Spencer Ambrose or Celebrity excursion to the Pitons - need help deciding please!!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:06 AM.
#21
Virginia
10 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by LSuzQ
Not yet. Sometimes there’s a size restriction, so if they don’t come through, is there a link that can be shared, or just a subset of pics?
Sorry for the trouble.
Susie
Hey Bob,
Photos did not materialize. Is there a shareable link to the video?
Many of hanks,
Susie
[email protected]
#22
las vegas
705 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
I sent again tonight!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



SYMPHONY OF THE SEAS-DEC 2018-7 DAY EASTERN
PRINCESS-EMERALD-ALASKA-AUG 2018- 7 DAY
CELEBRITY- REFLECTION- DEC 2017- 10 DAY SOUTHERN
CELEBRITY- REFLECTION -DEC 2016 -7 DAY WESTERN
PRINCESS-ROYAL PRINCESS-DEC 2013-7 DAY EASTERN
RCCL-MARINER OF THE SEAS-DEC 2009- 7 DAY MEXICO
PRINCESS-EMERALD OF THE SEAS-NOV 2008 -10 DAY SOUTHERN
RCCL-LIBERTY OF THE SEAS-NOV 2007-7 DAY EASTERN
PRINCESS-CARIBBEAN PRINCESS-NOV 2006-10 DAY SOUTHERN
RCCL-RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS-OCT-2000-7 DAY MEXICO
RCCL-SONG OF AMERICA-1984- 7 DAY EASTERN
CARNIVAL- TROPICAL-1983-7 DAY MEXICO
SONG DANCER-1983- 3 DAY WEST COAST
AZUR SEAS -1983-3 DAY WEST COAST
#23
16 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Got back last night. We did end up doing the excursion with Spencer. We had signed up for the full day Sugar Beach Break but asked to switch to the island and beach tour combo instead while on the boat because it sounded so good! They let us do this with no problem. We were a little hesitant to go with a private tour company at first but Spencer’s tour was absolutely amazing! He and the crew were excellent and had us back in plenty of time. The power boat was a fun way to go. We had a blast and it was the best day of our cruise!! The volcanic mud baths and waterfall were fantastic, the beach surrounded by the pitons was picturesque and the food they served was local and excellent. They did a great job narrating and telling us all about the sights along the way. Can’t say enough good things about this tour and the crew and highly recommend them. Thanks for your suggestions, glad we took your advice!
#24
Ridgewood, NJ & Lake Sacandaga, NY
5,608 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
We are not too much "excursion people." We actually go more for the ship than the ports of call. We tend to just get off the ship and find a van and go on a tour for a few hours, then go back to the ship for lunch! Or if it's Grand Turk or Half Moon, we just park our fannies in a lounger for the day! But 3 years ago we went to St. Lucia and I was BEYOND excited to finally see the Pitons "in person." I have seen SO MANY PICTURES of them. So on a whim I booked Spencer and it was the BEST DAY we have ever had. I would give anything to go back to St. Lucia just to do that excursion again. We just booked Pride Journey for 1/2019 and guess where we are going!!! ST. LUCIA! You can be sure I'm gonna book with Spencer again. Op, glad that you had a great day with him. And an aside to Holly: JOIN US!!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Horizon '92 CCL Destiny '98 CCL Sensation '99 Zenith '99,CCL Celebration '00,CCL Destiny '00,CCL Fascination '01,Horizon '01,CCL Triumph '01,CCL Triumph '02,Zenith '02,CCL Spirit '03,CCL Legend '03,CCL Imagination '04,NCL Dawn '04,Voyager of the Seas '04,Island Princess '05,CCL Triumph '05,Voyager of the Seas '05,CCL Victory 1/06 & 8/06,Empress of the Seas 10/06,CCL Spirit,1/07,NCL Dawn CTN 5/07,CCL Victory 7/07,NCL Spirit CTN 9/07, Crown Princess 10/07,CCL Spirit NY Giants Super Bowl Cruise 2/08,CCL Miracle 9/08, CCL Dream 11/09,CCL Miracle 5/10,CCL Miracle 5/11,CCL Miracle 2/13 (farewell cruise before she goes out west) CCL Splendor 5/13,CCL Splendor 2/14,CCL Splendor 5/14 CCL Liberty 1/16& 1/24/15 B2B,CCL Pride 5/10 & 5/17/15 B2B,CCL Pride Journeys 3/16,CCL Sunshine 9/17,CCL Pride Journeys 1/18.

