Holiday Inn Southampton

LHT28

Any recent stays here

Can you tell me the size of the beds in the Twin rooms & also the Executive rooms?

It looks like the twin rooms have single beds not the doubles like thy have in N.A. jard to tell in their photos though

The Executive room says 1 double but not sure if that is the bed size or it is room for 2 people :confused::confused:

Thanks

Lyn

In the UK, if a hotel room description says twin, it means just that - 2 single beds. A double would have one double bed. A room with 2 double beds would be quite unusual - I'm not sure I've ever seen one in the UK, actually.

Thanks

That is what I was thinking it meant

The Executive rooms usually have double rooms with beds that are approx five foot wide. Some British hotels only have beds that are 4 foot 6 inches wide in some standard double rooms, though that is not common in the higher priced hotels. Actually I think all double rooms in that hotel have beds that are 5 foot wide as I never recall having any problems there, though I have come across the occasional Hol Inn where that is not the case.

Technically a "standard double bed" in the UK is only 4 foot 6 inches, so we often ask for a twin room or ring the hotel to ask the size of the beds.

You sometimes do get rooms with two double beds, but when that is the case the rooms are described as having two double beds. As previously stated it is very unusual and I do not think I have ever known it in a Holiday Inn.

The Executive rooms usually have double rooms with beds that are approx five foot wide. Some British hotels only have beds that are 4 foot 6 inches wide in some standard double rooms, though that is not common in the higher priced hotels. .

Thanks

60" would be like a queen bed here

That should work OK then

Stayed here quite a few times, and taken advantage of their cruise and park packages.

I suspect that the executive rooms might not have bigger beds, just a few extra perks like bathrobes, 2 bottles of water and a bar of chocolate, so double check the website to make sure you know what you are actually getting. Twin rooms in the UK, as stated, are usually two 3 foot single beds.

The Holiday Inn, assuming you mean the one in Herbert Walker road by the City Cruise Terminal, is perfectly adequate and comfortable if a little dated in appearance.

Stayed here quite a few times, and taken advantage of their cruise and park packages.

I suspect that the executive rooms might not have bigger beds, just a few extra perks like bathrobes, 2 bottles of water and a bar of chocolate, so double check the website to make sure you know what you are actually getting. Twin rooms in the UK, as stated, are usually two 3 foot single beds.

The Holiday Inn, assuming you mean the one in Herbert Walker road by the City Cruise Terminal, is perfectly adequate and comfortable if a little dated in appearance.

I believe that a twin bed is actually 39" (or 3 ft. 3 inches)

Yes that is the location of the HI

I think the Exec rooms are a bit bigger from the description but not sure

Thanks for the added info

Yes that is the location of the HI

I think the Exec rooms are a bit bigger from the description but not sure

Thanks for the added info

I do not think they are bigger, but have a few perks and usually better furnishings (though 'better' can be a matter of personal choice). I think there are also also suites, which would be bigger. I also think the beds will be the same size.

We have stayed a number of times on an IHG hotels points basis. Only standard rooms are available with points, unless you make a payment as well and we are too mean to pay :). We always ask for a high floor, but were told the higher floors are exec rooms, so you could also get a better view. We have always rang the hotel and asked for a floor as high as possible (the 5th if I remember correctly) and have always had that and the view was pretty good. Chances are there is not much difference between standard and exec rooms, but we have generally sailed in the winter season when less ships sail out of Southampton, so that could have increased the likelihood of us being allocated a 5th floor room.

We like the hotel and it is well placed, being easy walking distance of the city, but not in the midst of it. Had to stay at a cheaper hotel last time as the point balance was low :)

Edited by tring

Thanks Tring

looking at the photos on Tripadvisor the Exec rooms look a bit bigger but could be just the camera angle

Still trying to decide between Holiday Inn & Premier Inn West Quay

both have their pluses & minuses

no points involved :(

Thanks Tring

looking at the photos on Tripadvisor the Exec rooms look a bit bigger but could be just the camera angle

Still trying to decide between Holiday Inn & Premier Inn West Quay

both have their pluses & minuses

no points involved :(

I would think it was highly unlikely they are bigger as the building is a concrete block with windows above each other, so given the exec rooms are just above the standard rooms the 'window wall' would be the same width. They could be longer, but again I would expect the corridors to be above each other in that building. The rooms we have been in were pretty big with very big windows. What we liked was the ability to sit at the window looking out - we often just took food (and drink from a local shop) to the room for at least one meal and sat relaxing at the coffee table with the window view. We like the view over the docks to the north - strange how docks can be quite picturesque when lit up. I think you may need an exec room to get a view south to Southampton Water and also north when ships are docked as one terminal is quite near the hotel (ships normally docked from about 7am until about 5pm for turn around).

West Quay is a major shopping centre so not likely to have a view, but is likely to be cheaper (with cheaper in house food/drink available) and more convenient if you want go shopping. The older part of the city is between the two hotels. If you are just there for one night we would not pay a lot for a hotel, unless you do intend to spend time in the room - we do like cheap, so we can afford more holidays :).

Edited by tring

If you are just there for one night we would not pay a lot for a hotel, unless you do intend to spend time in the room - we do like cheap, so we can afford more holidays :).

LOL

Cheap is good but we also like bright & airy rooms & comfortable

We will be there for 3 nts & maybe be out & about most days

It is Easter weekend so not sure what will be available

Thanks again

We are staying at the Holiday Inn tonight. The bed is 60 inches wide. It's nice compared to the two twins we had pushed together at the H10 Waterloo in London.

We are on the 4th floor and had a nice view of a Celebrity ship. It left at 4, though, so now our view is mainly of the parking lot beside the City Cruise Terminal.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn tonight. The bed is 60 inches wide. It's nice compared to the two twins we had pushed together at the H10 Waterloo in London.

Are you in a standard or Executive room?

Thank you

Are you in a standard or Executive room?

Thank you

As geoherb said they were on the 4th floor I would expect the room to be standard one as it is below the 6th floor. Yes the parking area is in view from the north side of the hotel, but thinking again we had also asked for a quiet room away from the road, so got rooms near to the waters edge (that side of the hotel looks out along the edge of the dock with the water to the left hand side), but when the ships sail you can easily look out at an angle over the water, but you do also see that side of the city. Being there in the winter meant it was dark at night, so we got the view of the area lit up, which always looks better IMO.

The chairs are comfortable in the Hol Inn and the rooms are certainly light as the windows are really big, so you can still get a good view even when sitting down. There are no other big buildings to obstruct the view north - Google Earth street view is a good way to see hotel locations and the aspect of the rooms, which in the case of the Hol Inn look either north or south as there are no rooms looking out to the sides. If price is not an issue, we would go for the Hol Inn, it is a good place to hole up in for a couple of days as you will likely want to spend some time in the room to rest.

There is not a lot that is touristy in Southampton, but the concierge are good - there are walking tours of the older part (you may need to book them) and there is a Tudor House that you can go into. If you think you may want to get a train to somewhere else one day, then West Quay is nearer to the train station than the Hol Inn.

Edited by tring

Yes we will probably head to Portsmouth & Winchester on different days of course

Maybe the Solent Sky Museum

I am sure we could catch a taxi to the train or bus station..I hope they are not too mean about a short fare ride ;)

I have a few months to decide

I believe that a twin bed is actually 39" (or 3 ft. 3 inches)

Not in the UK. A single or one of a twin is 3 foot wide, standard double is 4 foot 6, king is 5 foot and superking is 6 foot wide.

Standard bed length in the UK is 6 foot 3, although super kings are often 6 foot 6, unless it’s two twins pushed together!