St. John "On Your Own" Tour

tinkerbell1984

I will definitely come back and post details of our experience. To be clear, we've booked just the "St. John On Your Own" excursion, which includes nothing but the transportation between St. Thomas and St. John. I have gone to St. John before using the ferry, so I'm anxious to determine if this cruise ship transportation option is a good option. If it provides us with 4.5-5 hours on St. John, I'd say that it is, as it's less costly, less complex and less worrisome than using the ferry system.

It will be a little while (sorry), as our cruise is not until mid-February 2018.

Is it celebrity st John on your own? You gather in a meeting spot off of cruise ship. Then you get wrist bands for your excursion. Then you walk over to ferry which is close to cruise ship. Ferry over to st John. Then there are cabs lined up to take you to trunk or cinnamon bay. You pay for the cab yourself and for your food. Usually you are there until 330pm when ferry leaves to take you back. Trunk and cinnamon are about 10 to 15 minutes if that. Trunk charges fee to get it. Cinnamon does not. Both have places to eat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Is it celebrity st John on your own? You gather in a meeting spot off of cruise ship. Then you get wrist bands for your excursion. Then you walk over to ferry which is close to cruise ship. Ferry over to st John. Then there are cabs lined up to take you to trunk or cinnamon bay. You pay for the cab yourself and for your food. Usually you are there until 330pm when ferry leaves to take you back. Trunk and cinnamon are about 10 to 15 minutes if that. Trunk charges fee to get it. Cinnamon does not. Both have places to eat.

Great Thank you!.....this is the email I got from Royal Caribbean today.

St. John On Your Own

Meet guide and walk down pier to ferry/vessel 0:15

Ferry transfer over to Cruz bay St. John 0:45

Leisure time in St. John to "SELF EXPLORE" 4:00

Return Ferry back to ship 0:45

Enjoy a scenic ferry ride along St. Thomas' picturesque southern coast, then shop, sightsee or snorkel the azure waters of St. John. You'll spend at least 4 hours freely exploring the beautiful isle which is 2/3rd National Park.. Swim at a local beach, see the "Arawak" archaeological site, or follow the snorkel trail at Trunk Bay. Browse boutiques or dine in Cruz Bay. After a great day of leisure enjoy your private ferry back to ship

Please note that entrances or additional transfers needed are not included.

Best regards,

Rosemary Lemcke

Shore Excursionse Inquiry Team | Global Tour Operations | Royal Caribbean International | Celebrity Cruises | Azamara Club Cruises

So this was our experience...

We did the St John's on you own excursion through RCCL.

When comparing the excursion to heading to Red Hook on our own, we ended up with the same amount of time on St John, saved a couple of $, stressed out a lot less, and had a great day.

When we arrived at Cruz Bay, we hopped on one of the open-air taxis (once it was loaded with other passengers) and headed to Trunk Bay. We took the shuttle back to Cruz Bay about an hour prior to the recommended time and walked around shops and enjoyed a fabulous cucumber/jalapeno martini prior to getting back on the ferry to go back to the ship.

The biggest positive of using the excursion was that once the ferry brought us back, we were at the pier and ready to get onto the ship. I am the type who would stress about the cab ride from red hook and ultimately short our day on St. John as a result.

The negative of the excursion ferry (and might be applicable to the red hook ferry) is that only about half of the seating is covered. We lingered over our martinis watching everyone boarding the ferry, hopped on the ferry at the last minute and took a couple of spots on the bow. Halfway back to St Thomas the skies opened up and we were completely drenched. The covered area down below was standing room only and full of cranky people who wouldn't make room for anyone else (those beach bags could definitely not go at their feet). We ended up enjoying the rain and let the cranky folks enjoy their togetherness down below!

The moral of the story... if you want a low stress day...take the excursion. If you want the flexibility to adjust the timing of your day, head to red hook.

beachluver9:

Thanks for the additional details!!! You sound a lot like me! Do you remember what time you needed to meet the boat in Cruz Bay to return to the ship?

I am pretty sure it was 3pm, but I am not 100% positive. We felt like we had more than enough time at Trunk Bay and did not feel rushed. If we had to go to Red Hook we would have had to leave an hour sooner.

