Roomate cant travel

ppmanusa

My roommate is sick and unable to travel. I still want to go on the trip, we do have insurance. What are my options, do I tell HAL the person wont be traveling or say nothing.

You must tell them, immediately if not sooner. Otherwise they will hold the sailaway manifest while waiting for the phantom passenger to board (other folks know more about this than I do). And you MAY not get properly reimbursed by insurance if you withhold the info. And there may be other repercussions. Call your travel agent, call HAL, call the insurance folks. They will want all the medical records, doctors' notes, etc. Some medical conditions aren't covered, and it depends on how soon before departure, etc. But you yourself can still go anyway. Try to find another travel buddy if at all possible--but you still have to tell them all right away!

The person who is not traveling will be the one to get and submit the medical recorrds. They ar e not the property of the OP The 'patient, has to provide the copies for a ny insurrance claims t hat are submitted.

I have read here on several cruise lines, where the remaining passenger sailing has had to pay the single supplement. OP will be responsible for that extra payment unless OP can find someone else to sail with them.

Insurance doesn't cover that extra cost.

Yes, i have read the same and have read some people suggesst to not tell the cruise line in advance the roomie is not sailin.g they can just 'not show. I have no idea how that would impact the insurance claim. IF the no show collects from insurrance, one would think they would reimburse the roomie who goes anyhway.. for aditional cost because of the 'no show. I know I would.

Just me complaining, but since the line won't be refunding the fare to the passenger who doesn't travel, fairness dictates that they shouldn't have any interest in extracting more money from the passenger who does.

But I'm sure it doesn't work that way, which means it's a good thing both of you have insurance.

There's also a worry about the single supplement. Doesn't the cruise line adjust the remaining passenger's fare up to include the single supplement?

Anybody know if the insurance company covers that?

Coverage by insurance of a single supplement when a pax can’t go depends on the policy purchased.

Note that the HAL CPP does not include include single supplements.

If the OP and their travelling companion both bought the same travel insurance at the same time for their cruise then this usually, but not always, covers the costs involved if one person has to cancel. This can include both parties cancelling the trip or just on person cancelling and the other going on the cruise. Any additional cost for single supplements are often covered.

If you purchased the insurance through the cruise line and it includes the cancel for any reason provision then this is where it seems that the cruise line is most lightly to want the single supplement as the actual true insurance does not kick in until 24 or 48 hrs before the cruise. Until then it is the cruise line itself that is refunding the money.

I would not tell HAL until after you have talked with the insurance company(ies).

Thank you everyone....

This is my situation and may not reflect anyone else's terms and conditions. We purchased our insurance from our TA.

Had a 3-way call with the TA and HAL and under the terms I purchased the cruise. There would be a cancellation fee. That said asked how to approach it, either at embarkation or notifying HAL directly, didn't matter.

Of course my next question was if there was a supplement fee? Nope only the cancellation fee.

Ok but we have included gratuities and OBC and some other goodies. All good

Next call Insurance:

The cruise fare and taxes are covered. Purchased the airfare from another website so it wasn't covered under the policy. Lesson learned.

Killing you all but the cancellation fee $15.99

Sure sounds like you handled the situation very well and that it ended in your favor. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Now do we on CC need to set up a "Fund Me" page to cover your cancellation fee? ;):eek:;)

Hoping you have a wonderful cruise.