Children In the Elevator

I got this from:'ask a cruise question board'

Lets see how we do here icon_wink.gif

Children acting up and pushing all the floor buttons .

How do you handle it>>>>

Alaska (my BIG 50)Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Hi Folgy,

I would threaten to tell somebody who cares, and then follow through and actually do it. We actually never use the elevators (although I'm sure I'll want at least one ride in those glass elevators on the Serenade this summer). A lot of people probably don't think that pushing elevator buttons is a big deal and just a childish prank, but think of all of the people who cruise who atually DO need to use the elevators and have no way to use the stairs...

***Nancy***

Song of Norway 12/79

Tropicale 12/84

Explorer of the Seas 8/3/02

Mariner of the Seas 1/4/04

Serenading to Alaska for our 10th anniversary!

Roll call for Serenade 8/1/04 click here

Time until our next cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;8;1;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Nancy,

*smile*

I have been tripped by many a child hoarding up or down the stairwells..let alone the the elevators.

Alaska (my BIG 50)Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Yeah, I know... we were on the Mariner in January and there were a lot of kids just hanging out on the stairs! You'd think they'd get a clue and please move without being told to, but UGGGGGHHHH! I kind of wish RCI didn't have that "check myself out of the kids' program" for the older kids. (And I'm a mother of a 4 year old) Either keep the kids in there and have them supervised, or the parents need to take charge and supervise their own children... Yes, I know parents need a break, too, but if it's a family vacation, make it a family vacation... otherwise leave the kids at home. DD went with us in January and loved the kids' program, but is staying home with Grandma and Grandpa this August.

Hope you had a great weekend!

***Nancy***

Song of Norway 12/79

Tropicale 12/84

Explorer of the Seas 8/3/02

Mariner of the Seas 1/4/04

Serenading to Alaska for our 10th anniversary!

Roll call for Serenade 8/1/04 click here

Time until our next cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;8;1;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0700

I've had it happen a few times. I usually say something like "gosh.. what did you guys do today? Are you bored?". Sometimes they coverse with me.. the real little ones look frightened.

Maureen

MS Maasdam 10/30/2004

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

Mariner of the Seas 10/16/2005

I find the Serenade and Jewell to have too few and too slow elevators and so the kids or adults pressing buttons is annoying. On deck 11 (Windjammer) deck 4 (dining)and deck 2 (port calls) you end up waiting quite a while, 13 minutes in one case. We timed it just to see if the wait was our imagination. We finally started using the stairs. The out facing elevators are nice, but since the elevators are often packed, people look at the door. Even later in the evening when things slowed down we still looked at the door even though in the Baltic is light almost 24 hours. I would have preferred they put in more elevators even if we had to forgo the glass ones.

Jewel of the Sea May 2004

Serenade of the Sea August 2003

Splendour of the Sea August 1999

Legend of the Sea August 1997

Rotterdam May 1989

I tell them like it is and they usually get off the elevator. I then proceed to tell my kids what was wrong with whatever just happened and they'll be sorry if I ever catch them doing stuff like that. For instance, when we went on the Vision over Spring Break three teenagers came on the elevator and started pouring sugar packets on the floor. I told them not to do that, and someone had to clean it up. They procedded to tell me that was what they were paid for and I fired back with that doesn't make it right. Anyways, it got them off the elevator and my kids volunteered to pick up the sugar packets that were on the floor. I work at a school and have no problem enforcing good behavior when it's needed.

Misty

Group Cruise Info for the Serenade - Alaska - 08/07/05 - Come and Join the fun!!. http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=877100712

Roll Call for the Grandeur 12/18/04. Come join us in New Orleans for the Christmas Season!! http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=389105961&r=699105961#699105961

Serenade of the Seas / Alaska / 08-07-05

Grandeur of the Seas / W. Caribbean / 12-18-04

Vision of the Seas / Mexico / 04-04-04

Radiance of the Seas /Alaska /07-05-03

hum... after 12 cruises, never have had this problem...

Monarch of the Seas 09/92

Majesty of the Seas 11/93,11/95

Sovereign of the Seas 09/94

Grandeur of the Seas 11/99,11/00,06/01,02/02,05/04

Navigator of the Seas 12/02,11/04

Rhapsody of the Seas 06/03

Radiance of the Seas 11/03

Hi gambler,

I guess you have been very lucky to sail on ships where this has not happened.

I have had it all happen at one time or another on our 20 cruises. The worst is when they sit on the stairs and will not move to let people walk up or down. That is bad enough, but they also line the both sides of the stairs so that there is no rail to hold on to.

As a senior, I do like to hold on to the railing. icon_wink.gif

I have seen people in wheelchairs waiting forever because the kids just keep going up and down and refuse to get out. The wheelchairs can not get in.

It is really sad to know that the parents of these children are somewhere else on the ship having a good time for themselves. icon_frown.gif

12/06/04 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;12;6;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

THE EMPRESS OF THE SEAS. VISIT OUR ROLL CALL HERE time98.gif

[This message was edited by Alexis on 06-14-04 at 01:13 AM.]