#25
Virginia
10 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by fielddreamer
I sent again tonight!
Thanks so much! Just booked with Spencer for April 22!
#26
Virginia
4,142 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by Crusin Karen
We are not too much "excursion people." We actually go more for the ship than the ports of call. We tend to just get off the ship and find a van and go on a tour for a few hours, then go back to the ship for lunch! Or if it's Grand Turk or Half Moon, we just park our fannies in a lounger for the day! But 3 years ago we went to St. Lucia and I was BEYOND excited to finally see the Pitons "in person." I have seen SO MANY PICTURES of them. So on a whim I booked Spencer and it was the BEST DAY we have ever had. I would give anything to go back to St. Lucia just to do that excursion again. We just booked Pride Journey for 1/2019 and guess where we are going!!! ST. LUCIA! You can be sure I'm gonna book with Spencer again. Op, glad that you had a great day with him. And an aside to Holly: JOIN US!!!!!
Hi Karen! I can't say for certain yet, but that one IS a possibility. We're also looking at a Glory Journey cruise to the southern/eastern Caribbean in 2/2019 (a 12 day). We are seriously thinking this over due to an unfortunate situation that happened while we were away last year. My husband and I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks this past September and we had 4 cats at the time. After we booked, I thought out pet sitting, which was a concern because one of our "boys" was tossed from a car when he was a 6 week old kitten, thus he had a deep fear of strangers. Long story...neighbors who normally watched them for us were familiar to him. He wouldn't approach them, but he'd come out and eat the wet food and they could account for him (to make sure he was fine) every day. Another neighbor (friend of mine, total stranger to our one boy) watched them. We also had my husbands sister/BIL come over a few times to see if they could see him and also check on the house. None of them saw him until 2 days before our return when our neighbor found him, deceased. Since the others ate his wet food when neighbor fed them, he only had access to the feeder with dry food. I'm sure he was terrified. Our vet believes it was a urinary blockage, treatable IF caught on time, fatal within days. We were heartbroken and what should have been a great vacation w/great memories ended up a nightmare. We *think* the other three would be fine, so we're trying it out with weekends to our hometown in PA and a several day trip to NOLA this spring to celebrate a good friend's 50th birthday. So we're going to have to see how it goes since right now, I'm not comfortable leaving them. But if all goes well, with no "hiding" and no other issues, we are considering. Fingers crossed. Would love to cruise with you one of these days.

You mentioned that your tour with Spencer was the BEST DAY you ever had...we felt the same way after our first trip to St. Lucia. Booking with him again on our 2nd visit was a no brainer. Next time we get back, we're definitely booking the "Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break" again.

Holly
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - September 20 - 27, 2015 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); LIBERTY 2015 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573
CARNIVAL LIBERTY - April 5 - 12, 2014 (Western Caribbean: Miami, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman...missed port, Miami); LIBERTY 2014 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039919
CARNIVAL VALOR - May 5 - 12, 2013 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); VALOR 2013 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645
CARNIVAL GLORY - May 9 - 16, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean: Miami, HMC Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Miami)
CARNIVAL MIRACLE - March 12 - 19, 2006 (Western Caribbean: Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Tampa)
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas - January 16 - 23, 2000 (Mexican Riviera: Los Angeles, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Los Angeles)
CARNIVAL FESTIVALE - June 14 - 21, 1992 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Martinique, San Juan)





#27
Ridgewood, NJ & Lake Sacandaga, NY
5,608 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Oh, Holly, how awful for you and I can totally understand your hesitation going away again. We had something similar this past cruise (1/7-1/21/18) We have a very very old German Shepard. She is a total love. I actually booked this last cruise on 1/21/17 because she was failing so bad that DH was going to take her to vet to put down. I begged and pleaded for "one more day" and miraculously she rallied. The next day I booked this year's cruise thinking there is no way she will still be with us. Well, guess what? She is!!! We had no one to be with her and there was no way she would be able to handle being in a cage at the vet (especially for TWO WEEKS) and I tell you, DH and I had many sleepless nights over this. We were actually thinking of NOT GOING on the cruise! Finally our BFF said he would stay here with her. He works days but at least she would not be alone at night and on weekends. It was all I could do to leave her but I vowed not to think about anything "bad" while we were away. Got home 1/21 and she is FINE. Still old and feeble and living day to day, but FINE. So when I just booked next year's cruise DH said no way Jade will be with us and I said, we said that LAST YEAR lol. ANYWAY, I totally get you. I will keep my fingers crossed you can work something out. This was our 2nd Journeys cruise and they are WONDERFUL. Would be hard for us to do anything else now! 1/6-1/20/19 from Baltimore. So sorry again about your kitty. What a heartbreaker.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Horizon '92 CCL Destiny '98 CCL Sensation '99 Zenith '99,CCL Celebration '00,CCL Destiny '00,CCL Fascination '01,Horizon '01,CCL Triumph '01,CCL Triumph '02,Zenith '02,CCL Spirit '03,CCL Legend '03,CCL Imagination '04,NCL Dawn '04,Voyager of the Seas '04,Island Princess '05,CCL Triumph '05,Voyager of the Seas '05,CCL Victory 1/06 & 8/06,Empress of the Seas 10/06,CCL Spirit,1/07,NCL Dawn CTN 5/07,CCL Victory 7/07,NCL Spirit CTN 9/07, Crown Princess 10/07,CCL Spirit NY Giants Super Bowl Cruise 2/08,CCL Miracle 9/08, CCL Dream 11/09,CCL Miracle 5/10,CCL Miracle 5/11,CCL Miracle 2/13 (farewell cruise before she goes out west) CCL Splendor 5/13,CCL Splendor 2/14,CCL Splendor 5/14 CCL Liberty 1/16& 1/24/15 B2B,CCL Pride 5/10 & 5/17/15 B2B,CCL Pride Journeys 3/16,CCL Sunshine 9/17,CCL Pride Journeys 1/18.

