Inside Passage day--activities around ship or stay on balcony to view scenery?

allisons

The day that we will be cruising the inside passage, is that a good day to book activities around the ship (lunch at specialty restaurant, spa, etc.)? Or is it scenic the entire day such that we will want to stay on our balcony and view the scenery?

What about the afternoon after we've visited Hubbard Glacier in the morning, is that a good day to book activities around the ship? Or is there anything scenic that afternoon once we leave the glacier that we'll want to stay on our balcony and view the scenery?

Are you going Northbound or Southbound?

I'm assuming Northbound, from the order of your questions. But, if Southbound the Hubbard morning will have valuable lectures setting up the naturalist and wildlife aspects of the cruise. On a Northbound cruise, this might be a good time to book those other activities.

Are you going Northbound or Southbound?

I'm assuming Northbound, from the order of your questions. But, if Southbound the Hubbard morning will have valuable lectures setting up the naturalist and wildlife aspects of the cruise. On a Northbound cruise, this might be a good time to book those other activities.

We're going Northbound. So we'll book activities for the Hubbard Glacier afternoon. But what about for the Inside Passage day? That's my main question?

We're going Northbound. So we'll book activities for the Hubbard Glacier afternoon. But what about for the Inside Passage day? That's my main question?

The scenery in the Inside Passage is beautiful, but it'll be there all day. You'll have hours to just watch an enjoy from your balcony AND do different things around the ship if you are so inclined. Plus, not matter the ship, you'll have ample space to go topside and check out the views as well. People will come nad go all day, but the decks won't be crowded the way they will be when you go into Hubbard. As much as we loved our first balcony on our Alaska cruise last summer - you still can't see the other side at all, or in front or behind very well. So we spent a lot of time on the balcony, and a lot of time roaming the ship for other views as well. On our northbound, we visited Hubbard from 6am-10am, and then spent the rest of the day well offshore in open water, so depending on the ship andd schedule, that too is a good day to try "inside" ship activities. Hope that helps!

L.J.

The scenery in the Inside Passage is beautiful, but it'll be there all day. You'll have hours to just watch an enjoy from your balcony AND do different things around the ship if you are so inclined. Plus, not matter the ship, you'll have ample space to go topside and check out the views as well. People will come nad go all day, but the decks won't be crowded the way they will be when you go into Hubbard. As much as we loved our first balcony on our Alaska cruise last summer - you still can't see the other side at all, or in front or behind very well. So we spent a lot of time on the balcony, and a lot of time roaming the ship for other views as well. On our northbound, we visited Hubbard from 6am-10am, and then spent the rest of the day well offshore in open water, so depending on the ship andd schedule, that too is a good day to try "inside" ship activities. Hope that helps!

L.J.

Thank you so much! That is very helpful! I really appreciate it! Since we have an aft balcony, we should be able to see both sides and aft at the same time.

L.J.

We just returned from the May 17th Radiance northbound and agree.

The scenery in the Inside Passage is magnificent as is the Hubbard Glacier...if you really want to see it all you need to be off your balcony and out on an open deck...otherwise you are only going to see half of the scenery.

We just returned from the May 17th Radiance northbound and agree.

How was it?! I have so many questions for you, but they're not coming to mind right now. Was Rita's Cantina open for lunch on embarkation day? If so, what hours? Thank you!

The scenery in the Inside Passage is magnificent as is the Hubbard Glacier...if you really want to see it all you need to be off your balcony and out on an open deck...otherwise you are only going to see half of the scenery.

Hmm . . . We specifically got an aft balcony so that we could sit on our balcony during the inside passage day and the Hubbard Glacier. We figured that we'd be able to see both sides and aft all at the same time and have a pretty good view. We'd much prefer to be alone on our balcony than on the open decks with the masses. Will we really not have a decent view?!

We do both. We will do quite a bit of viewing and some activities. When viewing the Glacier we will not do any activities during the viewing.

Keith

Thank you as always! Of course we won't book anything during the time at the Hubbard Glacier. But we will in the afternoon after we've left the glacier. But what I'm really asking about is the Inside Passage day. Thanks!

Aft balcony or not you will still benefit by getting out and walking around the ship. I always go as high up as I can get and I keep checking areas for better views. Please don't limit yourself to one small area.

You'll also find that most passengers get bored with being out on deck even when viewing glaciers. They go inside, have long meals and even nap.

I make a long day of it so I can see as much as possible.

