Rotterdam Lanai

suznjune

I have cabin 3368 booked. I just realized that it is under the very front of the galley area (even tho the HAL rep said it was not). I cannot find comments about noise for this specific cabin. Has anyone been in this cabin who could inform me? TIA :)

Don't know if it's against the rules, but you will get the definitive answer at the link below. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k8527137-o300-HAL_Amsterdam_Rotterdam_Volendam_Zaandam_cabin_choices-Cruises.html#94671539

Many people that travel on HAL end up asking this guy. Here is a link to the Holland America Rotterdam pdf document. It is most important to look around that room to see what potential noise there could be. Those open spaces tend to be where staff is working or where there are supplies.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/rt.pdf

After you get the answer, and if you don't like it, then contact your booking agency and you might be able to get it changed.

Thank you. I read that whole thread!!! I just changed to a new cabin further forward.

What is it that you like about a Lanai cabin ?

Considering this ship for a 2020 14 night Eastern Med cruise .We know that the Linai doors open to the promenade .My question is more focused about sitting in the chairs outside & or the convenience to have a easier view of the ocean .Is that why you like a Lanai cabin ?

Lanai cabins on the Rotterdam and other R class ships used to be Ocean View, but they put a sliding glass door out onto the Promenade deck and call it a Lanai cabin. Regular private balcony cabins on those ships are called suites, and have a much higher price than equivalent cabin on a Vista class and higher ship. You do have 2 private lounge chairs outside of your lanai door, and a sign specifying that these chairs are for Lanai cabin guests only. Most guests pay attention to the signs, but you may have to occasionally boot some guests who choose to ignore the signs. Usually, just open your door, and if there's someone sitting there, point to the sign and they will leave.

There is some noise from the galley on the deck above. Check cruise deck plans dot com and put both decks side-by-side and you will see what is above you. We had cabin 3376 on the Rotterdam, and the dish washing part of the galley was above us. There was some noise early in the morning, but not bad enough to wake you up.

Thanks so much for info!! We’re doing San Diego to FLL Panama Cruise 3/11/20 always have a suite on HAL but chose the Lanai since we will than be on Oceania out of Miami Doing 2 B2B’s

TA to Rome and then on to Venice leaving on 3/27/20.

Our room 3366!! Got ours switched too thanks to our CCERS with this thread!

Much appreciated.

Sincerely

Denise 😊

Thank you. I read that whole thread!!! I just changed to a new cabin further forward.

Your welcome. I found out about him a few years ago, and he really knows what he is talking about. Obviously alot of people seek help from him with cabin selection.

What is it that you like about a Lanai cabin ?

Considering this ship for a 2020 14 night Eastern Med cruise .We know that the Linai doors open to the promenade .My question is more focused about sitting in the chairs outside & or the convenience to have a easier view of the ocean .Is that why you like a Lanai cabin ?

I am trying a Lanai for the first time. We always have been in balcony on prior cruises. Price difference on this ship made me choose a Lanai for fresh air access. Need to remember to be dressed before I open that door on this trip :p

We were on Rotterdam in 2016 for VOTV. On the second leg, we stayed near the aft on deck 7, and could smell stuff cooking way up in the deck 7 hallway. We did a lot of walking to the forward elevators for our sea days yarn fest.

I tried moving from Starboard to Port hallway, and found it worse in the port hallway.

Lanai cabins on the Rotterdam and other R class ships used to be Ocean View, but they put a sliding glass door out onto the Promenade deck and call it a Lanai cabin. Regular private balcony cabins on those ships are called suites, and have a much higher price than equivalent cabin on a Vista class and higher ship. You do have 2 private lounge chairs outside of your lanai door, and a sign specifying that these chairs are for Lanai cabin guests only. Most guests pay attention to the signs, but you may have to occasionally boot some guests who choose to ignore the signs. Usually, just open your door, and if there's someone sitting there, point to the sign and they will leave.

There is some noise from the galley on the deck above. Check cruise deck plans dot com and put both decks side-by-side and you will see what is above you. We had cabin 3376 on the Rotterdam, and the dish washing part of the galley was above us. There was some noise early in the morning, but not bad enough to wake you up.

Thanks for posting this information :)

Had a Rotterdam lanai in April and loved it. My friend and I enjoyed the option of opening the door and walking the Promenade Deck, even late at night. We had room service delivered for lunch one day and ate in our deck chairs. We never had a problem with anyone sitting in our chairs, although we hardly ever sat there ourselves. We were either walking the Promenade or snoozing on the heated loungers at the spa!

I would definitely consider this type of cabin again. Make certain you bring in your cushions at night, so you can put them out first thing in the morning. The crew does wash down the deck at night and remove the cushions beforehand. Sometimes, they didn't get the cushions back on fast enough in the morning, so we'd just use the ones we stored in our cabin. Also, pack at least two clothespins to make certain your drapes close. The curtains tend to leave a gap when closed. People can see into the cabin at night if the drapes are not securely closed. Someone else gave us this tip, and I'm so glad they did.

In our Rotterdam cruise in Lanai cabin 3376, we noticed that the deck crew would come by around 7:00 pm and remove the cushions on the deck chairs, and after washing down the decks early the next morning, they come by with a cart of cushions and replace them around 6:00 AM.

I was also concerned about people passing by on the Promenade deck and looking into the cabin. The glass door and window are very heavy glass and coated with a reflective film that made it impossible to see in, even at night. Just to verify this, I turned on every light in the cabin, and went outside. Standing on the Promenade deck, all I could see was my own reflection, as if I were looking into a mirror. I actually pressed my nose to the glass door and all I could see was the glow of the ceiling lights inside the cabin. I could not make out any people, furniture, or anything inside the cabin. I can guarantee you that no one can see into the Lanai cabins, day or night. Yes, the Promenade deck is well lighted at night. If you need total darkness for sleeping the clothes pins holding the drapes completely closed will help. The little bit of light coming through the small gap in the curtains provides just enough light in the cabin to act like a night light. Not an issue for us. But if you want total darkness, bring a few clothes pins.

• 4 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, sevenseasnomad said:

Had a Rotterdam lanai in April and loved it.

What cabin did you have?  We would like to do a Lanai on the Rotterdam.  Wondering if any Guarantee Lanai is just about as good as another?

• 2 months later...

We are on the Rotterdam now, docked in Key West.  We booked Lanai 3368.  It is great, our first Lanai, can't add anymore than what is posted above, except a few tidbits:Noise level, not a problem from above, we can hear enough to know there is something up there, but it is not a big deal.

Love going out on the promenade, our deck door has some moisture between glass, but okay, doesn't bother us.

People cannot see in walking by, but I went out, and looked through the glass like a peeper would, and you can see inside, not real well, but you can.  So shut those curtains at night.

Not cramped, just adjust!  I think a bit better storage than Zuiderdam or Eurodam, just saying, it is more well organized.

We would book a Lanai anytime!