#28
Ridgewood, NJ & Lake Sacandaga, NY
5,608 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Holly, just looked up the Glory cruise. That sure is an awesome itinerary! Doesn't have St. Lucia, but those ports of call are amazing. And it leaves from Miami. We don't mind leaving from Baltimore because we like the convenience of driving rather than flying to the port, and Pride has the retractable roof on one of the pools, so it's okay in the winter,but the first 2 and last 2 days on the ship are COLD.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Horizon '92 CCL Destiny '98 CCL Sensation '99 Zenith '99,CCL Celebration '00,CCL Destiny '00,CCL Fascination '01,Horizon '01,CCL Triumph '01,CCL Triumph '02,Zenith '02,CCL Spirit '03,CCL Legend '03,CCL Imagination '04,NCL Dawn '04,Voyager of the Seas '04,Island Princess '05,CCL Triumph '05,Voyager of the Seas '05,CCL Victory 1/06 & 8/06,Empress of the Seas 10/06,CCL Spirit,1/07,NCL Dawn CTN 5/07,CCL Victory 7/07,NCL Spirit CTN 9/07, Crown Princess 10/07,CCL Spirit NY Giants Super Bowl Cruise 2/08,CCL Miracle 9/08, CCL Dream 11/09,CCL Miracle 5/10,CCL Miracle 5/11,CCL Miracle 2/13 (farewell cruise before she goes out west) CCL Splendor 5/13,CCL Splendor 2/14,CCL Splendor 5/14 CCL Liberty 1/16& 1/24/15 B2B,CCL Pride 5/10 & 5/17/15 B2B,CCL Pride Journeys 3/16,CCL Sunshine 9/17,CCL Pride Journeys 1/18.

#29
Virginia
4,142 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by Crusin Karen
Oh, Holly, how awful for you and I can totally understand your hesitation going away again. We had something similar this past cruise (1/7-1/21/18) We have a very very old German Shepard. She is a total love. I actually booked this last cruise on 1/21/17 because she was failing so bad that DH was going to take her to vet to put down. I begged and pleaded for "one more day" and miraculously she rallied. The next day I booked this year's cruise thinking there is no way she will still be with us. Well, guess what? She is!!! We had no one to be with her and there was no way she would be able to handle being in a cage at the vet (especially for TWO WEEKS) and I tell you, DH and I had many sleepless nights over this. We were actually thinking of NOT GOING on the cruise! Finally our BFF said he would stay here with her. He works days but at least she would not be alone at night and on weekends. It was all I could do to leave her but I vowed not to think about anything "bad" while we were away. Got home 1/21 and she is FINE. Still old and feeble and living day to day, but FINE. So when I just booked next year's cruise DH said no way Jade will be with us and I said, we said that LAST YEAR lol. ANYWAY, I totally get you. I will keep my fingers crossed you can work something out. This was our 2nd Journeys cruise and they are WONDERFUL. Would be hard for us to do anything else now! 1/6-1/20/19 from Baltimore. So sorry again about your kitty. What a heartbreaker.
Thank you for your kind words. Is your email still the same from when we emailed back and forth? I don't want to break CC's policy and get off topic.


