Wine Package

G&T Cruisers

We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam Dec.23-Jan.6 and were considering ordering a wine package and we were wondering if it is worth ordering in advance of the cruise or just waiting until we get onboard.:D

Also our itinerary has changed again from St.Maarten to St.Croix to now going to St.Thomas we will see what happens with our other ports of call,we are not all that worked up about the changes as we are on a beautiful ship in the Caribbean away from the cold and snow.:D

I don't believe there is an advantage to purchasing in advance of the cruise (other than pre-paying for it for budgetary purposes). I've had no issues purchasing a wine package onboard; they're more than happy to sell it to you. I have read about that some have had issues getting their preferred choice of wine so you might want to wait until boarding, to find out what exactly is available, if that is important to you.

I don't believe there is an advantage to purchasing in advance of the cruise (other than pre-paying for it for budgetary purposes). I've had no issues purchasing a wine package onboard; they're more than happy to sell it to you. I have read about that some have had issues getting their preferred choice of wine so you might want to wait until boarding, to find out what exactly is available, if that is important to you.

We wait until we're onboard because we want to see if there are substitutions. The cost is the same either way if you're paying full price. I don't know how 3 or 4-star Mariner discounts work for advance purchases, but on board, the discount is applied when we purchase a package.

I always wait until I am onboard to order. Easier and we can see the availability.

Ordering on line the higher * Mariners pay full price and then need to deal with the refund on board.

It's so easy to order a wine package on board (and I think the wine stewards benefit more from ordering on board) that I prefer to do so.

I always wait until I am onboard to order. Easier and we can see the availability.

Ordering on line the higher * Mariners pay full price and then need to deal with the refund on board.

It's so easy to order a wine package on board (and I think the wine stewards benefit more from ordering on board) that I prefer to do so.

Agree with this 100% - order onboard.

Definitely wait until you're on-board. And always ask about availability of the different wines first, as several times some of the wines have been in short supply. So while we usually take the Admiral's package, if all of the "good" wines (in our opinion) are missing, it's been better to step down to the Navigator package.

Also on our South American cruise earlier this year, they had a special South American wine package, which was both a good deal and an opportunity to sample some new wines.

And FYI, wine stewards receive a gratuity based on who opens each bottle of wine, not based on who sells you the wine package.