St. Thomas liquor prices/ shipping back to USA?

Planefixer

Does anyone know if I purchase 2 cases of wine in St. Thomas and ship them back home, do I still pay the tax because I'm exceeding the customs allowance.

The story is my brother is a vintage wine collector. In St. Thomas there is a store that has a particular brand/vintage he wants. It is less then half price of the stores in the states. And they are only one of a select few retailers in the Caribbean that carry it.

Any suggestions? He does not mind paying tax, he just wants a large quantity of it.

$1600 is the exemption for St Thomas, but alcoholic beverages are limited in quantity, 4 L

Call the store to find out what arrangements they can make for shipping a couple of cases. There are state regs to consider also,

Shipping between states within the US is complicated enough without involving customs.

You will need to find out if the state he lives in will even allow wine to be shipped in.

I searched the U.S. customs site. But I could not find an answer. Where would you look?

Does anyone know if I purchase 2 cases of wine in St. Thomas and ship them back home, do I still pay the tax because I'm exceeding the customs allowance.

The story is my brother is a vintage wine collector. In St. Thomas there is a store that has a particular brand/vintage he wants. It is less then half price of the stores in the states. And they are only one of a select few retailers in the Caribbean that carry it.

Any suggestions? He does not mind paying tax, he just wants a large quantity of it.

You pay the customs duty, plus you may have to pay local taxes, plus you pay shipping. Shipping is notoriously slow, and may take months to arrive. By the time you pay all of the associated costs you will probably not save very much.

from = http://www.travelingvineyard.com/2013/12/wine-regulations-massachusetts/

"40 States allow the direct shipment of wine to consumers, why is the otherwise progressive and innovative bay state one of the last holdouts?

It’s time for the Bay State to get with it!

Welcome to Massachusetts

As the owner of a California winery living in Massachusetts I’m incredulous that I can’t receive the finished product (or even tank samples) of my own wine directly from our winery facility in California.

I know that this sounds like a selfish argument – but this issue affects every wine loving consumer in Massachusetts. It’s long past time for the Massachusetts State Legislature to get with it, pass HB 294 and finally change the antiquated, inefficient and unfriendly laws that prohibit the direct shipment of wine to Massachusetts consumers."

Edited by biker@sea

Found the answer.

According to his states A.B.C.B under section 4.23 out of state shipping and receiving of Alcoholic beverages is allowed if the shipment originates outside of the continental U.S. Or shipped from a U.S. flagged territory outside of the contiguous U.S. Excluding Alaska & Hawaii.

from = http://www.travelingvineyard.com/2013/12/wine-regulations-massachusetts/

"40 States allow the direct shipment of wine to consumers, why is the otherwise progressive and innovative bay state one of the last holdouts?

It’s time for the Bay State to get with it!

Welcome to Massachusetts

As the owner of a California winery living in Massachusetts I’m incredulous that I can’t receive the finished product (or even tank samples) of my own wine directly from our winery facility in California.

I know that this sounds like a selfish argument – but this issue affects every wine loving consumer in Massachusetts. It’s long past time for the Massachusetts State Legislature to get with it, pass HB 294 and finally change the antiquated, inefficient and unfriendly laws that prohibit the direct shipment of wine to Massachusetts consumers."

Last fall when I was doing a VA winery/vineyard trip, I was told that MA was amending the shipping regs as of Jan. '15 to allow shipments into the state. However, the individual wineries were pressing for a collective permit rather than the costly [yup, only in Taxachusetts] individual ones being imposed on both large and small sellers. Another pro-consumer bill stalled in the legislature?

Look how long it took for MA to allow more than 3 alcohol permits per business name. That's one reason why Trader Joe's took its time expanding in the state.

When we were on a Rhine River appreciation of wine cruise, I wanted to have a few cases of wines shipped home - no way! That particular brand isn't even allowed to ship directly to a MA liquor supplier.....so I had the two cases shipped to a relative in NY. Makes one wonder what's the issue on Beacon Hill.

Darcy

Two points that might be relevant: 1) the exemptions and limits are only the duty free amounts; the actual duty you will pay over the limit is still relatively small as both an absolute amount and as a percentage of an otherwise-expensive bottle. So, it might be worth doing even above the limits. 2) wine shipped to, stored in, and shipped from the Caribbean may not have been/will be temperature controlled at all times. Your brother may end up with expensive vinegar. That is the reason most US wineries try not to ship their direct to consumer wines in warm months (at least mailing-list customers). Even if you are sure that the wine was shipped to St. Thomas, and stored, in temperature controlled conditions, the cost of temperature controlled FedEx or UPS shipping will be huge.

Guys,

I am all good. I got the info I needed. Appreciate all your help.

Have a nice weekend😃

i think Planefixer thinks they are going to stop the responses... Funny.

Anyhoo, has anyone ever done this and if so, what store did they use? Im not looking to save any money here, but even if it turned out to be a bit more expensive, there are some liquors we saw there that we cannot get in the US, or at least not our immediate area. So it would be great to have them shipped back rather than have to pack it in our checked bag and hope it doesnt break on the flight home.

thx

i think Planefixer thinks they are going to stop the responses... Funny.

Anyhoo, has anyone ever done this and if so, what store did they use? Im not looking to save any money here, but even if it turned out to be a bit more expensive, there are some liquors we saw there that we cannot get in the US, or at least not our immediate area. So it would be great to have them shipped back rather than have to pack it in our checked bag and hope it doesnt break on the flight home.

thx

There is a liquor store after you clear security. Bottles bought there can be carried on if that helps.

There is a liquor store after you clear security. Bottles bought there can be carried on if that helps.

The question is can anyone recommend a st thomas liquor store that ships back to the US?

The question is can anyone recommend a st thomas liquor store that ships back to the US?

Yes! I work on St. Thomas -go to AH Riise (pronounced "Reese") mall on main street - to Penha Duty Free. Their customer service & selection are both excellent. One can bring back 6 bottled of alcohol IF one is a product made in the USVI (so either Cruzan or Captain Morgan rums - both distilled on St. Croix).