Revised Castaway Club "Benefits" - May, 2017

PopFla

They used to have some of that. For several years there was the "platinum experience." This was an adult only behind the scenes tour. Some of the titles were similar to "general public" tours' date=' but the experience was much different. We had already done the "general" tours that were available. In the Platinum experience, we did the theatre experience where we got to ride the lifts, see how the fancy lighting worked, got up close with some of the costumes, etc. We did the VIP galley tour which included a collection of some of the recipes, champagne was served, and we got to go to a lot more areas than the general galley tour. We did the stingray/animal research tour at Castaway Cay. There may have been more, but I clearly remember these.

There used to be a food gift in your stateroom. [b']We started with about 5 or 6 choices, then it dropped to a fruit plate, box of truffles (5 pieces), or a bottle of sparkling wine.[/b] At one point there was $25 off any purchase of $100 or more in the gift shops; it had to be at least $100 in one purchase. Then it dropped to 10% off most purchases; select items were not eligible. Trust me, we knew how to group our purchases to make that $100 minimum. Of course the danger in waiting is that they do run out of items in the shops. And for a while the platinum OBC on a 7 or more night rebooking on board was $350 as well as the 10% discount. There were lesser amounts for gold and for shorter cruises....last I knew it was $200 for 7 or more nights and they had exempted many cruises--generally holidays and some of the specialty cruises like the British Isles last summer.

Sorry, this didn't start out to be a grumpy post. My point is that they used to do the things you suggested. But as others have pointed out, they have no need to offer perks as they nearly fill ships most of the time. The same applies to the cabanas--why discount them when they fill up at the full price?

Did they drop that with the recent changes? We got it as recently as September.

Fair enough. I used to love the program and took advantage of the benefits regularly. It is just one of the many things that have changed on DCL As DCL chooses to reduce the benefits--sometimes a little' date=' sometimes a lot--it sends a signal that they don't value my business as much as they used to.

As someone said, they don't need me. They have plenty of new cruisers who fill or almost fill their ships on every sailing. And they are well aware that that as a statistical average, the fewer cruises someone has done, the more they spend in addition to the cruise fare. Those are high profit expenditures.[/quote']

I could cut and paste your post and place it on almost any other board on Cruise Critic and it would be fitting. Posters from each board all say the same thing as you posted just for their specific cruise line of choice., it's just more in your face because it's your line of choice.

Bill

Not as soon as you, but on the Fantasy.

Nice. We're on her in October. Are you doing the Eastern or Western? We're doing the Eastern and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing in Tortola. We've already seen the Baths.

Have a great cruise. Don't forget to come back and let us know.

Thanks, will do.

• 3 weeks later...