Originally posted by Crusin Karen
Holly, just looked up the Glory cruise. That sure is an awesome itinerary! Doesn't have St. Lucia, but those ports of call are amazing. And it leaves from Miami. We don't mind leaving from Baltimore because we like the convenience of driving rather than flying to the port, and Pride has the retractable roof on one of the pools, so it's okay in the winter,but the first 2 and last 2 days on the ship are COLD.
If we decide to do one of those two, it will be a very tough call. Some friends that we got to know through our Valor reviews (she did one shortly after mine) were actually on Liberty (the cruise out of San Juan) with us, so we got to meet and are still in touch. They're booked on Glory for the Journey cruise. On the plus side for the Glory cruise, we would be getting to 4 new islands (St. Croix, Guadeloupe, Antigua, Tortola) and one almost "new" (Martinique). We were in Martinique in 1992 on our honeymoon cruise but that was so long ago it would be like a new island for us. The only downside is no St. Lucia. The plus for the Pride out of Baltimore would be driving; 2 new islands (Antigua, Grenada); and the rest are ones we really love. The duration would practically be the same, even though Glory is only a 12 day, we'd be taking an extra day, maybe 2 considering time of year, to fly down ahead of the cruise. But we will see how things go with the other three cats this May. At least in NOLA, we are an easy flight home if necessary. If one of our boys was not seen by our neighbor on a certain day, I'd fly home, since they do tend to hide when something is wrong.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - September 20 - 27, 2015 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); LIBERTY 2015 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573
CARNIVAL LIBERTY - April 5 - 12, 2014 (Western Caribbean: Miami, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman...missed port, Miami); LIBERTY 2014 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039919
CARNIVAL VALOR - May 5 - 12, 2013 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); VALOR 2013 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645
CARNIVAL GLORY - May 9 - 16, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean: Miami, HMC Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Miami)
CARNIVAL MIRACLE - March 12 - 19, 2006 (Western Caribbean: Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Tampa)
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas - January 16 - 23, 2000 (Mexican Riviera: Los Angeles, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Los Angeles)
CARNIVAL FESTIVALE - June 14 - 21, 1992 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Martinique, San Juan)





#30
Ridgewood, NJ & Lake Sacandaga, NY
5,608 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Holly, email me, yes, it's the same email. OP, sorry for the highjack!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Horizon '92 CCL Destiny '98 CCL Sensation '99 Zenith '99,CCL Celebration '00,CCL Destiny '00,CCL Fascination '01,Horizon '01,CCL Triumph '01,CCL Triumph '02,Zenith '02,CCL Spirit '03,CCL Legend '03,CCL Imagination '04,NCL Dawn '04,Voyager of the Seas '04,Island Princess '05,CCL Triumph '05,Voyager of the Seas '05,CCL Victory 1/06 & 8/06,Empress of the Seas 10/06,CCL Spirit,1/07,NCL Dawn CTN 5/07,CCL Victory 7/07,NCL Spirit CTN 9/07, Crown Princess 10/07,CCL Spirit NY Giants Super Bowl Cruise 2/08,CCL Miracle 9/08, CCL Dream 11/09,CCL Miracle 5/10,CCL Miracle 5/11,CCL Miracle 2/13 (farewell cruise before she goes out west) CCL Splendor 5/13,CCL Splendor 2/14,CCL Splendor 5/14 CCL Liberty 1/16& 1/24/15 B2B,CCL Pride 5/10 & 5/17/15 B2B,CCL Pride Journeys 3/16,CCL Sunshine 9/17,CCL Pride Journeys 1/18.

#31
Virginia
4,142 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by Crusin Karen
Holly, email me, yes, it's the same email. OP, sorry for the highjack!
Karen, I just spent about a half hour looking through all the email addresses and past emails. I forget when we were corresponding but now that I think about it, it may have been on the last computer we had. When updating to this one, the email addresses we had were not saved. I'll give you my email, it's: dgieh at comcast dot net

Again, OP, so sorry for the hijack.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - September 20 - 27, 2015 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); LIBERTY 2015 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573
CARNIVAL LIBERTY - April 5 - 12, 2014 (Western Caribbean: Miami, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman...missed port, Miami); LIBERTY 2014 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039919
CARNIVAL VALOR - May 5 - 12, 2013 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); VALOR 2013 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645
CARNIVAL GLORY - May 9 - 16, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean: Miami, HMC Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Miami)
CARNIVAL MIRACLE - March 12 - 19, 2006 (Western Caribbean: Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Tampa)
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas - January 16 - 23, 2000 (Mexican Riviera: Los Angeles, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Los Angeles)
CARNIVAL FESTIVALE - June 14 - 21, 1992 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Martinique, San Juan)





#32
Reading Pa USA
1,210 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by Aquaticdreams
Got back last night. We did end up doing the excursion with Spencer. We had signed up for the full day Sugar Beach Break but asked to switch to the island and beach tour combo instead while on the boat because it sounded so good! They let us do this with no problem. We were a little hesitant to go with a private tour company at first but Spencer’s tour was absolutely amazing! He and the crew were excellent and had us back in plenty of time. The power boat was a fun way to go. We had a blast and it was the best day of our cruise!! The volcanic mud baths and waterfall were fantastic, the beach surrounded by the pitons was picturesque and the food they served was local and excellent. They did a great job narrating and telling us all about the sights along the way. Can’t say enough good things about this tour and the crew and highly recommend them. Thanks for your suggestions, glad we took your advice!