• 2 weeks later...
I am pretty sure it was 3pm, but I am not 100% positive. We felt like we had more than enough time at Trunk Bay and did not feel rushed. If we had to go to Red Hook we would have had to leave an hour sooner.

Just did the same excursion as Beachluver did - last week through RCL. We were on the Adventure of the Seas. You have to be back at Cruz Bay by 3pm. It was totally worth it for $29USD pp.

We went to Trunk Bay and it was beautiful. I agree it was more than enough time. It was a fun day.

Just a warning - with the open air safaris when you want to get back to the ferry to take you back to the ship - make sure you are clear as to which one you want to go back to.

We told the driver but he dropped us off on another dock - it was a 5 minute walk to where we were supposed to be dropped off but we didn't know it and luckily a local told the driver our situation and he willingly dropped us at the proper spot!!

• 3 months later...
However, I think it's even worth it just for the sake of not having to worry about traffic, which ferry to catch (will you get a seat? etc). I'm looking at it again for next March and it looks like the price for us would be $39, but I still think we'd do it for ease since Celebrity docks at the further from town Crown Bay (vs closer to town Havensight).

I hope the excursion goes well for you and that my estimates were fairly close - would love to get an update upon your return, Printingchick!

I revisited this thread after learning that Royal now docks at Crown Bay, which is obviously further than Havensight. I'm hoping to hear from folks to did this excursion from that pier to get some rough idea of the timeline.

As an update, they DID cancel our $29 month ago, with an implausible explanation that not enough people had booked. (Embarkation day was still five or six months away!!) I'm now realizing that the price increase had to do with the pier change, as the new cost of $39 matches what Celebrity charges from Crown Bay. (Ironically, I recently checked just to make absolutely sure the excursion was still being offered in February 2018, and it's not listed at $49!! Given the longer taxi ride to Red Hook, I suspect the price still pretty closely mimics the cost of the more stressful do-it-yourself option.)

If anyone has done this excursion from Crown Bay, please provide details of your experience. What time did you depart? How far did you travel to get to the transfer vehicle? How long did it take to get to St. John? How long were you able to spend on the island? What time did you need to catch the transfer boat back to the ship? It's difficult to plan out a DIY day on St. John without knowing the timing! Any information you can provide would be much appreciated.

Great Thank you!.....this is the email I got from Royal Caribbean today.

St. John On Your Own

Meet guide and walk down pier to ferry/vessel 0:15

Ferry transfer over to Cruz bay St. John 0:45

Leisure time in St. John to "SELF EXPLORE" 4:00

Return Ferry back to ship 0:45

Enjoy a scenic ferry ride along St. Thomas' picturesque southern coast, then shop, sightsee or snorkel the azure waters of St. John. You'll spend at least 4 hours freely exploring the beautiful isle which is 2/3rd National Park.. Swim at a local beach, see the "Arawak" archaeological site, or follow the snorkel trail at Trunk Bay. Browse boutiques or dine in Cruz Bay. After a great day of leisure enjoy your private ferry back to ship

Please note that entrances or additional transfers needed are not included.

Best regards,

Rosemary Lemcke

Shore Excursionse Inquiry Team | Global Tour Operations | Royal Caribbean International | Celebrity Cruises | Azamara Club Cruises

Great info! Thanks!

I have gone both ways but from Crown Bay my opinion is the ship excursion explore on your own is better. Not a lot of difference in money but less risk. The times listed seem right. In the past there was plenty of local open air cabs.

That said since the hurricane I am not sure what you will find on St Johns. In theory the beaches never had much anyway other than some restroom and changing area and a small stand to get food or drinks. I am sure the Beach is there but not about the other.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
I did the "St John on your own" a few weeks ago but it was from Celebrity. I will use the ferry next time.

It is not as complicated as it sounds, even with 2 kids. You didn't mention their ages but if they are too young to handle their own bags or are in a stroller you probably don't want to go to St John anyway.

Catch a cab to Red Hook - very simple, you will not be alone. Catch the next ferry, it will drop you off where the ships excursion would have. Catch a cab to Trunk Bay. They are all right there ready to go.

Just reverse on the way back and catch an early enough ferry to get you back. The 3 pm ferry seems to be popular. When you get to St Thomas there will be cabs waiting to take you back to the pier.

