HAL no longer takes bags to airport FLL

marluvs2go

We were surprised to find out so just be prepared to deal with your luggage until your flight time. We fly at 530 so cannot check in luggage until 5 hours prior. Ended up with day room Rodeway Inn free shuttles

I signed up for the Luggage Direct for our Nieuw Amsterdam 12/18 cruise and have the receipt. Is this the service you are talking about? Did you sign up in advance and then they cancelled once you were on the ship?

There was no Luggage Direct on my Eurodam cruise that came back yesterday November 19 to FLL. My flight was at 9pm on Jetblue. I ended up taking a HAL tour and checking my bag at the sidewalk with a slight bribe at 1pm.

But is that because it was never offered or was it offered on your cruise and then they cancelled after people signed up for it??

Carnival stopped this program in FL in August , I'm not surprised HAL followed suit.

I was excited when I saw it on HAL's site, guess now I'm going to have book some overpriced HAL excursion to the Everglades post cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by IndyDenise

There was no Luggage Direct on my Eurodam cruise that came back yesterday November 19 to FLL. My flight was at 9pm on Jetblue. I ended up taking a HAL tour and checking my bag at the sidewalk with a slight bribe at 1pm.

I know that HAL has always only offered the Luggage Direct service on certain airlines. Could it be that the problem was Jetblue? Sure hope so. I rely on the service when flying Delta.

I know that HAL has always only offered the Luggage Direct service on certain airlines. Could it be that the problem was Jetblue? Sure hope so. I rely on the service when flying Delta.

I hope so because I'm flying Delta and it was offered on the HAL website for our December cruise and I signed up and have my receipt. That's why I'm particularly interested in this thread. I hope HAL doesn't cancel my booking!! I haven't heard a thing (except this thread) as of yet.

I hope so because I'm flying Delta and it was offered on the HAL website for our December cruise and I signed up and have my receipt. That's why I'm particularly interested in this thread. I hope HAL doesn't cancel my booking!! I haven't heard a thing (except this thread) as of yet.

May I suggest that you call Ship Services on Monday and receive a definitive answer as to whether Luggage Direct is or is not available?

May I suggest that you call Ship Services on Monday and receive a definitive answer as to whether Luggage Direct is or is not available?

Thanks. I need to call them Monday for something else anyway. I will also ask them about Luggage Direct, since I have already signed up and have the receipt!!

I would like to know too if this is with Luggage Direct. We plan to use it in January (but were told we can't book it yet, the company HAL uses doesn't have their calendar out that far yet).

I will be very disappointed if this service isn't available. :(

Thanks. I need to call them Monday for something else anyway. I will also ask them about Luggage Direct, since I have already signed up and have the receipt!!

I just told DH about this thread (He's the one who spoke with HAL). I misunderstood him, apparently HAL told him to call that company direct, because they don't handle it now. When he called the company, it was them who told him their calendar doesn't go out that far (January) and to call back.

It sounds to me that all bookings have to be done before the cruise now, and not through HAL :confused:....Snooksi, I don't know about your situation but would hope it will be honored since it was done ahead of time and not during your cruise. Let us know please.

I just told DH about this thread (He's the one who spoke with HAL). I misunderstood him, apparently HAL told him to call that company direct, because they don't handle it now. When he called the company, it was them who told him their calendar doesn't go out that far (January) and to call back.

It sounds to me that all bookings have to be done before the cruise now, and not through HAL :confused:....Snooksi, I don't know about your situation but would hope it will be honored since it was done ahead of time and not during your cruise. Let us know please.

I am sitting here looking at my confirmation and it was booked through HAL's website but it looks like it is the actual carriers' website because it is maketraveleasier.com HAL must have just had the LINK on their website. Then the confirmation gives me a number and tells me the total amount it will be with my luggage costs already added (they even have it written that Delta charges $25/bag which is correct and we'll have 3 bags). I booked this on 10/26 and the web address is (short version) maketraveleasier.com/holland/order/view/ and then the confirmation number. I know it's not listed on my HAL reservations anywhere or with anything else I already booked through HAL (excursions, wine, OBC, etc) I just have my confirmation receipt.

I just listed all of the previous information in case it helps someone more familiar with HAL than I am. Maybe this will make sense to you? This will be our first HAL cruise, so I don't know the ins and outs or how anything works like some of you who have cruised HAL numerous times.

Whatever I learn when I call HAL tomorrow, I will post the information here.

I also am waiting to sign up for a cruise in January.

I just called on Friday and they told me that I should be able to book Luggage Direct in a week or two.

Luggage Direct is still on HAL's website, and the Luggage Direct website works too. I just can't book for 2017 yet.

I hope the luggage company didn't go belly up or something. If they did it had to have happen since Friday.

I have used this service several times before and I always booked it directly on the ship at the front desk or through a paper that came to my room. I have always flown Jetblue to FL and it was always offered. I had no idea that it was no longer available until I tried to book it. I was told there are lockers in Terminal 3, but that not all of the terminals have them.

Another reason to stay over an extra day. I am among the last to leave the ship, relax at a hotel and fly the next day. I easily find my luggage in the near empty terminal. Porters help me through customs and into a cab or shuttle, Hotel bell service takes bags to room and back to cab or shuttle the next day. Check bags at curb, then pick them up at home airport.

Are Rodeway inn's free shuttle both from port to hotel and hotel to airport? Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes they are free. The day room with tax comes to $73.00. We were picked up at the port in about 15 minutes. We got off the ship late so we checked in our room about 11:30 had lunch in the Pub then hurried out to get on shuttle to FLL at 2:55 for 5:30 flight. If one has more time the pool was nice and the room was clean.

Last night we made luggage direct reservations for FLL on American Airlines (Nuew Amsterdam mid Dec); we have a confirmation and a notice that we will be charged thru our shipboard account once the cruise commences. It's a bit hard to find on the HAL website but it seems straightforward after that. We accessed the correct site thru the search feature which then transferred to our booked guests portal. There's a mention that the service in a limited fashion initially will expand to Copenhagen soon with just a couple of airlines initially so this does not sound like an option that is going away.