I will be doing this on our cruise in March. Right now we are just booked for the beach but I know we can add the mud baths. How strenuous was it to get to the mud baths and waterfall? How much time did you have when you got back to the port? I would like to do a little shopping before we get back on the ship.
Thanks!!


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ev
#33
NYC
791 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
We just did the Land, Sea and Beach tour with Spencer last week and while we had a decent time, it's not a tour I would book again. We were only in port from 8-4 instead of the more typical 8-5, so it felt a bit rushed (not the operator's fault, just something to keep in mind).

Our tour started with a speedboat ride straight to the town of Soufrière, which is where the volcano and mud bath portion of the tour happens. We were told that we'd stop at points of interest on the boat ride back, which was true, but we also stopped several times along the way there to drop off people who were doing different tours (like the snorkel only tour, etc.). This took up a fair amount of what theoretically could have been beach time. However, the scenery was beautiful so this ride was fairly enjoyable.

Anyway, in Soufrière we loaded into a van and headed to the volcano, dropping people at the mud baths along the way. The volcano "tour" is really just a short walk with a guide along a breezeway built over a section of the volcano - I would say it's a walk of no more than 50 yards, with a couple of sets of stairs. Our guide was knowledgeable but there's really not much to see there, and I felt like our driver was killing time so that the mud bath folks wouldn't be rushed.

Anyway, after the volcano we stopped briefly at a waterfall, which was VERY crowded with other tours and really nothing more than a pool about 20' in diameter with a small fall under which no more than one or two people could stand at a time. We didn't want to ride back to the boat wet, so we just browsed the vendor tables outside.

At this point we were starting to get hungry, which also contributed to some queasiness from the windy road up and down the mountain. Unfortunately, we had another drive back to the boat plus another wait at the pier for someone plus another short trip in the speedboat before arriving at Sugar (Jalousie) Beach for lunch.

The beach was PACKED when we arrived and there are very few chairs for those on tours. We found one near where they were setting up lunch but couldn't do more than drop our stuff on it because of all the hungry people swarming the buffet. Btw, "buffet" is a term that is used loosely here. The woman setting up the food served each person one tiny, dessicated chicken leg/thigh and two slices of leathery fried plantains, then directed us to help ourselves to pasta salad, rice, lentils and a couple of other carby side dishes, none of which were good. Requests for additional chicken were refused (not that anyone would really have wanted more after tasting it). I wasn't expecting a gourmet spread, but this was very meager given that it was a full day tour where there was no opportunity to purchase any additional food. If you have food allergies or dietary restrictions, forget it. Also, the only drinks available aside from water were weak rum punch, beer and sugary sodas.

Once we finished lunch, we had about an hour to swim and snorkel. The snorkeling was only okay - some interesting coral and lots of sea urchins, but not too many fish. The swimming area was very small but did have a great view of the Pitons. I'm not one to lie around on a beach but those who wanted to had a hard time finding space.

The boat ride back was scenic and informative but at that point we were just ready to be done, not to mention hungry and a bit nauseated. We got back to Castries just about 30 mins before all aboard, so no time to do anything else.

Unfortunately for us, this tour also came directly after a truly fabulous catamaran tour in Barbados, so we couldn't help but compare the experiences and Spencer's tour just didn't measure up. We loved what we saw of St. Lucia and plan to go back when we can explore on our own, but we wouldn't do this tour again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/27/04 - Carnival Spirit
2/7/11 - Celebrity Equinox
1/18/14 - Celebrity Reflection
2/27/16 - Celebrity Reflection

#34
Ridgewood, NJ & Lake Sacandaga, NY
5,608 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
^^Alsmez, I can understand a bit what you experienced. Tho this tour was VERY GOOD, we too had a lot of "waiting around." We didn't and wouldn't (lol) do the mud baths, but the scenery was so beautiful that we did not mind waiting for those who did. I remember the flowers were spectacular. For some reason on our excursion we ate at a tiny shack instead of the beach. I remember posting this when we got back. The weather was gorgeous, so that wasn't a factor. It was kind of nice not to have to worry about sand, etc. I am kind of a picky eater and remember I wasn't crazy about the meal,either, but figured this was just a typical "St.Lucia buffet." I remember the potato salad was very good. After lunch at the shack we went to the beach and had no problems getting a lounger and hanging out. I think MAYBE when I book again I might opt to do just the beach....jury is out on that right now, but your experience will help me to decide. Did you have the "race" with the other boat on the way back to the ship?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Horizon '92 CCL Destiny '98 CCL Sensation '99 Zenith '99,CCL Celebration '00,CCL Destiny '00,CCL Fascination '01,Horizon '01,CCL Triumph '01,CCL Triumph '02,Zenith '02,CCL Spirit '03,CCL Legend '03,CCL Imagination '04,NCL Dawn '04,Voyager of the Seas '04,Island Princess '05,CCL Triumph '05,Voyager of the Seas '05,CCL Victory 1/06 & 8/06,Empress of the Seas 10/06,CCL Spirit,1/07,NCL Dawn CTN 5/07,CCL Victory 7/07,NCL Spirit CTN 9/07, Crown Princess 10/07,CCL Spirit NY Giants Super Bowl Cruise 2/08,CCL Miracle 9/08, CCL Dream 11/09,CCL Miracle 5/10,CCL Miracle 5/11,CCL Miracle 2/13 (farewell cruise before she goes out west) CCL Splendor 5/13,CCL Splendor 2/14,CCL Splendor 5/14 CCL Liberty 1/16& 1/24/15 B2B,CCL Pride 5/10 & 5/17/15 B2B,CCL Pride Journeys 3/16,CCL Sunshine 9/17,CCL Pride Journeys 1/18.