You should be fine and will not be alone as many others will be doing the same thing.

Any idea on how much the cab rides were? Just want to make sure to bring enough cash!

Has anyone taken the "On Your Own" tour through RCCL since they did the last round of cancellations/changed the tour to "St. John On Your Own - STY4"?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=STY4

Currently booked for next month, but the excursion is only scheduled for 4 hours, from 8:30a-12:30p and the ship is in St. Thomas until 6pm.

Seems to be a bit short on time on St. John given the duration of the time in port and different than the duration michelle028 previous posted.

Edited by scubagoober
Adding Link to Excursion

Has anyone taken the "On Your Own" tour through RCCL since they did the last round of cancellations/changed the tour to "St. John On Your Own - STY4"?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=STY4

Currently booked for next month, but the excursion is only scheduled for 4 hours, from 8:30a-12:30p and the ship is in St. Thomas until 6pm.

Seems to be a bit short on time on St. John given the duration of the time in port and different than the duration michelle028 previous posted.

I am curious about this as well! It has a disclaimer that the hours could be adjusted based on the time in port..going mid-February!

I just called. I have this excursion booked for the February cruise. I called twice in order to talk to two different customer service reps. Both indicated this now runs only four hours total with only 2 hours on St. John. I'm now reconsidering the Red Hook ferry. Two hours on St. John is nowhere near long enough!

Hi readers,

What would you do?

After a ton of research, including reading this thread, I could use your advice from anyone who has recently done the RCCL(or similar ship) St. John On Your Own Excursion vs. going completely on your own? Yes, this has been discussed here, but I have a particular timeline, and also would like feedback from someone who was very recently in St. John doing the excursion and others who have been recently to St. John taking independent ferries to comment on roads/ travel time, etc.

We have been to Trunk Bay in the past, and it is a beautiful beach. I think we spent more time there in the past with the cruise ship excursion, so now I am trying to figure out what to do since this is a 4 hour total day with the shore excursion.

I am more concerned about amount of time spent at Trunk than the cost, but included the cost for other readers.

I have 4 bolded short questions below. Thanks.

------------------------------------------

Background info:

On Allure of Seas, Feb. 21. In port from 10am until 7pm.

Travelling with three adults

RCCL $39 per person

St. John on your own excursion

Looking for a beach day and to snorkel (just amateur - have own equipment)

---------------------------------------------------------

Tour begins at 1pm

4 total hours (what brochure states)

Ferry direct from ship to Cruz Bay, St John

Taxi from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay Add $6 per person

Admission to Trunk Bay Add $5 per person

So: $39 + 6 + 5 = $50 total per person

I'm estimating based on other posters:

1pm-1:15 gather all people together and get on direct ferry to Cruz Bay

1:15- 2:00 ferry to Cruz bay St. John

2- 2:30 wait and take cab to Trunk Bay/ pay admission

2:30-3:30 1 hour Trunk Bay

3:30 -4:00 Get cab back to Cruz Bay

4-4:45pm direct ferry to ship

1. Does anyone know what time passengers on this excursion are asked to be back at Cruz Bay for the return ferry to Allure?

2. Taking all the worry away by going with the shore excursion sounds great, but is it really only 1 hour on the beach to allow time to take cab back to Cruz for the direct ferry?

VS.

Trunk Bay/ St. John Really On Your Own:

40 min taxi to Red Hook -- About $10 per person one way

15 min ferry to Cruz Bay - $7 per person

30 min to Trunk Bay - $6 per person

Admission to Trunk Bay - $5 person

So: $10 + 7+ 6 + 5 - $28.

The ferries to Cruz Bay only run on the hour in the afternoon.

3. Any CC readers who have recently taken cab to Red Hook - is it really 40 minutes taxi? I'm reading due to hurricane damage that it can be much longer (?)

4. If I want to be back on board by 5:30pm, and if I want longer than 1 hour at Trunk, would I need to leave at 10:45am ?

10:45 - 11:00 get cab (could take time in case have to wait to fill up the cab)

11:00 - 11:45 drive to Red Hook

11:45 - 12:00 get to Red Hook and get ferry to Cruz Bay (if lucky enough to get the 12 oclock ferry)

12- 12:20 ferry to Cruz Bay

12:20 - 12:50 cab to Trunk Bay and admission to beach

12:50 - 3 :00 each 2. hours at beach

3:00- 3:30 cab from Trunk to Cruz Bay ferry

4 - 4:20 ferry to Red Hook

4:30 - 5:30 cab to Crown Bay

Am I miscalculating something?