Haha, on my last cruise, we had the opposite problem. The elderly guests would lean against the panel with the floor buttons (accidentally I am sure), and end up pressing all the buttons with their back. Amazingly, this seemed to happen all the time, at least once a day on an elevator I was riding. Of course, then the conversation became "I don't know what's wrong with the elevators on this ship - always stopping on every floor...". I ended up leaving and just taking the stairs.

--Jacquelyn Hyde icon_biggrin.gif

Read my Detailed Explorer Review!!

Read my Detailed Brilliance Review!! Brilliance "Hump" Cabin Photos (Room 9092)!

Click for aft Royal Family Suite (Cat AA) photos!

icon_cool.gifWe always take the stairs also. . .We find it quicker, and it is a good way to work off those extra calories. I understand that some people have health problems and can not do stairs, but taking the stairs works for us.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;7;11;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

till we sail ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS,

My husband, who is a HS teacher, usually uses his "teacher" voice. All the kids will then run in ten different directions! LOL!!

Now when he uses it on ME! Well, we won't go there...LOL!!

We're going on our (only) second cruise very soon and I plan on using the stairs as much as I can so I can eat multiple desserts!!!

If this happened and I witnessed it I'd know in my heart of hearts they were little devils and smile to myself. I did this once or twice myelf at their age too.

But I don't think they would be dopey enough to do this stuff in front of me. That's the stuff you do when no one is looking...just as you are running to get off of the elevator. Heck, they don't want to be stuck on it at every floor getting the hairy eyeball from everyone who gets on! icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Haha, on my last cruise, we had the opposite problem. The elderly guests would lean against the panel with the floor buttons (accidentally I am sure), and end up pressing all the buttons with their back. Amazingly, this seemed to happen all the time, at least once a day on an elevator I was riding. Of course, then the conversation became "I don't know what's wrong with the elevators on this ship - always stopping on every floor...". I ended up leaving and just taking the stairs.

--Jacquelyn Hyde

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This has happened to us too. Not only did their backs touch all the floors but kept touching the doors open button, which kept the door from closing. (Which they thought was funny) We were pinned in the back and couldn't get off. We even said excuse me. Hubby and I are both big people. They refused to move. I finally very rudely told these people that this would not happen if they wouldn't squeeze into such a small spot. Well this elderly lady turned to say something. When she saw the look on my face, and the look on the hubby's face, that whole group piled out at the next floor. Several people complained about this group that pushed and shoved their way through the entire cruise. That is until the crossed our paths. They would move out of our way after that.

Same thing with the kids that refuse to move from the stairwell. The first time, they didn't move hubby tried to calmly talk to them about it. Well he didn't get the response we were expecting. The next time, we took matter into our own hands. We did not resort to violence, however, we both made sure they understood the consequences of refusing to move out the way. One parent actually approached us and said thats what teens do. Hubby said and what I did, is what adults do, to rude children. Needless to say, we didn't see too many more kids crowding the stairs. Matter of fact, some of the crew actually thanked my hubby. My hubby, used to be a professional body gaurd for some very famous people in the music industry. He always looks angry even when he's not. The look usually gets people first, then the size.

<marquee>Joycelyn</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until we try The Monarch of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;1;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until the Mariner of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas - January 23, 2005 Roll Call...Please Join Us

Tss Festivale 1984

Carnival Tropical 1993

Voyager of the Seas 2001

Carnival Ecstasy 2002

Vision of the Seas 2002

Radiance of the Seas 2004

Boy...we've been there and done that with kids in the elevators...stairs...everywhere!

Once I got upset with the same group of boys about 9 or 10, that when we got in the elevator with them and when it stopped on the next deck, I looked straight at them and said "this is your floor, you better get out" They did and we never saw them again.

Soveriegn 92

Majesty 95

Granduer 97

Rhapsody 00

Vision 02

Radiance 03

Brilliance 04

We only take elevators if we are more than four floors away from our destination. I have spoken to kids about leaving the elevators for older passengers. They usually will comply, at least as long as we can see them.

Kathy

I love the suggestion about duct-taping them up! Excellent idea!! Then, how about the chianti and fava beans! icon_rolleyes.gif

Actually last year, 2 loud and obnoxious kids got in a crowded elevator with me. As the door closed, one of the boys' arm went up and I just KNEW he was going to hit all the buttons and get out when the doors opened up. Since I was standing right behind the "little darling", I grabbed his arm and said "don't do it!". He looked incredulous that someone has stopped him and they both ran off at the next floor. HA!

(26 prior cruises & 2 flights on Concorde)

It has been said that angels, while on Earth,

aren't allowed to show their wings,

but nothing was ever said

about not showing their whiskers. <^..^>

On our last cruise in January, we saw kids playing in the elevators just pushing buttons and we went to Guest Relations to report them. GR was not happy and went right over to put a stop to it. Didn't stay to what happened after that.

Diane

Until we leave for Jewel Transatlantic!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;8;31;14;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we leave for Jewel Caribbean!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;1;14;14;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Jewel 01/05

Jewel 9/04

Navigator 1/04

Navigator 1/03

Brilliance 9/02

Radiance 1/02

Grandeur 1/01

Rhapsody 1/99

Oceanic 89

Archived