Hmm . . . We specifically got an aft balcony so that we could sit on our balcony during the inside passage day and the Hubbard Glacier. We figured that we'd be able to see both sides and aft all at the same time and have a pretty good view. We'd much prefer to be alone on our balcony than on the open decks with the masses. Will we really not have a decent view?!

Hmm.....no problem, if you just want to have one opportunity to see the scenery the ship is by it....then I am sure you will enjoy it.

Aft balcony or not you will still benefit by getting out and walking around the ship. I always go as high up as I can get and I keep checking areas for better views. Please don't limit yourself to one small area.

You'll also find that most passengers get bored with being out on deck even when viewing glaciers. They go inside, have long meals and even nap.

I make a long day of it so I can see as much as possible.

Thank you! So you would recommend not booking lunch at a specialty restaurant on Inside Passage Day?!

Thank you! So you would recommend not booking lunch at a specialty restaurant on Inside Passage Day?!

Only if the restaurant has windows. Big windows!

Just because I prefer Alaska in the fresh air, doesn't mean that you have to be the same.

Back in the old days of traveling to and from Alaska by ship (barefy cruising but transportation) the ships were very small and really were in the Inside Passage. I'll admit that in cold weather I would sit in a bar by a window and watch the land pass.

Now that ships are so large, they don't cling to the close in views so much but you will see plenty but in a more generic way.

You will see a few billion trees.

Sadly some people are so worn out from traveling to their ship, they do nap through that day of the cruise, but it is their choice to do so.

I really need to feel the separation of Alaska, the distance from the Lower 48 and Vancouver. I need the time, distance and hours of quiet to calm down from my regular life.

Flying into Alaska doesn't give me any of this.

Only if the restaurant has windows. Big windows!

Just because I prefer Alaska in the fresh air, doesn't mean that you have to be the same.

Back in the old days of traveling to and from Alaska by ship (barefy cruising but transportation) the ships were very small and really were in the Inside Passage. I'll admit that in cold weather I would sit in a bar by a window and watch the land pass.

Now that ships are so large, they don't cling to the close in views so much but you will see plenty but in a more generic way.

You will see a few billion trees.

Sadly some people are so worn out from traveling to their ship, they do nap through that day of the cruise, but it is their choice to do so.

I really need to feel the separation of Alaska, the distance from the Lower 48 and Vancouver. I need the time, distance and hours of quiet to calm down from my regular life.

Flying into Alaska doesn't give me any of this.

Very interesting! Thank you so much for sharing this! The Inside Passage will be our first day, so we'll be ready and not tired! We're definitely prioritizing experiencing Alaska over the cruise!

We spent all day and most of the evening on deck watching the scenery through the Inside Passage. The time seemed to fly by. We did walk around a bit, but even going a second time, we wouldn't plan any activities that day. A massage or a meal will be there the next day, but the scenery won't.

We spent all day and most of the evening on deck watching the scenery through the Inside Passage. The time seemed to fly by. We did walk around a bit, but even going a second time, we wouldn't plan any activities that day. A massage or a meal will be there the next day, but the scenery won't.

Really good point! And you're right about dinner too! I forgot it will still be light out in the evening! Thank you so much!

Just my opinion but I do Ak to see things and not to see the inside of the ship. That said, the last time that we were on an AK cruise, there were 3 couples who spent the entire Glacier Bay transit going and coming in the inside spa where they could see nothing outside. Even my 10 year old granddaughter commented on them. Different strokes for different folks.

DON

surprisingly, I couldn't keep my eyes off the scenery. I hardly got enough sleep because it never got dark and there was always something to see. I was always watching while on inside passage. I'm usually all about activities on board so this was a first. You see things you will never see again

You are cruising to Alaska. What do you really want to do? See Mother Nature at her finest or play games with strangers. I bet you will meet a finer type of crowd on the top decks. Do not be the one who ask "Have you seen anything".

Just my opinion but I do Ak to see things and not to see the inside of the ship. That said, the last time that we were on an AK cruise, there were 3 couples who spent the entire Glacier Bay transit going and coming in the inside spa where they could see nothing outside. Even my 10 year old granddaughter commented on them. Different strokes for different folks.

DON

Absolutely! I agree! That is why I asked the question! Now I know not to schedule anything that day!

surprisingly, I couldn't keep my eyes off the scenery. I hardly got enough sleep because it never got dark and there was always something to see. I was always watching while on inside passage. I'm usually all about activities on board so this was a first. You see things you will never see again

Thank you! That sounds amazing! We are so looking forward to it! We can't wait to go!

Archived