that is was on sale for $15.99! It feels great and it looks great!

So I made the call. My "local" Nordstrom no longer has a personal shopper, but the one that's a tiny bit farther still does. I made an appointment for tomorrow. She asked me:

- what I was looking for (I said mix-n-match clothes for a casual workplace and I would bring in a few basic bottoms)

- my height

She said it will probably be an hour. I'll let you all know how it goes! Thanks for suggesting this option and encouraging me to try it.

You're welcome. Good luck, and have fun!

- my height

Good for you! That's awesome. I look forward to hearing how the experience goes for you and if the shopper was able to choose items that you love. Please keep us posted. :)

Archived