#35
nj
1,013 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Alsmez
We just did the Land, Sea and Beach tour with Spencer last week and while we had a decent time, it's not a tour I would book again. We were only in port from 8-4 instead of the more typical 8-5, so it felt a bit rushed (not the operator's fault, just something to keep in mind).

Our tour started with a speedboat ride straight to the town of Soufrière, which is where the volcano and mud bath portion of the tour happens. We were told that we'd stop at points of interest on the boat ride back, which was true, but we also stopped several times along the way there to drop off people who were doing different tours (like the snorkel only tour, etc.). This took up a fair amount of what theoretically could have been beach time. However, the scenery was beautiful so this ride was fairly enjoyable.

Anyway, in Soufrière we loaded into a van and headed to the volcano, dropping people at the mud baths along the way. The volcano "tour" is really just a short walk with a guide along a breezeway built over a section of the volcano - I would say it's a walk of no more than 50 yards, with a couple of sets of stairs. Our guide was knowledgeable but there's really not much to see there, and I felt like our driver was killing time so that the mud bath folks wouldn't be rushed.

Anyway, after the volcano we stopped briefly at a waterfall, which was VERY crowded with other tours and really nothing more than a pool about 20' in diameter with a small fall under which no more than one or two people could stand at a time. We didn't want to ride back to the boat wet, so we just browsed the vendor tables outside.

At this point we were starting to get hungry, which also contributed to some queasiness from the windy road up and down the mountain. Unfortunately, we had another drive back to the boat plus another wait at the pier for someone plus another short trip in the speedboat before arriving at Sugar (Jalousie) Beach for lunch.

The beach was PACKED when we arrived and there are very few chairs for those on tours. We found one near where they were setting up lunch but couldn't do more than drop our stuff on it because of all the hungry people swarming the buffet. Btw, "buffet" is a term that is used loosely here. The woman setting up the food served each person one tiny, dessicated chicken leg/thigh and two slices of leathery fried plantains, then directed us to help ourselves to pasta salad, rice, lentils and a couple of other carby side dishes, none of which were good. Requests for additional chicken were refused (not that anyone would really have wanted more after tasting it). I wasn't expecting a gourmet spread, but this was very meager given that it was a full day tour where there was no opportunity to purchase any additional food. If you have food allergies or dietary restrictions, forget it. Also, the only drinks available aside from water were weak rum punch, beer and sugary sodas.

Once we finished lunch, we had about an hour to swim and snorkel. The snorkeling was only okay - some interesting coral and lots of sea urchins, but not too many fish. The swimming area was very small but did have a great view of the Pitons. I'm not one to lie around on a beach but those who wanted to had a hard time finding space.

The boat ride back was scenic and informative but at that point we were just ready to be done, not to mention hungry and a bit nauseated. We got back to Castries just about 30 mins before all aboard, so no time to do anything else.

Unfortunately for us, this tour also came directly after a truly fabulous catamaran tour in Barbados, so we couldn't help but compare the experiences and Spencer's tour just didn't measure up. We loved what we saw of St. Lucia and plan to go back when we can explore on our own, but we wouldn't do this tour again.
I appreciate your honesty about the waiting part. I don't think my husband will like that so I just contacted Spencer to switch us to the Jalousie beach break as we don't want to miss any time snorkeling in St. Lucia. Having hot mud on us and going in a cold waterfall with lines is definitely less appealing than snorkeling. We love St. Lucia and the snorkeling. I just wish they added Anse Chastenet to this particular excursion.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Legend, October 2009 Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, October 2010 Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy, November 2011 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor, November 2013 Bahamas
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, November 2014 reposition bayonne to port canaveral
Carnival Sunshine, October 2015 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, April, 2016 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, October, 2016 Bayonne to San Juan
RCCL Jewel of the Seas, April 2017 TransAtl San Juan to Rome
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, November, 2017 TransAtl Barcelona to Tampa
Celebrity Summit, April 2018 Southern Caribbean - lol - turned select from RCCL
Celebrity Summit, April 2018 Reposition San Juan to Bayonne
RCCL Jewel of the Seas, November 2018 transatlantic Rome to San Juan (turning emerald)!!
RCCL Vision of the Seas, January 2019 Western Caribbean
RCCL Brilliance of the seas, November 2019 transatlantic Barcelona to Tampa (turning diamond!!)
#36
Fort Lauderdale
837 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by Alsmez
We just did the Land, Sea and Beach tour with Spencer last week and while we had a decent time, it's not a tour I would book again. We were only in port from 8-4 instead of the more typical 8-5, so it felt a bit rushed (not the operator's fault, just something to keep in mind).