Seems like I have to leave a lot earlier to add one hour at Trunk?

It is not our intention to follow the timeline to the minute -- I just was trying to figure out the shore excursion vs truly on our own and the pluses and minuses to both.

I would be concerned about meeting all times for ferry/cab, etc. so leaving early enough to get back.

Would you do the shore excursion or the St, John really on your own way.

I hope this is helpful to others and look forward to your responses.

Thank you very much:)

Docking at Crown Bay is further from Red Hook so your time on St John as a cruiser is very limited. Last year Royal Caribbean docked at Havensight which is closer to St John and Red Hook, but you still need transport from the dock to get to them.

Why do you want to go to St John? If you want to check it off a list, the time there shouldn't matter. If you want to enjoy a beautiful beach, the ship excursion sounds too rushed to me. If you only want beautiful beach time I would stay on St Thomas or go to Water Island.

I just called. I have this excursion booked for the February cruise. I called twice in order to talk to two different customer service reps. Both indicated this now runs only four hours total with only 2 hours on St. John. I'm now reconsidering the Red Hook ferry. Two hours on St. John is nowhere near long enough!

I called yesterday as well and in 2/13, when we will be in St.Thomas, the excursion is scheduled 11am-3pm...we are in port 8am-6pm..I am bummed and debating just doing St. Thomas on our own for the day instead 😕

Thank you for your responses -- keep them coming!

MS411 - When you say that docking at Crown Bay is further than Red Hook, what does that mean?

In other words, when I get off the Allure, can I take a cab right there directly to Red Hook, or do I have to take a cab to Charlotte A. and then another cab to Red Hook?

I am figuring on a direct 45 minute taxi from Crown Bay to Red Hook. Is that enough travel time ?????

After the hurricane, I read that roads might have more traffic than usual, so that's why I'm wondering from a recent traveler about recommendations.

So, if a ship were to go to Havensight, -- just curious -- how much less would it be in taxi time?

Thanks to all for your expertise.

Not giving up totally on Trunk Bay, but CC readers: If you couldn't go to St. John /Trunk Bay, where would you go on St. Thomas which had a nice beach with snorkeling with reliable taxi service? Not too crowded. Coki seems crowded. Sapphire Beach?

I am so aggravated that they changed the times for this excursion. I've done it 2x on celebrity and loved it. Now it's 4 hours? I just realized after reading this that the port is farther from red hook. This is going to be a doozy in a couple of months when I attempt st john.

So glad everyone is posting experiences here. Thank you so much. We're traveling in mid-February. As we approached final payment, we were closely following the reparation efforts on St. John, debating whether or not to cancel this cruise. St. John factored heavily into our decision to choose this itinerary. I booked the St. John On Your Own excursion, based on posts here and a discussion with RCL customer service. As some have mentioned, the excursion has recently changed. Instead of four hours on the island, it's four hours total, including transportation. I called, twice, yesterday and then had my travel agent call to confirm. The excursion ENDS at 12:30!! We can't do what we want to do on the island in two hours. We're now planning on the Red Hook ferry. I've done St. John this way before, but I recognize there could be delays post-storms. Anyone done St. John from St. Thomas using the Red Hook ferry since the storms? Was the ferry running reliably to the posted schedule? How was traffic between Crown Bay and Red Hook? Drive time is estimated at 30 minutes, but I"m figuring more like 45, which cuts it a bit close. We dock at 8AM and want to be on that 9AM ferry. Feasible? Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Please don't suggest we just stay on St. Thomas. We WANT to visit St. John and are looking for the most reliable way to do that while allowing us at least four hours on the island.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree, Maverick509. I believe you're on my sailing, so I'm afraid a report of my experience will be too late to help you. However, if you want to grab a cab to Red Hook together immediately upon docking in St. Thomas, let me know. I understand it's a little more costly to use a private cab, but maybe more affordable shared among more people. My husband and I are on Adventure of the Seas departing on 2/17.