Tours to Loch Ness

It’s a “lake”.

I’m still trying to capture a Yeti.

We have traveled to the Loch, I wasn’t impressed, but we did not do a tour. (Except of the ruins) A tour certainly would include more sites along the way to the loch.

We enjoyed our tour with Invergordon Tours last summer. We started off driving to Urquhart Castle. We had time there to tour the castle before boarding a boat for a ride on Loch Ness. It was very scenic. We then reboarded our tour van--I think it held around 20 people--and drove through Inverness on our way to a place for lunch. It was extra--soup and sandwiches. We drove past Culloden Moor. I think they have time to stop some of the time but did not for us. We did have time to tour Clava Cairns and Cawdor Castle. The latter felt a little rushed.

We took a Ship Tour last fall that included a cruise along Loch Ness. Like geoherb we started with a scenic drive to Urqhart Castle, which I just loved. It’s a magnificent ruin, very picturesque although crowded with cruise passengers.

We always enjoy taking river cruises in places we visit, so the cruise along the lake was a nice fit. The tour probably included some others stops, but those were the highlights.

We enjoyed our tour with Invergordon Tours last summer. We started off driving to Urquhart Castle. We had time there to tour the castle before boarding a boat for a ride on Loch Ness. It was very scenic. We then reboarded our tour van--I think it held around 20 people--and drove through Inverness on our way to a place for lunch. It was extra--soup and sandwiches. We drove past Culloden Moor. I think they have time to stop some of the time but did not for us. We did have time to tour Clava Cairns and Cawdor Castle. The latter felt a little rushed.

We did the same tour with them years ago but with only 7 of us. It was good but not as good as our Greenock private tour. You'll see a lot more if you go with a private tour vs. a cruiseline tour. Your roll call is the best place to find a private tour to join IF there's still room. They usually book up many months in advance but it's worth a try.

In 2013 we used Invergordon Tours too. We did the boat ride first and the driving second. Not only did we get time to visit Culloden Moor and Cawdor Castle but our driver - a self admitted golf fiend who had even traveled to the US to play in amateur tournaments - asked if anyone in the van played or followed golf. Four out of 7 passengers (not me) said yes and he offered to make a quick stop at the Castle Stuart Golf Links which hosted the Scottish Open in 2012 and 2013. Some of the folks in the van had actually seen parts of the tournament on TV and were thrilled. He ran inside and got permission for us to accompany him around the first couple of greens. The scenery was spectacular and he was so tickled that even the non-golfers enjoyed the stop.

Four of us just returned from our British Isles cruise two weeks ago and used Invergordon Shore Excursions with Allen as our guide. He took us to Cawdor Castle, where we not only saw the castle but got the inside scoop from Allen about the duchess who lives there . Then we went to the Culloden battlefield ( my hubby is a big Outlander fan) and drove around the countryside looking at highland cows and horses. We then went by Castle Stuart and around Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle. This was a great private tour and much cheaper than anything similar that Princess offered. Oh, and by the way, Loch Ness was the least memorable part of the day. It looks just like many of the big lakes in our area. Enjoy your cruise! It is wonderful but plan ahead.