Our tour started with a speedboat ride straight to the town of Soufrière, which is where the volcano and mud bath portion of the tour happens. We were told that we'd stop at points of interest on the boat ride back, which was true, but we also stopped several times along the way there to drop off people who were doing different tours (like the snorkel only tour, etc.). This took up a fair amount of what theoretically could have been beach time. However, the scenery was beautiful so this ride was fairly enjoyable.

Anyway, in Soufrière we loaded into a van and headed to the volcano, dropping people at the mud baths along the way. The volcano "tour" is really just a short walk with a guide along a breezeway built over a section of the volcano - I would say it's a walk of no more than 50 yards, with a couple of sets of stairs. Our guide was knowledgeable but there's really not much to see there, and I felt like our driver was killing time so that the mud bath folks wouldn't be rushed.

Anyway, after the volcano we stopped briefly at a waterfall, which was VERY crowded with other tours and really nothing more than a pool about 20' in diameter with a small fall under which no more than one or two people could stand at a time. We didn't want to ride back to the boat wet, so we just browsed the vendor tables outside.

At this point we were starting to get hungry, which also contributed to some queasiness from the windy road up and down the mountain. Unfortunately, we had another drive back to the boat plus another wait at the pier for someone plus another short trip in the speedboat before arriving at Sugar (Jalousie) Beach for lunch.

The beach was PACKED when we arrived and there are very few chairs for those on tours. We found one near where they were setting up lunch but couldn't do more than drop our stuff on it because of all the hungry people swarming the buffet. Btw, "buffet" is a term that is used loosely here. The woman setting up the food served each person one tiny, dessicated chicken leg/thigh and two slices of leathery fried plantains, then directed us to help ourselves to pasta salad, rice, lentils and a couple of other carby side dishes, none of which were good. Requests for additional chicken were refused (not that anyone would really have wanted more after tasting it). I wasn't expecting a gourmet spread, but this was very meager given that it was a full day tour where there was no opportunity to purchase any additional food. If you have food allergies or dietary restrictions, forget it. Also, the only drinks available aside from water were weak rum punch, beer and sugary sodas.

Once we finished lunch, we had about an hour to swim and snorkel. The snorkeling was only okay - some interesting coral and lots of sea urchins, but not too many fish. The swimming area was very small but did have a great view of the Pitons. I'm not one to lie around on a beach but those who wanted to had a hard time finding space.

The boat ride back was scenic and informative but at that point we were just ready to be done, not to mention hungry and a bit nauseated. We got back to Castries just about 30 mins before all aboard, so no time to do anything else.

Unfortunately for us, this tour also came directly after a truly fabulous catamaran tour in Barbados, so we couldn't help but compare the experiences and Spencer's tour just didn't measure up. We loved what we saw of St. Lucia and plan to go back when we can explore on our own, but we wouldn't do this tour again.
This is a pretty fair review and I thank you for it. Had been kicking around the idea of switching to Spencer, from Cosol, for the extra $60 for me and DW, so we could utilize the speedboat and maybe have less waiting, plus included lunch, but this experience you had seems like it could be typical with the waiting and drop offs, but people don't mind it because of the scenery.

Gonna stick with Cosol and save that money and probably have just as good of a time, hell maybe even better.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Previous Cruises
11/24/2017 - 3 Night Norwegian Sky - First time NCL Black Friday Getaway (Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau)
05/05/2017 - 10 Night Celebrity Equinox - Wife's 35th Birthday Voyage (Grand Cayman, ABC Islands, Key West)
01/12/2017 - 4 Night RC Empress of the Seas - 35th Birthday Cruise (Key West, Nassau)
05/15/2016 - 7 Night RC Allure of the Seas - 5 Year Wedding Anniversary Cruise (Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel)
07/19/2015 - 2 Night Bahamas Paradise Grand Celebration - Post Family Reunion Cruise (Grand Bahama Island)
01/14/2014 - 3 Night Celebrity Constellation - 32nd Birthday Cruise (Coco Cay, Nassau)
10/19/2013 - 2 Night Bahamas Celebration - Quick Pre Holiday Stretch Getaway Cruise (Grand Bahama Island)
01/11/2013 - 3 Night RC Majesty of the Seas - 31st Birthday Cruise (Coco Cay, Nassau)
07/05/2012 - 3 Night Carnival Sensation - Summer Getaway with Family Cruise (Nassau)
01/14/2012 - 5 Night Carnival Destiny - First Cruise 30th Birthday Celebration Cruise (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman)
#37
NYC
791 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by kdawg954
This is a pretty fair review and I thank you for it. Had been kicking around the idea of switching to Spencer, from Cosol, for the extra $60 for me and DW, so we could utilize the speedboat and maybe have less waiting, plus included lunch, but this experience you had seems like it could be typical with the waiting and drop offs, but people don't mind it because of the scenery.

