Airline delays

stev5138

Just read a notice that due to labor issues American Airlines experiencing a large number of flight delays and some cancelations. Wall Street Journal is advising travelers with deadlines to avoid the airline until the issues are resolved.

I wanted to book my flight in December with AA, but decided against it as who knows what would happen. Most news from them these days shows a downward spiral.

I ultimately booked with US (which I loathe) because I wanted to feel more secure about the flights. If a deal between US and AA falls through, I just hope it doesn't hurt US up until after my cruise.

I always book to fly in the day before, so hopefully they would get you there sometime. I live in Dallas so I hear the pilots gripping on the news. Their contract was thrown out, and they are not happy.

They have not gone on strike.. but they are doing what they can to harm AA until AA signs a contract they find acceptable.

Just read a notice that due to labor issues American Airlines experiencing a large number of flight delays and some cancelations. Wall Street Journal is advising travelers with deadlines to avoid the airline until the issues are resolved.

Our return trip home from our cruise on Monday from San Juan was very

disrupted. Delays of 3-5 hours leaving San Juan were common. This, of

course, created problems with connecting flights and luggage. I was 5 hours late getting home and then, had no luggage. My mother was 3 hours late and also, no luggage. AA said it was maintenance issues but I think your explanation makes more sense. I flew to Las Vegas and Mom

flew to St. Louis. I was very disappointed with AA. I didn't feel very

comfortable leaving my 87 year old mother in San Juan when they changed our flights. We were originally supposed to fly to Miami together and then, I would get her on her flight before boarding mine to LV. She got rerouted through DFW. She had a special angel who reassured me he would look after her and help her if she needed help. He was a special young man who was another delayed passenger.

I always book to fly in the day before, so hopefully they would get you there sometime. I live in Dallas so I hear the pilots gripping on the news. Their contract was thrown out, and they are not happy.

They have not gone on strike.. but they are doing what they can to harm AA until AA signs a contract they find acceptable.

So, fire, what are the pilots "gripping" about?

They must be gripping to the luggage to keep it from being put on the plane, therefore causing a delay. ;)

I heard a news story today about them causing delays all over the place. They claim it's not orchestrated, but it sure looks that way. I used to fly AA exclusively (many flights throughout the year to and from DFW, AA's hub)... not so much anymore. Oh well... many other options.

The airlines offered them their last offer contract and the pilots said no deal, so AA went to court to make them fly with no contract.

So pilots are doing a slow down.

Its against the law says AA to strike a bankrupt company is how they are keeping the pilots flying at this point with no contract.

First court upheld the pilots contract .. but the second court threw out the existing contract allowing aa to offer them less than they were making under the contract in existance when aa went bankrupt... aa says the pilots have to accept less, you have no choice.

I didnt know there was a law preventing strikes against a bankrupt company .. but thats what our news says. I just listen as it seems to be on every week with the back and forth.

Just throwing this out there---

Check the exclusions on the Travel Insurance carefully.

Reading the Travel Guard exclusions was a laundry list of now defunct and currently bankrupt travel companies. American Airlines was on the list. Basically if she had booked American she would have been SOL if there was a problem. Last flight DD took was a British Airways codeshare. ONT-FCO with two stops. First two flights (ONT-Dallas, Dallas-LHR) were on American.

If there was a problem she would have been ok because she booked thru BA.

True, they can not strike with approval from the FAA which is highly unlikely. Today pilots were calling in sick, several flights were cancelled. This is why we always buy travel insurance, crap shoot, sure, but things go south you have pretty good protection. Hopefully AA merges with US Air, believe it or not we like AA. We fly often the the Caribbean and from Colorado, AA is great for us.

Just throwing this out there---

Check the exclusions on the Travel Insurance carefully.

Reading the Travel Guard exclusions was a laundry list of now defunct and currently bankrupt travel companies. American Airlines was on the list. Basically if she had booked American she would have been SOL if there was a problem. Last flight DD took was a British Airways codeshare. ONT-FCO with two stops. First two flights (ONT-Dallas, Dallas-LHR) were on American.

If there was a problem she would have been ok because she booked thru BA.

Thats good to know as we are booked thru BA for our flight friday the 28th to Hawaii....2 1/2 layover in Dallas so hope no problems with connecting flights.. Dennis

I wanted to book my flight in December with AA, but decided against it as who knows what would happen. Most news from them these days shows a downward spiral.

I ultimately booked with US (which I loathe) because I wanted to feel more secure about the flights. If a deal between US and AA falls through, I just hope it doesn't hurt US up until after my cruise.

In order for a deal to fall thru, there has to be a deal right? The only thing that has happened is they signed a non-disclosure agreement that allows for the exchange of information. AA has signed the same deal with the parent company of British Airways.

Childless union games..........that's why I drive to port or I don't go. In the end they just make the folks mad the pay for their salaries.

I see you are from Memphis , its kinda hard to drive to Hawaii from Collierville...But we are using BA airmiles for our flight and the 2 tickets are only $52.........Dennis

We are flying AA from Los Angeles to San Juan Puerto Rico for our cruise , we are flying in the day before and flying First Class , so hopefully no issues, if so hopefully our First Class status will help , but there are 4 of us flying. Crossing fingers . Also I made sure we had at least 2 hours in between legs of the flight since we have to stop in Dallas on the way there and Miami on the way back. So hopefully if there is a delay its small

Hate to see this. We have two flights booked for our upcoming Miami cruises. We are flying in two days early each trip and its a direct flight so hopefully things will be ok by November.

We are going to drive to the closer ports from now on to cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

According to the LA Times http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-american-airlines-20120919,0,7237808.story they are cancelling 1%-2% of their flights. You can get text updates of your flights status. Text your flight # airport code date to 35922. So it would be 123 jfk 9-22 for a flight 123 from JFK on September 22. Once you get the information text more back to them and you will be signed up for updates. I am scheduled to fly AA next week for our cruise leaving from Honolulu. We planned on spending time on Kauai first so we have a 4 day cushion, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I'm glad we have that cushion.

The deal with the pilots is pretty simple, they are ticked off that they won't get a massive pay raise. They are also ticked that AA will no longer be financing their pension. Boohoo. Sorry you wont get paid $300,000++ to fly an airplane for 40 hours a month. Get over it or move to another airline.

So, since they are so ticked off about not being to monetarily rape AA, they have decided to use sick outs and maintenance as their way to screw the company, the other employees, and sadly the customers. They are writing up things like light bulbs over seats and refusing to fly the plane until it is fixed. It's simply ridiculous. Don't hate AA for what is happening, hate the pilots. The pilots and their union are doing this to you, not AMR, not AA, not maintenance, it is the pilots. Put blame where it is really deserved.

Can you tell I have absolutely no sympathy for the pilots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its on our news now (Dallas is aa's home).

65 flights cancelled today.

and the system is moving "slow", more pilots are calling in sick and maintenance issues as mentioned above slowing things down.

customers are telling others to fly someone else.

AA says they are sorry.

Archived