Gonna stick with Cosol and save that money and probably have just as good of a time, hell maybe even better.
I haven't toured with Cosol so I can't say for sure, but I did hear a number of people on our ship mentioning that they had spent an hour and a half each way in a van to get to Soufriere with other operators. That would be a dealbreaker for me - not only do I hate wasting half my day in transit, but I get carsick rather easily. The speedboat is definitely worth a few extra bucks to me, although the lunch most definitely was not.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/27/04 - Carnival Spirit
2/7/11 - Celebrity Equinox
1/18/14 - Celebrity Reflection
2/27/16 - Celebrity Reflection

#38
NYC
791 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by jean87510
I appreciate your honesty about the waiting part. I don't think my husband will like that so I just contacted Spencer to switch us to the Jalousie beach break as we don't want to miss any time snorkeling in St. Lucia. Having hot mud on us and going in a cold waterfall with lines is definitely less appealing than snorkeling. We love St. Lucia and the snorkeling. I just wish they added Anse Chastenet to this particular excursion.
We had a couple of people on our speedboat that had elected to do Spencer's two-stop snorkeling trip, so you may want to read more about that. Our boat stopped at Anse Chastenet in the morning to drop them off, then they rejoined us later for snorkeling at Jalousie before returning with us on the same boat. I'm not sure how they got from Anse Chastenet to Jalousie nor how long they had for snorkeling at each place, but you might do a search to see if you can find further reviews from people who did the two-stop snorkel trip specifically.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/27/04 - Carnival Spirit
2/7/11 - Celebrity Equinox
1/18/14 - Celebrity Reflection
2/27/16 - Celebrity Reflection

#39
nj
1,013 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Alsmez
We had a couple of people on our speedboat that had elected to do Spencer's two-stop snorkeling trip, so you may want to read more about that. Our boat stopped at Anse Chastenet in the morning to drop them off, then they rejoined us later for snorkeling at Jalousie before returning with us on the same boat. I'm not sure how they got from Anse Chastenet to Jalousie nor how long they had for snorkeling at each place, but you might do a search to see if you can find further reviews from people who did the two-stop snorkel trip specifically.
Is that the 3 - 3 1/2 snorkeling trip? Sounds like its longer than that. I love Anse Chastenet and Jalousie beach snorkeling. I may contact Spencer. He just switched me to the Jalousie beach one. I'm sure he won't mind. And do you think that the people who were snorkeling on the 2 stop went longer than 3 hours?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Legend, October 2009 Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, October 2010 Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy, November 2011 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor, November 2013 Bahamas
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, November 2014 reposition bayonne to port canaveral
Carnival Sunshine, October 2015 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, April, 2016 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, October, 2016 Bayonne to San Juan
RCCL Jewel of the Seas, April 2017 TransAtl San Juan to Rome
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, November, 2017 TransAtl Barcelona to Tampa
Celebrity Summit, April 2018 Southern Caribbean - lol - turned select from RCCL
Celebrity Summit, April 2018 Reposition San Juan to Bayonne
RCCL Jewel of the Seas, November 2018 transatlantic Rome to San Juan (turning emerald)!!
RCCL Vision of the Seas, January 2019 Western Caribbean
RCCL Brilliance of the seas, November 2019 transatlantic Barcelona to Tampa (turning diamond!!)
#40
278 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Originally posted by jean87510
Is that the 3 - 3 1/2 snorkeling trip? Sounds like its longer than that. I love Anse Chastenet and Jalousie beach snorkeling. I may contact Spencer. He just switched me to the Jalousie beach one. I'm sure he won't mind. And do you think that the people who were snorkeling on the 2 stop went longer than 3 hours?
The snorkeling at Anse Chastenet is out of this world and much better than sugar beach. We are going to st Lucia again in march and whatever Spencer tour we do will need to have
Anse Chastenet In it. It did take longer than 3-3.5 hrs. For us, more like about 6 or more. I think we got back to the dock around 4pm (ship leaving at 6:00pm) they asked if anyone was in a hurry to get back or spend more everywhere in the beginning. Everyone wanted the full day of fun.